• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Reconstituting our Coaching Staff.

Diesel

• Premium Member

We haven't talked about this but for the past two years, our assistants have been drug off the scene.  I'm starting to wonder how Bud is going to reconstitute.  We need somebody who is a good defensive minded guy to go with Bud's offense.   We also need somebody who specifically works with bigs and someone who specifically works with PGs.

Who are some guys who we can call?

Maybe Nick Van Exel or Keith Smart?

3 hours ago, Diesel said:

We haven't talked about this but for the past two years, our assistants have been drug off the scene.  I'm starting to wonder how Bud is going to reconstitute.  We need somebody who is a good defensive minded guy to go with Bud's offense.   We also need somebody who specifically works with bigs and someone who specifically works with PGs.

Adrian Griffin.

Seems like all the contenders snatched up the assistants from the 2010 Chicago Bulls staff :

Ron Adams (GS)

Andy Greer (TOR)

13 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

David Blatt  (but I think he'll get a gig next year and we'll be searching again.

Sounds like he has pretty sizable offers from his old Maccabi Tel Aviv team and other Euroleague teams, but is holding out in anticipation of getting a HC offer in the NBA.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

David Blatt  (but I think he'll get a gig next year and we'll be searching again.

Hmmm...I'm not so sure. He coached well in Europe but then he came to the NBA and the results didn't meet the expectations.

10 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Hmmm...I'm not so sure. He coached well in Europe but then he came to the NBA and the results didn't meet the expectations.

His team went to the finals, granted he had LBJ.  It's tough to say what he is or isn't.

34 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

His team went to the finals, granted he had LBJ.  It's tough to say what he is or isn't.

It's hard to NOT take a team that has Lebron to the finals. Specially since he's in the east. I think probably 37 coaches could have taken Lebron to the finals last year. 

2 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

It's hard to NOT take a team that has Lebron to the finals. Specially since he's in the east. I think probably 37 coaches could have taken Lebron to the finals last year. 

that's why say it's tough to say what Blatt is or isn't.  He signed on expecting to coach Wiggins, Irving and a young group players to try and make the playoffs and got blindsided with LBJ and Love and a team with vets looking for rings.

• Moderators
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

that's why say it's tough to say what Blatt is or isn't.  He signed on expecting to coach Wiggins, Irving and a young group players to try and make the playoffs and got blindsided with LBJ and Love and a team with vets looking for rings.

Yeah he looked totally overmatched but that's not a guy I would necessarily want to go after.   I mean same think happened to Sploestra right?  He'd been at the helm a couple years of a middling team but Blatt had way more head coaching experience.   Lebron and Bosh fall in Sploestra's lap and darn if that that assistant videographer didn't go to 4 finals in a row with hardly a rumble of discontent.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Yeah he looked totally overmatched but that's not a guy I would necessarily want to go after.   I mean same think happened to Sploestra right?  He'd been at the helm a couple years of a middling team but Blatt had way more head coaching experience.   Lebron and Bosh fall in Sploestra's lap and darn if that that assistant videographer didn't go to 4 finals in a row with hardly a rumble of discontent.  

Yeah I have been consistently surprised at how well the Heat's coach has adapted and won with so little experience wether he's had the big three, the damaged big one or even less than that at times these this past few seasons. I'm giving credit to him when I have never done that in the past.  

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

There was a significant rumble early on but he got past it and got the players to buy in and largely respect him.  That is Blatt's biggest failure - never getting respect from his players.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

There was a significant rumble early on but he got past it and got the players to buy in and largely respect him.  That is Blatt's biggest failure - never getting respect from his players.

Having Pat Riley backing him was huge too.   Riley never gave LBJ's minions the run of the Heat facilities, not so in Cleveland.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Having Pat Riley backing him was huge too.   Riley never gave LBJ's minions the run of the Heat facilities, not so in Cleveland.

No doubt.  Riley was going to godfather that situation either by taking over the coaching role once he landed superstars or by supporting his guy and quashing any player mutiny.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I think he'd make an excellent top assist though.

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, macdaddy said:

Overmatched??  Try Undermined.

LBJ undermined his own coach and it was despicable.   Just one more reason to not like Lebron. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Diesel said:

Overmatched??  Try Undermined.

LBJ undermined his own coach and it was despicable.   Just one more reason to not like Lebron. 

I agree that undermined is the right word.  He never had a chance.   Now you could say he doesn't have the personality to control an NBA star or you could say LeBron was just out for control and undermined him.  I think the second part of that is indisputable.  The first part may also be true - we just don't know.

Lebron is the biggest douche bag when it comes to respecting coaches. He's literally disrespected every coach he's had since his induction into the NBA. Look at what he tried to do to Tyrone Lue at the beginning of his reigns. He was blatantly trying to show him up on the sidelines. The video of him walking on the sidelines beside him made my blood boil. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

Lebron is the biggest douche bag when it comes to respecting coaches. He's literally disrespected every coach he's had since his induction into the NBA. Look at what he tried to do to Tyrone Lue at the beginning of his reigns. He was blatantly trying to show him up on the sidelines. The video of him walking on the sidelines beside him made my blood boil. 

The new billion dollar baby knows he is the undisputed Queen of Sheba. He's allowed to do what he wants to who he wants 24/7. All the while NBA refs shake with fear in their boots. Their job is to protect that superstar (billion dollar baby). Not so good for the actual game of basketball. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2016 at 9:22 AM, Diesel said:

Scratch those guys off the list....Fizdale is putting together a damn good staff in  Memphis:

6/9/16

Marc Stein - Interesting staff assembled by Fizdale in Memphis with two ex-head coaches beside him in Keith Smart and J.B. Bickerstaff as well as Nick Van Exel

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, smoove31210 said:

Scratch those guys off the list....Fizdale is putting together a damn good staff in  Memphis:

6/9/16

Marc Stein - Interesting staff assembled by Fizdale in Memphis with two ex-head coaches beside him in Keith Smart and J.B. Bickerstaff as well as Nick Van Exel

If they can convince Conley to resign, they will be an interesting team to watch... Especially Healthy.  If not, they could go into rebuild.