• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight Howard: Embarrassing

volman

This could be BS but ESPN online had a story about Kenny Smith interviewing with the Rockets. A remote possibility of Kenny "one of the TNT bad analysis guys" Smith coaching D12. Wow.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15504550/houston-rockets-interview-jeff-hornacek-kenny-smith

So the Rockets canned McHale early in the year but give Kenny Smith an interview to have to possibly deal with D12 and definitely deal with Harden. Thinking this must be the "we pursued a thorough search of all possible candidates" spiel.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, AUhawksfan said:

A 30 year old past his prime is part of the "next wave"?  Alright, now you're just reaching.

Context is everything.   I was talking about Players who are attached to social media.   Or did you read?  Point is before Howard, we don't have social media or there was slight social media.   Howard has all the symptoms of a guy who stays on it and is effected by it.   I believe that as we move into the future, we will see more players like that.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Jody23 said:

If they were going to give him advice with the motive of helping him rather than trying to make themselves seem smart, then pull the young man aside off the air, away from the cameras and have a conversation.  No need to do him like that on national tv.

My question is would he listen to them with the cameras off?

4 hours ago, Diesel said:
17 hours ago, Diesel said:

We need to be more like Early Stan Van Gundy in a sense.   Put him in the middle and dump it down to him and let his presence cause a problem for defenders on the perimeter.

Yea, Dwight was real happy about Stan's coaching

• Moderators

Stan is a really good coach although sometimes i'm sure he's an ahole.    Dwight was an immature player.   I would hope that with a little perspective Dwight understands what Stan was about and why they had success.     Honestly Kenny Smith will probably be a great coach for Dwight because if there is anyone who should and probably does believe that the ball should go down to Dwight on every possession it's Kenny.  

Mutombo: Blocked shots and gained possession of the ball for his team. Effective defense.

Dwight: Sells out on defense to trawl for highlight blocks that go into the stands and the other team retains possession. Not effective defense. We can call this the "Josh Smith Corollary" of defense. I mean he held Al Horford to 30/14 and 22/9 in their meetings this past season.

• Moderators

For me what it comes down to is the Hawks don't need to be trolling the waters for the stars of yesteryear like Carmelo and Dwight.  We need to be finding the stars of tomorrow or at least today.   People knock Derozan's game or Beal's health or Olidipo's size and ability and these are all good criticisms but they are no riskier than banking on aging stars who haven't been on winning teams in years.    I'd take Beal and Mozgov this offseason and be very happy.    If we could swing Durant or George then hell yes.    

• Like 4

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

For me what it comes down to is the Hawks don't need to be trolling the waters for the stars of yesteryear like Carmelo and Dwight.  We need to be finding the stars of tomorrow or at least today.   People knock Derozan's game or Beal's health or Olidipo's size and ability and these are all good criticisms but they are no riskier than banking on aging stars who haven't been on winning teams in years.    I'd take Beal and Mozgov this offseason and be very happy.    If we could swing Durant or George then hell yes.    

I love this post.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Especially with the amount of money they are making or are looking for.

• Premium Member
On 5/12/2016 at 4:25 AM, MaceCase said:

Yea, Dwight was real happy about Stan's coaching

I said Early Stan.  Early Stan made the offense work around Dwight's ability in the post and they were dominant.

Late Stan put Dwight in the post and made the offense about Lewis, Turk, and all the shooters they had.  They made D12 a decoy on the offense.  This didn't sit well with him because he was immature and I believe he believed that it affected his money.

The question is will we see the same thing in Detroit.  Will he regulate Drummond to being a decoy in the middle and make the offense about those shooters?

On 5/12/2016 at 9:50 AM, macdaddy said:

I'm always open to adding young talent but the Hawks don't have a hope in hell of getting most of those players this year.  Washington will sign Beal.  George would be awesome but the Hawks would have to give up a kings ransom in picks and I don't think the Pacers want to trade him anyway.

I like Oladipo and maybe the Hawks could get him.  Just not sure how highly Orlando values him.  Perhaps we can try to steal him next year when he's a RFA.  Same with Derozan.  We'd have to wait until next year to have a shot at him which doesn't help us immediately.

So, yea, we could get Mozgov who's one year younger than Dwight and by your definition, aging.  And I'm sorry, Mozgov isn't half the player Dwight is.

So, that leaves us with Dwight, who's a proven quality center in this league.  Sure, he's getting a bit older, but he's not over the hill yet.  We know he is open to moving away from his current team.  He adds size, rebounding, and interior scoring, all of which we constantly complain about.  He has his weaknesses too; poor free throw shooter, poor shooter outside the paint, and maybe he needs consistent encouragement or a team that believes in him.  I just don't see a better, more obtainable fit this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATLSmith said:

I'm always open to adding young talent but the Hawks don't have a hope in hell of getting most of those players this year.  Washington will sign Beal.  George would be awesome but the Hawks would have to give up a kings ransom in picks and I don't think the Pacers want to trade him anyway.

I like Oladipo and maybe the Hawks could get him.  Just not sure how highly Orlando values him.  Perhaps we can try to steal him next year when he's a RFA.  Same with Derozan.  We'd have to wait until next year to have a shot at him which doesn't help us immediately.

So, yea, we could get Mozgov who's one year younger than Dwight and by your definition, aging.  And I'm sorry, Mozgov isn't half the player Dwight is.

So, that leaves us with Dwight, who's a proven quality center in this league.  Sure, he's getting a bit older, but he's not over the hill yet.  We know he is open to moving away from his current team.  He adds size, rebounding, and interior scoring, all of which we constantly complain about.  He has his weaknesses too; poor free throw shooter, poor shooter outside the paint, and maybe he needs consistent encouragement or a team that believes in him.  I just don't see a better, more obtainable fit this year.

Nothing might be better.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, ATLSmith said:

QFT. Unless we can get Whiteside there's no other realistic option besides Dwight.