• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Changes for game 3

See this is that moment as a coach where you say "what can I do to light a fire under my starters"?

If I were Bud I would have all of them not start, even if it were for the first 5-10 minutes of the game.  Show them they can't just put it in cruise control and expect to see the court.  You have to earn it and look like you want it.

Bud has tried the whole consistency thing to develop chemistry but it just hasn't worked and he seems to be stubborn about it and the starters seem too comfortable.

If they aren't going to get they're feathers ruffled by the Cavs domination so far, it's on Bud to do it.

• Moderators

I get that impulse, but I can't imagine their coach embarrassing the starters is going to help things.  If it takes a move like that to get their attention, you are done anyway.  I'd try to pump them up for a home game as much as humanly possible and look to implement some adjustments.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

I get that impulse, but I can't imagine their coach embarrassing the starters is going to help things.  If it takes a move like that to get their attention, you are done anyway.  I'd try to pump them up for a home game as much as humanly possible and look to implement some adjustments.

Agreed - that's just a panic move.

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Agreed - that's just a panic move.

True, but Pop has done similar to Hall Of Famers when he feels they aren't giving 100%. I'm not sure that approach would work with a fragile Hawks team though.  They would just pout.

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

True, but Pop has done similar to Hall Of Famers when feels they aren't giving 100%. I'm not sure that approach would work with a fragile Hawks team though.  They would just pout.

When? which Hall of Famers did he do that to in the playoffs.  He opted to go with Diaw in lieu of Splitter against OKC 2 years ago.  He's never sat any of his hall of famers in the playoffs to start the game for playing horribly.  

What he has done is yank the entire starters early to talk to them and settle them down and send them right back in.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

When? which Hall of Famers did he do that to in the playoffs.  He opted to go with Diaw in lieu of Splitter against OKC 2 years ago.  He's never sat any of his hall of famers in the playoffs to start the game for playing horribly.  

Maybe not at the start, but I remember him giving the staring 5 a quick hook after a bad start. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

Bud has tried the whole consistency thing to develop chemistry but it just hasn't worked and he seems to be stubborn about it and the starters seem too comfortable.

Because he doesn't believe that either of the wing players starting only start on low level lottery teams elsewhere, they simply aren't good enough.

23 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I understand the sentiment and we do have to do something different in terms of game plan, but totally abandoning what we've done all season and trying something new against the Cavs is just a recipe for another beat down.   This isn't high school.   If we can't execute our regular offense we damn sure aren't going to throw a bunch of new wrinkles in there and still hold onto the ball.   The Cavs are too good to get beat by tricks and misdirection.  

Last year I think we lost because we were too banged up and had some nba BS working against us.   This year we just aren't on the same level talent wise from top to bottom.  Sucks but it's true.

Wrong.

The playoffs are won and lost by talent and coaching adjustments.  Bud is coaching "soft" as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wrong.

The playoffs are won and lost by talent and coaching adjustments.  Bud is coaching "soft" as well.

Which part do you think is wrong?   Seems like we are saying the same thing.   

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

What he has done is yank the entire starters early to talk to them and settle them down and send them right back in.

This is 100% correct.  Bud needs to run with his starters and if they come out flat then feel free to emulate Pops and pull them all out and get them on track before sending them back in.   Where Bud can make a move with the lineup is for strategic reasons - if he feels like running big then bench Korver and put Humphries in or something like that.  Don't humiliate all your starters by benching them for most of the opening quarter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

This is 100% correct.  Bud needs to run with his starters and if they come out flat then feel free to emulate Pops and pull them all out and get them on track before sending them back in.   Where Bud can make a move with the lineup is for strategic reasons - if he feels like running big then bench Korver and put Humphries in or something like that.  Don't humiliate all your starters by benching them for most of the opening quarter.

The starters didn't seem to mind humiliating themselves with that pitiful performance on Wednesday.  If they don't show any fire tonight, then yank 'em out and let 'em keep the bench warm.  It's ridiculous that a team could be so unprepared and ready to play as the other night.  The only ones who played like they gave a crap were the group playing at the end.

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Watchman said:

The starters didn't seem to mind humiliating themselves with that pitiful performance on Wednesday.  If they don't show any fire tonight, then yank 'em out and let 'em keep the bench warm.  It's ridiculous that a team could be so unprepared and ready to play as the other night.  The only ones who played like they gave a crap were the group playing at the end.

I see a big difference between benching them all before the game starts and sending out what you think is the best starting lineup and then benching anyone who isn't bringing it.  I'm on board with the latter, not the former.

You guys are worried that yanking the starters is going to hurt the Hawks?  Really?

We lost an easily winnable Game 1 by double digits and got humiliated in Game 2, what are you guys so worried about?  Half a quarter of bench players to send a message isn't going to hurt us anymore than we've already had.

At the very least I agree they should have a very short leash early on.  

@JayBirdHawk at least we can agree that we want the Hawks to go down fighting and scrapping.  If the starters continue to play soft why not put in someone hungrier?  Even if they aren't as talented at least we may see some fight in them.  I'd rather a husting Humphries than a deflated Horford.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, AUhawksfan said:

You guys are worried that yanking the starters is going to hurt the Hawks?  Really?

We lost an easily winnable Game 1 by double digits and got humiliated in Game 2, what are you guys so worried about?  Half a quarter of bench players to send a message isn't going to hurt us anymore than we've already had.

@JayBirdHawk at least we can agree that we want the Hawks to go down fighting and scrapping.  If the starters continue to play soft why not put in someone hungrier?  Even if they aren't as talented at least we may see some fight in them.  I'd rather a husting Humphries than a deflated Horford.

I think benching  all the starts for the first quarter or so of game 3 will be more demoralizing to the entire team than doing  your best to get the entire team pumped and putting whatever you think is the best lineup on the floor to start the game.  I'm focused on optimizing our chances for winning Game 3 and not about punishing the starters at this point of the season.  

We all want the Hawks to get pumped and bring the fight in Game 3.  We just differ on whether benching all the starters is a good way to accomplish that goal.

9 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

I have no issue  yanking them but sitting them all to start the game as some have suggested. .... how do I say this....DUMB.

On 5/5/2016 at 0:41 PM, Thomas said:

I think Humphries would welcome battling for rebounds against Thompson or anybody. Would anyone else on our team? 

I honestly don't think Bud likes tough guys.