Healthy Korver Excited For "Normal" Offseason

Kyle Korver appreciated Day 1 of the 2016 offseason a whole lot more than he did the same day a year earlier.

"I'm actually going to work out," he said with a laugh. "I'm excited to be on my feet today."

For Korver, the offseason is supposed to bring the opportunity to train, strengthen and refine his skills. No one loves routine more than Korver, and no part of the NBA calendar year serves as a better opportunity to jump into a developmental regimen than the summer does.

But last summer, hindered by a pair of surgery rehabilitations, Korver did not get the chance to work through his preferred prep work. This summer, he will.

"I'm looking forward to a good summer of training again and being able to get back to what I like to do in the offseason," he said.

Korver's 2015-16 production crescendoed from good to great as he withstood the early-season adjustments that he would normally make in an offseason. He converted 39.8 percent of his three-point shots on the season, including 42.0 percent after the All-Star break. His 158 made threes bumped his career total to 1887 and moved him to 8th place on the all-time career three-point list. 

Korver also added lots of defensive rebounding, passing and all-around skill to the Hawks machine. To wit: Korver finished with the third-best plus-minus rating in the Eastern Conference. The Hawks outscored their opponents by 427 points with Korver on the court this season. Only LeBron James (+618) and Kevin Love (+418) posted better numbers than Korver.

Going along with the season-long upward trend, Korver did his best work in the playoffs. He made 44.4 percent of his threes and finished with a team-best plus-minus rating of +52.

All of which makes the prospect of watching Korver next season an enticing one. He brings a unique skillset to the Hawks and continues to hold an unbounded enthusiasm for self-improvement in his craft, even as he prepares for his 14th NBA season. Moreover, Korver thrives from seeing the same outlook in his co-workers.

"We come into a healthy environment with good people working hard who just want to keep getting better," he said. "There's something to be said about that: a healthy workplace. Guys can all respect that and understand that. We have that here."

Story by KL Chouinard
Twitter: @KLChouinard

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/healthy-korver-excited-normal-offseason

53 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've said repeatedly before I expected Korver to struggle this season coming off of surgery.  I think he'll be better next year.  Would still be ideal if he could come off the bench and if we had depth that Bud trusted enough to sit Korver when  he is blanketed in the playoffs.

Thinking about how Korver and Thabo could give us very diverse quality minutes off the bench. A healthy Korver could really stretch the floor against backups no doubt. Depending on who we're playing opposing starters as well. I will be surprised if anyone does question wether his off season dedication to getting ready is outstanding this summer with no rehab involved. Thabo showed against J.R. Smith how good his one on one defense still is even though these are not his prime years. He showed we need him on the roster. I like them both. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

This all sounds great, but we know this team needs much more.

Thinking that we would be in a very good place if a healthy Korver is coming off the bench at either swing position with a ceiling on his minutes. Thabo's defense and hopefully Hardaway's improved three would be covering the other bench minutes. How much more can we really improve or even consider investing more of our cap for towards our pine other than the draft?  

If Korver can shoot at 45+% again for the season, I think he  can keep starting (but he should only play ~30 mpg at most). The attention he draws when he is on his game is worth it.

The problem this season was that he shot only 38% before the All-Star break and 42% after that.  That is still very good, of course, but it doesn't have the same effect as a guy shooting nearly 50% from 3. ANd if he does not draw extra attention, then the areas where he is lacking, shine more. You saw in the playoffs how much these 6-7% "more" do for him and the team (+/-).

Wether he starts or not, is not my primary concern.  It's  the number of minutes he's forced to play because anything behind him is weak that's my concern. If that's  the case we haven't  adequately addressed our deficiencies.

I think I read a stat regarding Korver's  3pt shooting that December was the month that caused the dropped Korver's total percentage. Otherwise he was good in that department, but since sll months count......

Training in lieu of rehabbing for a guy Kyle's age is important.

I want the Korver from 2014-15 back next year. I want him to do his Santa Barbara P3 training and all his Empire State Building training and all his Pacific Ocean underwater Houdini shit and just come back ready to play 28-35 minutes a night. If he's fit to start and we have the necessary pieces around him then so be it, if he needs to be our guy off the bench, that's fine too. Just get it workin baby.

GO HAWKS!!!! (First time I've said this since game 4 vs Cavs)..:-)

4 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Kyle Korver appreciated Day 1 of the 2016 offseason a whole lot more than he did the same day a year earlier.

"I'm actually going to work out," he said with a laugh. "I'm excited to be on my feet today."

For Korver, the offseason is supposed to bring the opportunity to train, strengthen and refine his skills. No one loves routine more than Korver, and no part of the NBA calendar year serves as a better opportunity to jump into a developmental regimen than the summer does.

But last summer, hindered by a pair of surgery rehabilitations, Korver did not get the chance to work through his preferred prep work. This summer, he will.

"I'm looking forward to a good summer of training again and being able to get back to what I like to do in the offseason," he said.

Korver's 2015-16 production crescendoed from good to great as he withstood the early-season adjustments that he would normally make in an offseason. He converted 39.8 percent of his three-point shots on the season, including 42.0 percent after the All-Star break. His 158 made threes bumped his career total to 1887 and moved him to 8th place on the all-time career three-point list. 

Korver also added lots of defensive rebounding, passing and all-around skill to the Hawks machine. To wit: Korver finished with the third-best plus-minus rating in the Eastern Conference. The Hawks outscored their opponents by 427 points with Korver on the court this season. Only LeBron James (+618) and Kevin Love (+418) posted better numbers than Korver.

Going along with the season-long upward trend, Korver did his best work in the playoffs. He made 44.4 percent of his threes and finished with a team-best plus-minus rating of +52.

All of which makes the prospect of watching Korver next season an enticing one. He brings a unique skillset to the Hawks and continues to hold an unbounded enthusiasm for self-improvement in his craft, even as he prepares for his 14th NBA season. Moreover, Korver thrives from seeing the same outlook in his co-workers.

"We come into a healthy environment with good people working hard who just want to keep getting better," he said. "There's something to be said about that: a healthy workplace. Guys can all respect that and understand that. We have that here."

Story by KL Chouinard
Twitter: @KLChouinard

Must be the "new math."  Last time I checked, 427 was more than 418, which is more than Love.

• Like 3

If everyone is healthy guys we might can make it out the second round next year..... im tired of being sold this bill of goods. Take a risk Bud during Free Agency. What is the worse that will happen? We lose in the first/second round and miss the NBA Finals?

• Like 2

• Moderators

This thread is becoming very Trump-insecurity-esque.  

13 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I'm  not sure how Korver being healthy to start the offseason means anything more than that.  It's  better than rehabbing.

I think it means more to him than most players given how big a part of his history it is.  The offseason training is a bigger deal for him than most players.