• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DeMar DeRozan

Diesel

DeRozan can drive and certainly get to the foul line and hit those foul shots. Seems like a full time two way SF would be more helpful though because hopefully THJ keeps improving at SG and we have Korver who we all hope has his minutes reduced some and I really wouldn't want to see Korver battling SFs at this point. Thabo would cover the other SF minutes but DeRozan brings barely any more size than Kyle has. Feels like we would be spending max largely because he can get to the line.

6 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

I don't think we should blow our free agent dough on a guy who is not going to improve all that much

Yeah, I'm not bashing DeRozan because I do like the foul line stats but there are different types of swing players yet he seems very much a SG that would require max salary to play as a tweener unless we somehow come up with that majority minutes SF. So much cap involved. 

1 hour ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

No he wants a max and he's never on the floor. If he'd take something like Baze's contract then I'd consider it but he'll want a bigger contract 

Yeah, in his four year career Beal has missed over one hundred games and he is a young player. How many games will he miss in the future after signing a big and long contract is likely to be a serious problem. That makes him even more expensive if a lot of his minutes are in physical rehab and not on the floor.  

He's a guy that is reliant on getting to the line in order to just be mildly efficient but as we know and as we saw, once you get into the playoffs you're no longer getting easy freebies so you then watch a player that struggles in every other facet of offense put up some of the most laughable shot attempts in history because he's no longer getting the calls he's accustomed to from the regular season. 

We are talking about the venereal disease ridden homeless man's version of James Harden here.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mdizzle5 said:

We also need to get better at getting to the line. 

Yeah, this past regular season and playoffs our starting center averaged less than two foul shots a game. So if he tried to score in the paint he would see the line a lot more and alleviate some of the problem. But a max for a swing player that is good at getting to the line, looking good on some dunks and  not much else would be some financial trouble for us. His PER was great during the year but I wonder  what it  was against our own brick wall in the playoffs, the Cavs.   

I definitely agree that the Max is too high. But its too high for any player that isn't in the highest echelon of the league. That said, I'd rather pay Derozan than start Korver and/or Baze at... well... either wing position.  Lol

I think he'll stay in Toronto though.

Edited by Mdizzle5

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Mdizzle5 said:

I definitely agree that the Max is too high. But its too high for any player that isn't in the highest echelon of the league. That said, I'd rather pay Derozan than start Korver and/or Baze at... well... either wing position.  Lol

I think he'll stay in Toronto though.

Derozan is a shooting guard that can't hit threes. His percieved value is way higher than his actual value to his team.  Toronto won't miss a beat without him.

11 hours ago, Atlantaholic said:

lol.... Yes in a league where long range shooting and floor spacing are the keys let's start two guards who can't hit threes.  Brilliant.

The Hawks would know.........

Kz9XwP.gif?resize=480%2C270

Edited by Hawkmoor

Best description of Derozan (and his upcoming contract-he opted out today)  I've seen:

He will be an extravagantly overpaid two-guard who can’t shoot.   He’s a fine player, and on the odd night his jumper is fully operational, he’s downright thrilling, but he falls short of greatness. He can defend, but he’s not exactly a stopper. He’s a smart passer, but not a brilliant one. His midrange game is fine, but not something he should live on game-to-game. There is so much to like about DeRozan’s game and not quite enough that can be depended upon. He is the archetypal Guy Who Clogs Your Salary Cap, because there are always going to be at least a couple general managers out there who will sign a quasi-star for franchise player money.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Best description of Derozan (and his upcoming contract-he opted out today)  I've seen:

He will be an extravagantly overpaid two-guard who can’t shoot.   He’s a fine player, and on the odd night his jumper is fully operational, he’s downright thrilling, but he falls short of greatness. He can defend, but he’s not exactly a stopper. He’s a smart passer, but not a brilliant one. His midrange game is fine, but not something he should live on game-to-game. There is so much to like about DeRozan’s game and not quite enough that can be depended upon. He is the archetypal Guy Who Clogs Your Salary Cap, because there are always going to be at least a couple general managers out there who will sign a quasi-star for franchise player money.

Thanks for posting this and the one positive I would add to this quote is his getting to the foul line and hitting them. As mentioned by another poster earlier though in the playoffs and particularly against the Cavs you don't get the benefit of a doubt so getting to the foul line becomes a distant memory.  

• 5 years later...
On 6/12/2016 at 12:00 PM, Hawkmoor said:

I got to thinking about what you said. WHY cant Korver play small forward?  In fact, with his age, why not start him at the 3 if they went and got Derozan.  Korver could still spot up and defenses wouldnt necessarily game plan around him if you got Derozan in there.  

Derozan is a better player than a lot of people in this thread give him credit for. Again, its like the scrub logic of Atlanta sports teams just rubs off the fans to where they just settle for scrub players and dare to go get ballers.

Bazemore isnt taking the Hawks anywhere.  I love the fact that Derozan can create his own shot and work in tight spaces.  The only thing bad about this suggestion is Korver's age. How much does he have left? Can he give the hawk ONE more year at small forward instead of shooting guard?  This isnt including any other potential moves the Hawks can make:

pg dennis

sg derozan

sf korver

pf sap

c  horford

http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/e1tn4u.gif

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/2064593/derozanMVP.gif

http://33.media.tumblr.com/4d13675cc3c6addcc940d3e4bbfa577f/tumblr_n40rv2evhq1s3gys4o1_400.gif

cropped_demar-dunks.gif

@Spud2nique   In fact, I had another option for the 2 guard whoes in Atlanta waaaaaaaaay back in 2016, but he wasn't deemed good enough on this board.