• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves fire Fredi Gonzalez

Hawkmoor

With the Braves record, we expected this.  Just didn't know when it would happen.

When any team doesn't win, you can't fire all the players, therefore the coach is it.

Braves very young pitching staff, all 25 or younger for the starters, are learning.

Defense has been poor and hitting is good BUT timely hitting, very poor.  They can

get on base but no one can drive them in.

With what he's had to work with, the Braves are lucky to have won as many as they have.

23 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-fire-gonzalez-as-manager/nrN5k/

Ashamed how they scapegoated this dude.........................

If posted in wrong forum, my bad.

Fredi's lineup construction, pitcher usage, and overall managerial decisions have hurt this team for years.  Did he have a team the past 2 years built to win?  No, but he made poor use of what he did have.  He should've been shown the door the same time Frank Wren was.  

• Like 4

• Moderators

This organization continues to embarrass itself.   As other's said Fredi should have been gone a couple years ago when his good teams had historic fall meltdowns.   Now they hand him a minor league team and then fire him for not winning?   This will probably be the best thing that ever happened to him.   I'm sure his life will be a lot more fun when he's not working for "'Atlanta' Braves Baseball and Commerical real estate development Inc."

Oh I forgot.   I don't care anymore. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

Fredi's lineup construction, pitcher usage, and overall managerial decisions have hurt this team for years.  Did he have a team the past 2 years built to win?  No, but he made poor use of what he did have.  He should've been shown the door the same time Frank Wren was.  

I only disagree that he should have been fired with Wren.  They needed a scapegoat to take these L's while they rebuild.  That's why the timing of the firing is odd.  May as well let him take it til the end of the season.  He must've finally sac'd up and said enough is enough.

I said years ago that him playing the patsy basically killed any chance he had at coaching (yeah, I said 'coaching' not managering) anywhere else ever.  Brett Brown of baseball.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Hawkmoor said:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/braves-fire-gonzalez-as-manager/nrN5k/

Ashamed how they scapegoated this dude.........................

If posted in wrong forum, my bad.

No problemo!

And I agree. If you've gone THIS far with Fredi, might as well let it play out.

~lw3

The problem is that Fredi wasn't committed to developing guys, or maybe it should be said he didn't know how to develop the players he had. I really think sitting Malex the day after he had a great day at the plate and in the field was the final straw.
Some other issues that seemed to lead to the firing included the simply awful fielding and really poor understanding of how to manufacture runs. The Braves seemingly lacked basic understanding of fundamentals.

Snitker seems to be a guy that can help with at least understanding fundamental baseball. Going forward this is critical to building a solid major league team.