• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks sign Malcom Delaney

Misha Owens

1 hour ago, DJlaysitup said:

Would be great if we could find the money to sign a backup PG like JJack  and use Malcom as a 3rd guy (developmental) and maybe even a backup SG in garbage time.  Let him get used to the NBA game and maybe he will be a real asset!

(not trying to be a "Debbie Downer"...but we need stability at backup PG since we are giving a much bigger role to Dennis next year - just MHO)

Dude really isnt developmental since he is already 27. But i think his euroleague experience will give him the leg up for backup role 

• Like 1

This dude GETS it. Skilled, hungry, aggressive, and obviously the backup 1. Maybe Hawks can sign Jack so we can trade/release Paterson, but if not it's Shredder/The Doctor (MD)/Patterson. The aggression of Shredder backed by the aggression of this guy will wear opposing D down. BIG question: does he have tenacious D?

• 2 weeks later...

Have we actually signed this guy?  If not, I wonder why not?  You don't suppose he got a better offer elsewhere, do you?  He is not shown on the Hawks roster on the Hawks website.  (Ironically, Hinrich still is.)  Otherwise, the roster seems to be up to date, even to the point of removing Patterson, and adding Howard and Humphries.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Watchman said:

Have we actually signed this guy?  If not, I wonder why not?  You don't suppose he got a better offer elsewhere, do you?  He is not shown on the Hawks roster on the Hawks website.  (Ironically, Hinrich still is.)  Otherwise, the roster seems to be up to date, even to the point of removing Patterson, and adding Howard and Humphries.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

As I understand it, all of that took place in just the last 24 hours. I'd like to think they'll do that (hold presser), and given that Prince in particular never has yet had the chance to be introduced, I'm inclined to think it will.

1 minute ago, sturt said:

As I understand it, all of that took place in just the last 24 hours. I'd like to think they'll do that (hold presser), and given that Prince in particular never has yet had the chance to be introduced, I'm inclined to think it will.

Sounds good.  Thanks again.  BTW, I hope no one asks Prince to explain rebounding during his press conference.

Edited by Watchman
  • Like 1

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/virginia-tech/dp-spt-feature-malcolm-delaney-virginia-tech-nba-0714-20160716-story.html

Five years into his pro basketball career, Virginia Tech alum Malcolm Delaney wasn't pining for the NBA. He'd earned a handsome living playing in Europe and Asia, and a promising opportunity in Spain offered a chance at even more dinero.

Of course, Delaney is nobody's fool, either.

The lure of getting to play in the world's best hoops league is enough to interest even the most jaded basketball soul, but it was still going to take something special to get Delaney to come back to the United States.

An advantageous roster situation. A franchise that actually would give him a chance. A lot of money.

He's getting all those opportunities with the Atlanta Hawks, who signed him Friday to a guaranteed two-year, $5 million contract. (Appears to be some confusion regarding $2.5m total or $5m total. BBall Insiders has it listed as $5m total also.) Delaney, a 6-foot-3 guard from Baltimore, Md., will finally get his first crack at playing in the NBA. He'll do it as close to his terms as a league rookie could possibly get.

"Honestly, I wasn't even thinking about the NBA," Delaney said. "I was just trying to be the best player over (in Europe). My agent would talk about it and say, 'In three years, we want everybody to come after us, instead of us chasing it.' That's kind of the mentality I had. I was just trying to move up over there, and if it happened in the NBA, it happened. If not, I was still good without it."

Atlanta plans to have him compete for playing time as a backup behind projected starting point guard Dennis Schröder, a native of Germany who is entering his third fourth season with the Hawks.

"Malcolm is a player we've watched closely and built a relationship with over the last few years," Atlanta general manager Wes Wilcox said this week to NBA.com. "He's played at the highest level internationally and won with every team he's played for."

When you've established yourself overseas the way Delaney has, it's possible to be comfortable in your own basketball-playing skin — with or without the NBA.

Going undrafted in 2011 after a Tech career in which he finished third in school history with 2,255 points, Delaney embarked upon a 301-game stint on foreign soil that took him to France, Germany and Russia, averaging 14 points, 4.2 assists and 3.6 rebounds in 30.3 minutes per game.

This year, he earned All-Euroleague first team distinction after averaging 14.6 points, 4.9 assists and 3.6 rebounds in 31 minutes per game, leading Lokomotiv Kuban in Krasnodor, Russia to the Euroleague final four in his second season with the club. He calls it the most memorable experience of his pro career.

In 2014, he was named the German Bundesliga Most Valuable Player and league finals MVP while playing for FC Bayern Munich. His experience in Munich made him a household name among European basketball fans and, more importantly, front office types.

"Munich was definitely my favorite place to live and play," Delaney said.

"After that season, I had some offers that changed my life. I wasn't going to wait around for NBA free agency when I knew I could stay overseas and I had guaranteed money for the next two years. I went with the guaranteed money with Lokomotiv Kuban."

He played in the '12-13 season in Ukraine for BC Budivelnyk, which he helped propel to the Ukrainian Superleague title by being named the league MVP and being chosen first team All-Eurocup. He started his pro career in the '11-12 season in France with Elan Chalon in the Ligue Nationale de Basketball.

Delaney has had flirtations with the NBA throughout his career, but they never ended in any real avenues to the league.

After his season in France, he played in the NBA summer league with the Detroit Pistons — rarely getting off the bench. While he was in Munich, the Houston Rockets wanted to sign Delaney in the middle of the Bundesliga season, but contract stipulations didn't permit Houston to buy him out from Bayern Munich.

"I understood the politics of it," said Delaney regarding the summer league letdown. "I didn't even watch the NBA (after the summer league experience). There was probably two or 2 1/2 years I didn't even think about the NBA until that Houston thing came about. There were always players I thought I was better than who were signing with NBA teams, but I just didn't let it get to me. I just focused on making sure I was good (financially) and my family was good."

Even though Atlanta had expressed interest in signing him last summer before failing to get it done, he wasn't about to give the Hawks a sweetheart deal this summer simply on the basis of their loyalty. After all, he could've gone back to Europe, where he said Barcelona was prepared to sign him to a three-year deal worth $5 million. (See, this would lead me to think it's more likely he signed for $2.5m total, because $5m total over 2 years is even more than the $5m total over 3 years that he had lined up.)

"I wouldn't have gone to any team for the league minimum [which will be $543,471 next season in the NBA]," Delaney said. "All we needed was one team that wanted me. A couple other teams offered me for the league minimum, but I wasn't interested in it.

"I know in the long run being in the NBA will benefit me more (than being in Europe). Having my family around — they want to see me play more — and the way they're paying people now (in the NBA), I had to do it."

Not surprisingly, Delaney has had a few long-lost family members and friends re-enter his life now that he's about to begin his NBA career, but he stays true to the people who've been around for the bulk of the journey.

While he was in Atlanta last weekend for a physical with the Hawks, he had lunch with former Tech teammates Terrell Bell and Manny Atkins. Delaney also regularly stays in touch with former Hokies teammates J.T. Thompson, Dorenzo Hudson, Erick Green and Cadarian Raines.

Delaney spent part of this week working out in Las Vegas with Atlanta. He's hoping to show the success he had in Europe can translate to the NBA.

"Atlanta has always been probably the most consistent team following me," said Delaney, a former two-time All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection who will join center Dwight Howard and guard Jarrett Jack as incoming free agents in Atlanta. "They made it happen as soon as free agency opened up this year. (But did we hear a single word about this until he'd agreed? Nope...not a word. #NoLeaks!)

"I'll do what I have to do to play my role the best I can and, for sure, make it to that second contract. That's definitely got to be the biggest goal. I just want to keep getting better. Now, I'm around the top trainers. Everything is the top level. I have a chance to get better."

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I'm a lil tired of the "oh, i didn't neeeeed the NBA" and "oh, I'm all that, them teams was beggin me to come over" 'tude.

I agree I don't want a prima Dona attitude but I want a guy with confidence.   If he works hard and shots and plays anywhere close to the way he did in Euro league I still love this signing.    We are going to be more aggressive this year without Teague and Horford being  passive at times so an aggressive attitude may be a great fit.

You can never have too many 3 point shooters in today's NBA and having a shooter like Kyle mentor him can only be a good thing.   The guy seems to have great court vision and can get his own shot too.   Defending NBA players is always a HUGE question mark but our team defense and strong back court and help defense should be an asset to him.

The Jack signing is great insurance and another vet to help him adjust to NBA play and  teach him some cagey vet moves.   

• Like 2