Dennis Schröder needs to start or be traded next year

Lurker

Miss me with all of the BS about how this is one of the best PG tandems in the league and shouldn't be broken up and stuff about Schröder ISOing and blah blah blah. The reality is is this situation isn't going to work anymore. I agree with the scouts about how Atlanta can't start the 16/17 season with both Teague and Schröder on the roster (**with one caveat at the end). The situation with them has been very close to blowing up a couple times already with Teague being angry about not being allowed to finish games. It nearly blew up after the loss to Phoenix at the buzzer and after the sweep vs Cleveland. If both of them are kept, I see it boiling over in 2017 and affecting the team even more than it has in a non-positive way.

The only way it works is if Teague learns how to play off the ball again effectively like he did in college and Schröder starts playing at least 15 minutes a game with Teague. Otherwise, one gotta go. Sorry, but it's the truth. It's not even me being against Teague, it's me seeing where this is headed.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Not that any of this is definitive, but if you go back and watch the exit interviews for both Teague and Schröder, one might come away with the conclusion that Dennis knows he's likely starting next season and that Jeff knows he likely won't be back.

The reason why it doesn't work, is because of the defensive end of the floor.  Neither Teague no Schröder can guard 2s.  If one of them were as good as Avery Bradley, you could play them together.

Golden State had to make this decision with Curry and Monta Ellis.  They traded Monta for a then injured Bogut.  Then added Iggy in the offseason.

Maybe the Hawks can flip Teague for a 2 or a 3 better than Baze or Korver.  That will at least balance the team out a little more. 

• Like 2

Who was it that said they are both 1A and 1B but still only equaling a 2?  I feel giving up on either means that you are stuck with all of the flaws of one, if the two equal mediocrity then I don't know how dividing them gives you anything less than mediocrity.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this topic Lurker...I think the PG position is the key to our future.

In my humble opinion, both of our PGs have great skills - but are also flawed.  If you could somehow "meld" them together you would have a top 10 PG - but alas - it can't be done.

Let's remember, Jeff Teague was the 7th "PG" taken in a very good PG class - and basically played combo guard at W.F.  He has done VERY well for where he was drafted and his skillset.  Dennis came from the "boonies" (Europe/Germany is usually the boonies for top-level NBA PGs - ever seen one?).  He is/was extremely quick and dominated against 6-6 white guys and got the attention of scouts looking for the next Tony Parker.  Dennis is no Tony Parker (when Parker was in his prime.  Dennis is flashy and quick as a cat, but lacks finishing skills when really challenged and is simply too "light".

So - we can keep on going with the two semi-flawed PGs  - or we can trade one and go "all-in" on the other one - or we can cut bait and get a real starting PG that can/will support our primary players better.

Jeff tends to be absent against bigger/tougher PGs and picks his spots for being aggressive - Dennis tends to be a Wildman and wants to go back to the day when he could be a superstar athlete, but he can't because this is the F'n NBA.

Personally - if I were Coach/GM/Lord of all that is Hawks - Bud - I would be looking for a new PG.  Might just get us back to the ECFs.

(just my humble opinion)

Edited by DJlaysitup

49 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Who was it that said they are both 1A and 1B but still only equaling a 2?  I feel giving up on either means that you are stuck with all of the flaws of one, if the two equal mediocrity then I don't know how dividing them gives you anything less than mediocrity.

LOL MaceCase...I just went back through the thread and realized you said the same thing that I was trying to say - and in very much fewer words...my hat is off to you :^)

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

The difference is that we've seen Teague at his peak.  I don't know if it's anything he can do to become a better player than what he is now.

That's not true when talking about Dennis.  He's still inconsistent, but showing more flashes of brilliance.

If given the "keys" to the team, Dennis may very well take his game to that next level.  That's exactly what Curry did, once they traded Monta.

Teague is a very good and solid PG.  Dennis is wild, makes mistakes, but shows more flashes of greatness and the will to lead, than Teague does. 

And because of his youth, it's a better wager to bet on Dennis being an elite PG, than hoping Jeff gets to that status.

Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The difference is that we've seen Teague at his peak.  I don't know if it's anything he can do to become a better player than what he is now.

That's not true when talking about Dennis.  He's still inconsistent, but showing more flashes of brilliance.

If given the "keys" to the team, Dennis may very well take his game to that next level.  That's exactly what Curry did, once they traded Monta.

Teague is a very good and solid PG.  Dennis is wild, makes mistakes, but shows more flashes of greatness and the will to lead, than Teague does. 

And because of his youth, it's a better wager to bet on Dennis being an elite PG, than hoping Jeff gets to that status.

I guess I've seen far less of the "brilliance" that you speak of.  I've seen stretches where his one trick has gotten him buckets but in the end he goes to that well one time too many and it consistently dries up.

• Like 3

In my opinion - if you want to design a team around Dennis - then do it.  Get a bunch of crazy-fast wing players and an athletic center who can run and keep Sap (stability) and just make it into a track meet.

Actually that may be the wave of the future...

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Miss me with all of the BS about how this is one of the best PG tandems in the league and shouldn't be broken up and stuff about Schröder ISOing and blah blah blah. The reality is is this situation isn't going to work anymore. I agree with the scouts about how Atlanta can't start the 16/17 season with both Teague and Schröder on the roster (**with one caveat at the end). The situation with them has been very close to blowing up a couple times already with Teague being angry about not being allowed to finish games. It nearly blew up after the loss to Phoenix at the buzzer and after the sweep vs Cleveland. If both of them are kept, I see it boiling over in 2017 and affecting the team even more than it has in a non-positive way.

The only way it works is if Teague learns how to play off the ball again effectively like he did in college and Schröder starts playing at least 15 minutes a game with Teague. Otherwise, one gotta go. Sorry, but it's the truth. It's not even me being against Teague, it's me seeing where this is headed.

True. It's probably the worst time to trade Teague since teams knows Dennis is the future. However, Dennis might get a nice asset. I'd keep them two going into the season, healthy competition. Don't be afraid to start Dennis some games if Teague is playing passive. May get a nice return like OKC did for Reggie Jackson at the trade deadline.