• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Could Al Leaving Atlanta Be A Good Thing?

PSSSHHHRRR87

Al use to average over nine rebounds a game and now he is allergic to glass. When he was in the paint his defense was good unless he was outweighed by thirty pounds. Like people have stated, he does seem to be protecting himself physically. When he gets the contract will he be back to form? If so we will really need him. 

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I said months ago that Al Horford was turning into Matt Bonner. I didn't mean that he would fully turn into a Matt Bonner, but he sure as hell is working on it.

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read on this site. This fanbase is Matt Ryan fans bad. So Matt Bonner is a beast defensively. A beast off the ball. A beast on getting blocks. A beast with  offensive and defensive BBIQ. A beast on passes, screens and PnR's. You one star posters are disgusting. 

Edited by NBASupes

Supes you forgot that Bonner was a beast at NOT rebounding the ball just like Hordord has turned into.

Resorting to attacking posters is pretty childish 

if only Horford was as passionate about boxing out and mixing it up inside on the defensive glass as you are about defending his short comings.....

that would be awesome!

• Like 2

Let's worry about dumping the contracts of Splitter and Bazemore before we go about dropping Al. Yes I know he's undersized but y'all have to think with Bud's developmental program surely Edy will turn into a at least decent shot blocker and rebounder I mean the kid averaged like solid handful of blocks in the D-League this season and he already has the one thing we need... Size. So be patient Hawks fans Bud will deliver 

11 minutes ago, gsuteke said:

Supes you forgot that Bonner was a beast at NOT rebounding the ball just like Hordord has turned into.

Resorting to attacking posters is pretty childish 

if only Horford was as passionate about boxing out and mixing it up inside on the defensive glass as you are about defending his short comings.....

that would be awesome!

Horford was on the perimeter defending due to switches and Frye/Love living at the 3 point line especially when Al was on Love. When Sap was on him, Love was taking him to the block like a hoe. On offense, did you not see Al setting screens naw stop for our bigs and wings. Did you guys NOT watch the game?  It would be one thing if the criticism was legit like for Game 2 but this game? Nope. Al was sensational. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

This is one of the dumbest posts I've read on this site. This fanbase is Matt Ryan fans bad. So Matt Bonner is a beast defensively. A beast off the ball. A beast on getting blocks. A beast with  offensive and defensive BBIQ. A beast on passes, screens and PnR's. You one star posters are disgusting. 

You say he has a "beast offensive IQ" despite the fact that he is going further and further outside despite the mid range shot being his best shot. Awesome.

3 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

You say he has a "beast offensive IQ" despite the fact that he is going further and further outside despite the mid range shot being his best shot. Awesome.

He wasn't doing that this game though. He was scoring from an array of positions. 

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cleveland  is a bad example. They have what we don't have on the court - SUPERSTAR.

They can add headcases, and middling  players who look average on other teams but world beaters next to LeBron. You think Tristan  Thompson  gets  that contract without LeBron on that team. How'd he look next to Irving b4 LBJ? How'd  Frye look on the Orlando team b4 being traded?  If we added Frye all you'd  hear is 'we added another SORF jump shooting  big' when we need rim.protection, post play and rebounding.

Looks like the odds are low on SUPERSTAR,  haven't had one since Dominique.  Looks like we all  will have to bide our time till the "Elbow King" retires.

4 minutes ago, Trout7 said:

Looks like the odds are low on SUPERSTAR,  haven't had one since Dominique.  Looks like we all  will have to bide our time till the "Elbow King" retires.

Nique wasn't a true superstar. He was Melo like player. He never got past the 2nd round. Horford has been more successful. We do need a "Nique" though to go with the rest of the guys we have. 

Edited by NBASupes

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Nique wasn't a true superstar. He was Melo like player. He never got past the 2nd round. Horford has been more successful. We do need a "Nique" though to go with the rest of the guys we have. 

Al has been more sucessful?You know that I'm not a Nique fanboy, but you're losing it now.

That's blasphemous. Nique had to go up against all-time teams with no help. Al doesn't lead this team, no one really does. I'm sorry but he ain't getting it done. I'm not trying to pile it all on Al, it's not all his fault. But 1 rebound ain't good enough.

My Dad, the greatest armchair GM/coach/QB/president I know always said rebounding comes down to effort. All bigs got responsibilities on the court so I don't see why excuses should be made for him. Were you really satisfied with what you saw?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Horford was on the perimeter defending due to switches and Frye/Love living at the 3 point line especially when Al was on Love. When Sap was on him, Love was taking him to the block like a hoe. On offense, did you not see Al setting screens naw stop for our bigs and wings. Did you guys NOT watch the game?  It would be one thing if the criticism was legit like for Game 2 but this game? Nope. Al was sensational. 

I peeped early on that Bud had gone to the "switching defense", which occasionally will have the bigs out on the perimeter, and forces the guards to defensive rebound.  Woody used to talk about guard rebounding all the time. 

Horford's rebounding has been an issue all year because I truly believe he's trying to pick and choose when he plays hard.  He's obviously been avoiding going all out to get rebounds unless he's right in the area.  And he rarely puts a body on people to secure good rebounding position ( Millsap is guilty of this as well ).  Only Humphries seeks contact before getting a rebound.

Al was sensational on offense because he was in full attack mode.  Even his jumpers were all in rhythm.  That dunk was spectacular.

But we do need him to rebound.  And if he's not rebounding, we need other people in the game who can hit the boards.  That's why I've been saying all along that the Hawks need to go BIG.

HUMPHRIES - HORFORD - MILLSAP ... that should be your starting frontline for Game 4.  Bud simply has to value rebounding over shooting in this series.  Especially when most of our shooters can't shoot.  He may even have to send an extra person to the offensive boards, to try to get 2nd chance possessions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I peeped early on that Bud had gone to the "switching defense", which occasionally will have the bigs out on the perimeter, and forces the guards to defensive rebound.  Woody used to talk about guard rebounding all the time. 

Horford's rebounding has been an issue all year because I truly believe he's trying to pick and choose when he plays hard.  He's obviously been avoiding going all out to get rebounds unless he's right in the area.  And he rarely puts a body on people to secure good rebounding position ( Millsap is guilty of this as well ).  Only Humphries seeks contact before getting a rebound.

Al was sensational on offense because he was in full attack mode.  Even his jumpers were all in rhythm.  That dunk was spectacular.

But we do need him to rebound.  And if he's not rebounding, we need other people in the game who can hit the boards.  That's why I've been saying all along that the Hawks need to go BIG.

HUMPHRIES - HORFORD - MILLSAP ... that should be your starting frontline for Game 4.  Bud simply has to value rebounding over shooting in this series.  Especially when most of our shooters can't shoot.  He may even have to send an extra person to the offensive boards, to try to get 2nd chance possessions.

Every single point was on point. Anyone including myself should not act like Al is trying to bang and he isn't boxing out to the degree that Humphries is. I will agree with that. 

The last part will not happen. Bud has said all series and season, transition defense is vital. Especially v. Cleveland. Being outgunned limits us in this series.

29 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I agree with the front court lineup for the majority of minutes. If nothing else let's see if it works. Humph really is aggressive on the glass and we are desperate for rebounds due to a flaw in Bud's philosophy. The rebounding flaw. Someone has to get hot from outside too. 

1 hour ago, Kimsey said:

Who is it do you want at the 4 between Horford and Millsap. To me Millsap is superior to Al in almost every category. 

What the hell are you watching? Jon Horford? Yeah, I would agree with that. 

Edited by NBASupes

The d*ck riding on certain players on this site has to stop. The franchise needs wholesale changes. I don't know who should go or stay but changes have to be met.

There is no single player that is untouchable  here.  I would not mind extending Al.  He's decided to extend his overall game out to the perimeter which is fine and all but we need an interior guy does most things in the paint.

Looking at Minnys roster, they really just need a vet pf along with a better pg. They  have a team that caters to his playing style.  I'd wish we could work something out with their pick, if it's even tradeable.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kimsey said:

The d*ck riding on certain players on this site has to stop. The franchise needs wholesale changes. I don't know who should go or stay but changes have to be met.

There is no single player that is untouchable  here.  I would not mind extending Al.  He's decided to extend his overall game out to the perimeter which is fine and all but we need an interior guy does most things in the paint.

Looking at Minnys roster, they really just need a vet pf along with a better pg. They  have a team that caters to his playing style.  I'd wish we could work something out with their pick, if it's even tradeable.

We could trade Millsap since he's you know, under contract since "we" need to stop d*ck riding "players"? 

11 hours ago, AmishBoy said:

Last night I was ready to blow the team up.  This morning I realize we actually have a lot of options to improve.  If Al signs a three year deal like Milsap, but with player options in the second and third year I say bring him back.  Convince him we tweak and get there in the next year or two and if not, he can leave.

A bench with Korver, Mike Scott, Splitter, Hardaway Jr, may not be bad.  We can move Teague or Schröder.  We can move Hardaway as part of a trade or maybe with another year with the team, he's a capable Shooting Guard.  We have assets.

We need a superstar but we can be smart and get better while waiting for the right opportunity.  

Blowing it up means five years of suck with the possibility of being right where we are now in ten years....or maybe a title.

Him signing a deal like Millsap would be great, he could get his mega-max whether it's in ATL or elsewhere next season and if ATL wants to blow it up, Al, Millsap, Korver, Teague could all leave at the same time while ATL could retain their young talent (Dennis, Hardaway) since they'll be RFAs next season.

2017 FA would be better for Al anyways, the FA class is better - Curry, CP3, Blake, Westbrook, the list goes on. Cap rise past the 100 mil mark and teams wouldn't have to gut themselves to afford to put together a super team. 

They need a Boris Diaw/Draymond Green like player bad - somebody who can guard the stretch bigs and SFs without being a liability like if ATL had Millsap at SF to guard a bigger SF, meanwhile giving up size in the post.