• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I thought about the Deng signing and came to this conclusion

Peoriabird

• Premium Member

I would rather sign Deng on a 2 year contract with a team option next year for whatever amount it takes.  Say a 2 year $26 Mil or even a @ year $30 mil contract with a team option to preserve our options for next year.  I would prefer this over signing Bazemore to a long team contract that would force us to keep him in the starting line up long term.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Can't say Deng didn't produce, and in a significant way, as recently as this  post-season. And therefore, difficult to assert that he'd be a waste to add to the roster. I'd have no trouble committing to him for two years. My inclination is, though, that he's going to be looking for at least 3, and probably 4 at this stage of his career. That  is where it gets problematic (of course).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Deng's per was higher than Bazemore last season.

Your premise for signing him was based on not signing Bazemore long term.  Having an option for 2017 is a stop gap if there ever was one.  I understand the idea for looking ahead to the future, but you can't just assume in 2017 the Hawks will have the ability to sign good players.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Alex said:

Your premise for signing him was based on not signing Bazemore long term.  Having an option for 2017 is a stop gap if there ever was one.  I understand the idea for looking ahead to the future, but you can't just assume in 2017 the Hawks will have the ability to sign good players.  

You won't win a championship with Bazemore as your starting 2 or 3.  He isn't good enough.  And @ 15 mill per season, too expensive as a luxury bench player

• Like 3

• Premium Member

You won't win a championship with Bazemore 2015-16 as your starting wing? I can buy that. I won't agree to it for certain b/c any such discussion has to take into account the talent around the player. But, conventionally speaking, yes, that's reasonable.

Ya know... the challenge of being a great professional scout is to have the discernment to know when an athlete is plateauing or continuing to grow and improve.

I don't pretend to have that discernment.

All I can do is say whether there is a legit argument for believing the player might be still on an upward trajectory. And in Baze' case, I can say there is a legit argument for that. Which is why I make the distinction b/t Baze 15-16 and what might be around the corner in 16-17 (and beyond).

We know what the glass half-empty conclusion is.... he just had a contract year, and what was seen in 15-16 is as good as it will ever get. The glass half-full conclusion is that this player's trajectory will continue, and he could grow to become one of the exceptional defensive SGs in the game during this era, and good enough on offense that he becomes a key asset.

we can do this and go after Hayward, Mccollum or something next year, either way its not a bad idea at all - if Baze keeps improving then its a win, givin the climate of the nba and the available players, getting Deng is a win actually - especially considering if Splitter can be a real contributor leaves a lots of options for things in the front court - we just need that scorer on the wing, if this year can set us up with a better bench and depth that will help us land one of the top guys next year if we do well enough this year and manage the cap right and they believe they are the missing piece.   I think that is what Buds plan is.

2 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You won't win a championship with Bazemore as your starting 2 or 3.  He isn't good enough.  And @ 15 mill per seaon, too expensive as a luxury bench player

Same can be said about Deng.  At this point there aren't realistic options that can be added to the Hawks to make them a contender.  

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

Same can be said about Deng.  At this point there aren't realistic options that can be added to the Hawks to make them a contender.  

I'm no fan of Deng, but I must admit that dude was ballin outta control in the playoffs this year.

HGH is a helluva drug down in MIA.

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

I would rather sign Deng on a 2 year contract with a team option next year for whatever amount it takes.  Say a 2 year $26 Mil or even a @ year $30 mil contract with a team option to preserve our options for next year.  I would prefer this over signing Bazemore to a long team contract that would force us to keep him in the starting line up long term.

Deng is not a good SF anymore. He's a good PF which would make signing him redundant since ATL has Millsap.

4 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

Deng's per was higher than Bazemore last season.

He is also a hundred years older with lots more in game experience. Your point is what?

• Premium Member

I disagree that Deng is a waste.  I would go after Deng and Baze.   I would try to get Baze on an attractive 4 year 48 Million dollar deal with a team option after 3 and player option after 2.   I would also look to get Deng on a value contract. 

For those who are saying that deng is a waste, I say this.. He's on e of  the best 3&D Sf out.   He plays very good positional Defense.  A combination of Him and Sap will be problems for most teams we play.  Moreover, he has the size to contend with a lot of big Sfs and he could help our rebounding.    Baze is a young vet.   I think he's developing.  We have been the first team to give him real minutes in a winning environment.   I see more developing...

We get Both.. then we're able to put out there:  Horf, Sap, Deng, Baze, and Dennis.  I don't think that you find a much better defensive 5... 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Alex said:

No one is saying that we will be a championship caliber team next year, the point is it could happen with Deng but if the chemistry doesn't lead to contention, You can just cut Deng the following year and we will have tons of cap room to sign who we want because of the number of expiring contracts on our team in 2017.  We won't have as much flexibility if we sign Bazemore to a long term lucrative contract.