• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kenny Smith Says Hawks Have Had Chance Superstar

thescout5

I watched the after game show on TNT with Barkley,Smith and O'Neal. Kenny Smith says in the past the Hawks have had chances to get a superstar who might be disgruntled elswehere but the Hawks never pursued it because the team was playing well in the season. O'Neal said the Hawks won't compete for a championship unless they get a superstar. Barkley and the rest mentioned the Hawks have some difficult decisions coming up with Horford etc etc. Maybe Schröder or Teague can be dealt to help other needs.

Does anyone recall what superstars could have been available the last few years or longer when the Hawks were winning?

• Like 1

Carmelo was one but the price tag was crazy and he did not want to extend.

Other then that, I never heard of anything else. The price tag for these "superstars" are crazy and they wouldn't resign if you gut the team for said player 

• Like 2

I think they are all full of crap. Kenny thinks he knows it all and was a great player but really he rode Hakeem's sack. Charles is a moron and Shaq is a clown. I don't believe a word of what they say.

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Other then that, I never heard of anything else. The price tag for these "superstars" are crazy and they wouldn't resign if you gut the team for said player 

19 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Well if you trade for one superstar unless your a terrible city you have the advantage to resigning the would be free agent in you can go beyond the max to resign your own player. Cleveland did that with Lebron since he waiting for the Cavs I believe to resign Love then Bron signed. It's a mood point now since don't know any superstars that want to play for the Hawks or are available. Maybe in a few years the Hawks could make a run at the Brow since he might get tired of losing with New Orleans.

13 minutes ago, thescout5 said:

Well if you trade for one superstar unless your a terrible city you have the advantage to resigning the would be free agent in you can go beyond the max to resign your own player. Cleveland did that with Lebron since he waiting for the Cavs I believe to resign Love then Bron signed. It's a mood point now since don't know any superstars that want to play for the Hawks or are available. Maybe in a few years the Hawks could make a run at the Brow since he might get tired of losing with New Orleans.

He'd probably play in his hometown Chicago or the Hornets (his family wanted him to get drafted there).

I don't remember too many superstar trades. James Harden and Chris Paul off the top of the head.

Harden was traded for Lamb, Martin and two firsts (Steven Adams & Mitch McGary) and a second.  Around that time ATL just traded Joe, I don't ATL had the pieces to do it. They didn't get Brooks out of the Joe trade which would have been a nice centerpiece. I don't think Harris, Korver and BK first and ATL first would have been good enough.

CP3 was traded for Gordon, Kaman, Aminu, MINN 2012 1st (Austin Rivers) and two future 2nds.

As for CP3, I'm not sure if the NBA would have been fine with taking on Joe with that big contract while he was on the decline, so I guess Josh, Horford, Marvin and a 1st for CP3 would have been what it takes to get CP3. 

CP3/Joe/McGrady/Ivan/Zaza would have been awful. 

Guess Hawks need to scout the rosters and find which superstar might want to leave or a team willing to deal him for the right pieces. While Sap had a good day he'll probably be gone after next year so I wonder if you packaged him with Schröder or Teague to get someone. Who that someone is who knows not many superstars out there other that don't play for the big 3-4 teams. No way your getting Anthony Davis they just signed him. I think the Hawks may hav to get younger and focus on the draft with a deal to move up and get a prospect with potential to be a star for now.  

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think they are all full of crap. Kenny thinks he knows it all and was a great player but really he rode Hakeem's sack. Charles is a moron and Shaq is a clown. I don't believe a word of what they say.

They were actually right on the money with what they said.  And if what Kenny said about them having a chance at a star, but not doing it because they were "winning" at the time is true, then it makes it worse.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

The TNT crew were great players but listening to their analysis of anything makes me feel like a genius. They are wrong the majority of the time and now Kenny has a creative memory of the Hawks FA pursuits .

1 minute ago, Sothron said:

The only one I remember was when Phoenix was trying to trade to get KG and was going to work a three way to send Amare to Atlanta.

That one fell through for the same reason as the Melo deal, they wanted too much

• Like 1

This is hot ass garbage!! Please don't believe the tnt crew...Hawks never had a chance at a star player in recent years dating back to 2000. The only player that was considered a star with a household name that even actually talked to Atlanta was Dwight Howard a few years ago.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, thescout5 said:

I watched the after game show on TNT with Barkley,Smith and O'Neal. Kenny Smith says in the past the Hawks have had chances to get a superstar who might be disgruntled elswehere but the Hawks never pursued it because the team was playing well in the season. O'Neal said the Hawks won't compete for a championship unless they get a superstar. Barkley and the rest mentioned the Hawks have some difficult decisions coming up with Horford etc etc. Maybe Schröder or Teague can be dealt to help other needs.

Does anyone recall what superstars could have been available the last few years or longer when the Hawks were winning?

We had a chance to trade Teague and Horf for Monroe?

I don't call that a superstar move...

9 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

" i heard the zero championship Hawks fan trying to clown you, chuck and shaq"

" you hear that shaq? wow."

JetCWebbReactions.gif

giphy-tumblr.gif

Edited by Hawkmoor

Great headline lacking in actual facts.

What  'superstars' were available from 2007 until now  (I use 2007 because that's  just after we blew it up and started  over).  I can name 3/4 Superstars that were traded: CP3, Melo, Dwight and Harden were traded in this time frame.  What did we have available to get these.guys from our collection of players? Did the 2 gruntled players in Melo and D12 have the Hawks on the list. Paul was a unique case. Harden, did we have what OKC wanted?

Saying we could have traded Josh for Pau - who here thinks Pau was a superstar then? (I wanted Pau but LAL wanted Teague and picks too).  Is Brook Lopez  a Superstar?  Al Jefferson? Greg Monroe?

I would like the Superstar list.

If Kenny  had said  we could have made moves for other players that might have given the team a different outlook , I would agree,  but the whole Superstar thing is ludicris.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Great headline lacking in actual facts.

What  'superstars' were available from 2007 until now  (I use 2007 because that's  just after we blew it up and started  over).  I can name 3/4 Superstars that were traded: CP3, Melo, Dwight and Harden were traded in this time frame.  What did we have available to get these.guys from our collection of players? Did the 2 gruntled players in Melo and D12 have the Hawks on the list. Paul was a unique case. Harden, did we have what OKC wanted?

Saying we could have traded Josh for Pau - who here thinks Pau was a superstar then? (I wanted Pau but LAL wanted Teague and picks too).  Is Brook Lopez  a Superstar?  Al Jefferson? Greg Monroe?

I would like the Superstar list.

If Kenny  had said  we could have made moves for other players that might have given the team a different outlook , I would agree,  but the whole Superstar thing is ludicris.

Sums it up nicely.  Good job, Bird. {sexist kitchen joke redacted}.

Kennie has had it out for the Hawks since his supposed 8-hour long interview with Billy Knight to presumably replace Knight as Hawks GM?  He's so bitter about that.  Ridiculous.

I think his "superstar" comment was just another filler statement he doesn't expect anyone to fact-check him on.

Speaking of ridiculous, we have @Hawkmoor using Barkley's name and a gif of Webber and the coattail rider to clown the Hawks about being ringless?  Gon' be a loooong offseason ladies and gentleman.

• Moderators

Agree with lots of others here.  The idea that the Hawks turned down deals for superstars is a bunch of hot air until it is backed up with specifics.  It can't be because it didn't happen.  I am sure the Hawks scuttled lateral deals of the kind others have mentioned on this thread and perhaps one of them could have found magic but that is different than implying that the Hawks could have had Durant but like Horford and Korver too much to pull the trigger.

• Like 1

Yeah, that comment by him didn't sit well with me, either. If they had passed on trading for superstar-caliber players in recent years, it would've gotten leaked and made its way to us; especially if the deals made any sense. Saying that the Hawks passed on someone like Ish Smith or Nik Stauskas is one thing. To say that they should've signed Al Jefferson instead of Paul Millsap years ago is one thing. But to suggest that the Hawks could've had Durant, Carmelo, Lebron, John Wall, or Wade in the fold but stayed pat because Al and Paul were playing too well is a completely different animal.

None of the those guys were remotely available for the Hawks to trade for, much less convince to sign in free agency. None of them. Kenny was blowing smoke and looking for something to say that would move the meter....