• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Horford era has been the most successful era in Atlanta Hawks History. Why the hate for this team from the fanbase?

NBASupes

We have had our best win percentage, defensive percentages, wins, playoff success and ownership during the Horford era than any time in ATLANTA Hawks history. Why is our fanbase so down on this team and especially Horford who by all accounts had been our best player since Dominique Wilkins? Some can say Iso Joe but even the advanced percentages say Horford was our best player from year two on forward. Some will say Deke but Deke's better year in Atlanta was not as good as Horford's 09-10. Some will say Lou Hudson but he measures up with Mookie better than Al in terms of Hawks impact. 

The Horford Era- 45.6 wins (411 wins). When Horford wasn't out for two years and played: 356 wins - 188 losses (Al was 23-17 during his injury years). During the Nique Era- 38.9 wins (467 wins) and the year where Nique was traded the 34-15 year.  His overall wins 467-466. 

The Nique era was the 2nd best in Hawks history to the Horford. Deke was only here for four years. So why the hate by the fans? 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

We have had our best win percentage, defensive percentages, wins, playoff success and ownership during the Horford era than any time in ATLANTA Hawks history. Why is our fanbase so down on this team and especially Horford who by all accounts had been our best player since Dominique Wilkins? Some can say Iso Joe but even the advanced percentages say Horford was our best player from year two on forward. Some will say Deke but Deke's better year in Atlanta was not as good as Horford's 09-10. Some will say Lou Hudson but he measures up with Mookie better than Al in terms of Hawks impact. 

The Horford Era- 45.6 wins (411 wins). When Horford wasn't out for two years and played: 356 wins - 188 losses (Al was 23-17 during his injury years). During the Nique Era- 38.9 wins (467 wins) and the year where Nique was traded the 34-15 year.  His overall wins 467-466. 

The Nique era was the 2nd best in Hawks history to the Horford. Deke was only here for four years. So why the hate by the fans? 

I don't see it as hate, but rather frustration and the sense that we cannot advance beyond the current state without a significant remodel.  I think people are just tired of the roller coaster ride.  One day he's great, the next day not really much production.  The same can be said for Teague, Schröder, Al and Korver, but the bottom line is we have got to become more consistent and we need more firepower. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nathan2331 said:

This was the most important season of his career and he took a step back. People had reasonable expectations of him this season, and he didn't meet them. Simple as that.

How did he take a step back? His defensive impact is as high as any of his previous seasons. Offensively, his in the paint production is down I would agree with that. Where is his automatic mid-range jumper? He was very good and above league average for his position this year but he's been with Dirk and sometimes the best in the NBA at it regardless of position is year's past. He ended up taking a lot more threes which has been so-so results at best. He ran the court as well as he did five years ago and his blocks are very high in total. This might have been his best defensive year. His rebounding chances are down but his defensive movement and responsibilities are up. So what is it? 

Resigning Horford and the financial terms associated with it should be associated with future as opposed to prior performance.

his next contract should not be a lifetime achievement award.

the arc is clearly pointing downward with Horford.  He is passing the prime of his career at this point.  If he were an exceptional top 10 player then obviously you would take that into account.  He isn't.

• Like 4

My biggest issue with the Hawks in the Horford era is this. They had no fit with a lot of talent and they had fit with decent talent and decent fit with decent talent this year. We need to get back to the talent we had in the Joe-Al-Smoove era we the fit of the current era. That talent with this fit would be so much better. 

• Like 1

This was his best defensive year. But he's taken a step back on offense as well as rebounding. Now, you can analyze and say that it's down to how Bud is using him in the and I'd agree to an extent. But at the end of the day, as a leader on the team he's supposed to raise his level of play, and I haven't seen that. This is the biggest series of his career but he doesn't play like it. We should have won games 1 & 3, I don't care how much talent the Cavs have and we don't. It was there for us and we didn't fight for it. That's what is pissing me off with this team. Why keep the team together if THEY don't believe they can win.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Moderators

Horford had 1 rebound last night... The rebounding issue are not all Horford's fault, but when your center is jacking up threes, it usually means no one is under the hoop collecting boards. I'd rather keep Horf over Sap but Sap is under contract... Sap hasn't proven to be an option at SF, so it maybe in the interest of both sides to move on. It's really hard to win playoff games when you're one-and-done on the offensive end and then giving up second-chance points on the other end. We need a legit center and 20ppg SF/SG. Korver needs to be a bench player moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Moderators

I'd call it disillusionment.  It has been a rough playoffs for Al and people who thought this team could contend with Al as the best player are realizing they can't contend.  This team hasn't won a game beyond the second round in the Al era and many hoped for more.

That feeling is disillusionment that it will never happen.

• Like 2

When your expected to be a leader and one of the best players on the team you have to show up and play big in the playoffs simple as that. When you don't then are you really a player that can be depended on during the most important part of the season. Also do you want to give a ton of money to a player not producing like he should in the playoffs. Hawks seemingly have made that mistake with Sap will that happen to Horford? I think Al needs to play power forward and while I wouldn't pay him max dollars I'd py a good amount to keep him. It would mean Sap could be gone and others to get the pieces needed to compete with the Cavs.  

Edited by thescout5

The fan base was encouraged after the '14 playoffs loss to the # 1 seed.  The result was respectable, without Al.  Al is the elder statesman and "captain" of this team, the last two playoff exits have not been respectable, like all but the first under Joe.  This franchise just wets the bed under optimistic expectations.  Al and Jeff were present for the first sweep versus LeBron, and he had a shell of Love and Irving then.  Al and Jeff unfortunately represent playoff futility to a majority of the fanbase.

I appreciate Al a great deal but loathe how his game has changed.  I can only see him being a championship piece sandwiched between an All-Star caliber 3 and 7 foot banger.  Scoring and toughness is s lot to have to compensate for in a player set to possibly make in excess of $30 million 5 years from now.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AHF said:

I'd call it disillusionment.  It has been a rough playoffs for Al and people who thought this team could contend with Al as the best player are realizing they can't contend.  This team hasn't won a game beyond the second round in the Al era and many hoped for more.

That feeling is disillusionment that it will never happen.

Supes is right though.  No one in Atlanta Hawks history has won a game past the 2nd round.  So why should others hold that against Horford?

Here are the teams and players that put Horford and the Hawks out:

2008 - Boston ( World Champs - 3 Hall of Famers: Pierce, Garnett, Allen )

2009 - Cleveland ( EC Finalist - 1 Hall of Famer: Lebron )

2010 - Orlando ( EC Finalists -  1 Hall of Famer: Howard )

2011 - Chicago ( EC Finalists - Rose was league MVP )

2012 - Boston ( EC Finalists - Horford was hurt, but came back in the middle of the series )

2013 - Indiana ( EC Finalists - 1 potential Hall of Famer: George )

2014 - Indiana ( EC Finalists - Horford was injured )

2015 - Cleveland ( NBA Finalist - Lebron, with Love and Kyrie potential Hall of Famers )

Dominique went through the same thing, but his path was even tougher.

People are mad that Horford grabbed 1 rebound in a game in which we almost got out rebounded by 30 ( which is incredible ).  But without Horford's 22 points, we get blown out ... again.

Here's what people forget, when they talk about tanking.  Horford was the 3rd pick in the 2007 Draft behind Oden and Durant.   Only 4 All Stars have come out of that draft.  Durant, Marc Gasol, Joakim Noah, and Al Horford.

Durant has been to a NBA Final and 2 Conference Finals.  

Horford, Gasol, and Noah have been to 1 Conference Final apiece, and have a 1 - 12 record.

• Like 2

• Moderators

No Atlanta Hawks team has won a game beyond the second round and the fans hate that.  I think a lot of them are concluding the Horford Hawks won't do that either and they had previously thought this bunch would or at least could eventually "break through" for that elusive post-second-round win.  Thus, the disillusionment.

As for the one rebound, Horford is the biggest guy in our rotation.  Our getting mauled on the boards lost us the game.  The scoring was a step in the right direction but not enough.  Add in that rebounding is more about effort than anything else and you can see why that single rebound rubs people the wrong way.

• Like 2

Horford's mild-mannered personality doesn't do him any favors with fans and the media during times of duress.  Neither does the linen blend sweaters with the sleeves rolled up he fancies wearing.

Edited by benhillboy

I guess for most it's  the fact that the Hawks will more likely than not max him this offseason and his showing  in the playoffs so far has shown he's  NOT worth it.