• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rudy Gay to Hawks in 4 team trade rumor????

ThomasCredle

21 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

These same things were been said about established players like Jamal Crawford, Al Jefferson, and JR Smith.  

Yet, all 3 of those players were able to help their new team, mainly because they were surrounded by better players and better coaches who could enhance their strengths, and improve ( or even mask ) their deficiencies as players.

Heck, we're taking on one of the biggest player enigmas in recent memory, in Dwight Howard.  And yet, we're betting on the fact that Bud, the players, and the system, can make Dwight a better player.

If we aquired a player like Rudy Gay, I'd make that same bet.

But Dwight is a multiple defensive player of the year and all star. Gay hasn't done anything...ever

1 hour ago, Spud2Nique said:

Have you seen the guy play lately? He honestly just goes through the motions. I swear he doesn't care about winning or anything and it shows on the court. Try to watch him play next season and see what you think. It's pretty awful.

I mean, we can see him play if you want.

5 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

I mean, we can see him play if you want.

He also had ZERO assists that game and the Kings lost - just saying.  

(FYI - also 10 rebounds not 13)

10 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Lol again with this stat? Seriously? It's like the same debate as last year...ahhh

Because it's relevant.

The Hawks were so terrible with end game situations, that fans were even open to bring back Joe Johnson when he got waived.

People even started to dog Paul Millsap with his lack of clutchness in those situations.

As the team is constructed right now, who is taking a last second shot for the Hawks?

Dwight? - Teams may opt to foul him first ... or Bud may not even have him in the game.

Millsap? - He'd be the default option, seeing that he'd at least get the shot off.  He just doesn't excel in those situations.

Dennis? - He at least shows the willingness to do it. As of right now, it would be him almost strictly going to the rim.  Here's a nice floater from Dennis to win a preseason game a few years ago.

Baze? - If he's going to live up to his contract, he'll have to be able to knock down clutch shots at the end of games.

Kyle? - Once again, the issue is getting him open enough to get his shot off.  Like here

This was 4 years ago.

Thabo? - Ummmm no.

Tim Hardaway Jr? - At least he can say that he's made a few.  1 in college and 1 in preseason, like Dennis did.

Prince and Bembry? - That's a lot to be asking from your rookies.

Bud:  "Hey guys. We don't have anyone on the team who can create and make a shot at the end of games. You guys want to give ut a shot?"

Prince and Bembry: "Hell yeah coach."

Mike Molly? - If not in jail in the near future, maybe he'd be a good closer at the end of games.

Oh I know.  I GOT IT!!!

This guy!

Congratulations Jarrett Jack!  You MUST be the Hawks new closer.

12 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Because it's relevant.

The Hawks were so terrible with end game situations, that fans were even open to bring back Joe Johnson when he got waived.

People even started to dog Paul Millsap with his lack of clutchness in those situations.

As the team is constructed right now, who is taking a last second shot for the Hawks?

Dwight? - Teams may opt to foul him first ... or Bud may not even have him in the game.

Millsap? - He'd be the default option, seeing that he'd at least get the shot off.  He just doesn't excel in those situations.

Dennis? - He at least shows the willingness to do it. As of right now, it would be him almost strictly going to the rim.  Here's a nice floater from Dennis to win a preseason game a few years ago.

Baze? - If he's going to live up to his contract, he'll have to be able to knock down clutch shots at the end of games.

Kyle? - Once again, the issue is getting him open enough to get his shot off.  Like here

This was 4 years ago.

Thabo? - Ummmm no.

Tim Hardaway Jr? - At least he can say that he's made a few.  1 in college and 1 in preseason, like Dennis did.

Prince and Bembry? - That's a lot to be asking from your rookies.

Bud:  "Hey guys. We don't have anyone on the team who can create and make a shot at the end of games. You guys want to give ut a shot?"

Prince and Bembry: "Hell yeah coach."

Mike Molly? - If not in jail in the near future, maybe he'd be a good closer at the end of games.

Oh I know.  I GOT IT!!!

This guy!

Congratulations Jarrett Jack!  You MUST be the Hawks new closer.

Jack is pretty clutch!

• Moderators

Gay is one of those guys who has been put in situations too big for him his whole career.  He has enough talent to be a contributing role player on a good team.  It is abundantly clear he should not be any team's lead scorer.  In the past, he has often been asked (or taken on the responsibility) of being the big gun and that doesn't work out well for anyone except his opponents.  If Bud believed he could be folded into the team, then I'd be on board with it.  

• Like 2

• Moderators
51 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I haven't heard one legit source say Atlanta wants Gay around this personnel.  Not one. 

I don't think this is anything but fan speculation.  Since it is the dead part of the summer, giving it a bit more leeway than normal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AHF said:

Gay is one of those guys who has been put in situations too big for him his whole career.  He has enough talent to be a contributing role player on a good team.  It is abundantly clear he should not be any team's lead scorer.  In the past, he has often been asked (or taken on the responsibility) of being the big gun and that doesn't work out well for anyone except his opponents.  If Bud believed he could be folded into the team, then I'd be on board with it.  

I swear I don't understand the Rudy Gay hate on this board. Did he sleep with someones mommy  or girlfriend?  His teams have lost in the past and some how that's all his fault?  I've never heard any coach or teammate complain about Rudy Gay being a malcontent or ball hog.

We clamor for Demaree  Carroll, but say  Rudy Gay sucks. Rudy Gay is a much better player than Carroll  and can do everything he can do defensively and much more offensively. Hey I know let's Jamal  Crawford that's a one dimensional chucker that's better than Gay.  Wrong again. 

What did Demaree, Millsap, Bazemore, Jamal Crawford win before getting here? None of those players were considered better than Gay, and they've all contributed to winning here. 

Everyone likes to talk about the Grizzlies getting better well that was a poorly constructed team with no shooters or spacing. That has more to do with them constructing a proper team than Gay. The kings have been losing and disfunctional 12 plus years and somehow the fairly recent addition of Rudy gay is the root cause?

Bottom line if Gay is available for right price he should be here, and not as a freaking 6th man. 

4 hours ago, AHF said:

I agree with this sentiment. He's not  Lebron hell he's not even Carmelo, but that's not what we need. Noone is averaging 22+ points  a game in this system. Because of his talent people want him to be a savior, but he can be a 17ppg 3d guy here and have great success. He is at a minimum the same tier scorer as Millsap and his big scoring nights will be more prolific. 

I'm not worried about what he did  with dysfunctional Sacramento  or  the anemic offense Grizzlies. I think he projects well in our system and that's what the Hawks should be focused on. This is why the Spurs get a Boris  Diaw and turn his career  around. In Atlanta in our ISO system he was a bust. Using the logic here Pop never picks up Diaw.

The same madness that drove coach  Bud to trade the 15th pick in the draft for THJ should be compelling him today. He believed in THJ projection into his system. I just wish he would be compelled by a player  with real talent for once. 

I'm all  for it if the price is right. We should not give up any of our core, and any pick should have top 18-20 conditions around it. I would prefer to shed Tiago and  some fillers.

Lastly Rudy Gay is a  born killer. All  those end of game shots prove it. You could take every game winner from this entire team even with Al and I bet Rudy would still has almost 10 more. This is the # one reason he needs to be here. You have it or you don't. Rudy's not afraid of the moment and was the end of game guy even with Derozan  and Lowry.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

I swear I don't understand the Rudy Gay hate on this board. Did he sleep with someones mommy  or girlfriend?  His teams have lost in the past and some how that's all his fault?  I've never heard any coach or teammate complain about Rudy Gay being a malcontent or ball hog.

We clamor for Demaree  Carroll, but say  Rudy Gay sucks. Rudy Gay is a much better player than Carroll  and can do everything he can do defensively and much more offensively. Hey I know let's Jamal  Crawford that's a one dimensional chucker that's better than Gay.  Wrong again. 

What did Demaree, Millsap, Bazemore, Jamal Crawford win before getting here? None of those players were considered better than Gay, and they've all contributed to winning here. 

Everyone likes to talk about the Grizzlies getting better well that was a poorly constructed team with no shooters or spacing. That has more to do with them constructing a proper team than Gay. The kings have been losing and disfunctional 12 plus years and somehow the fairly recent addition of Rudy gay is the root cause?

Bottom line if Gay is available for right price he should be here, and not as a freaking 6th man. 

I agree with this sentiment. He's not  Lebron hell he's not even Carmelo, but that's not what we need. Noone is averaging 22+ points  a game in this system. Because of his talent people want him to be a savior, but he can be a 17ppg 3d guy here and have great success. He is at a minimum the same tier scorer as Millsap and his big scoring nights will be more prolific. 

I'm not worried about what he did  with dysfunctional Sacramento  or  the anemic offense Grizzlies. I think he projects well in our system and that's what the Hawks should be focused on. This is why the Spurs get a Boris  Diaw and turn his career  around. In Atlanta in our ISO system he was a bust. Using the logic here Pop never picks up Diaw.

The same madness that drove coach  Bud to trade the 15th pick in the draft for THJ should be compelling him today. He believed in THJ projection into his system. I just wish he would be compelled by a player  with real talent for once. 

I'm all  for it if the price is right. We should not give up any of our core, and any pick should have top 18-20 conditions around it. I would prefer to shed Tiago and  some fillers.

Lastly Rudy Gay is a  born killer. All  those end of game shots prove it. You could take every game winner from this entire team even with Al and I bet Rudy would still has almost 10 more. This is the # one reason he needs to be here. You have it or you don't. Rudy's not afraid of the moment and was the end of game guy even with Derozan  and Lowry.

Beautiful post

gXKM2.gif

2 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Side note is something broken with the quote feature? It's  copying my old post even though I only quoted  AHF.

Yeah, it's called 'user error'. :happy:  Nah, I'm kidding.  Seems to be working for me though.

On your post, I don't really disagree with you.  Gay is a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.  Seems like he has all the tools to be a lot better than he's been but ... just isn't.  Seems like a snake-bit kind of guy of sorts.  Just really weird.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, ATLien_ said:

Side note is something broken with the quote feature? It's  copying my old post even though I only quoted  AHF.

It didn't copy your old post - it combined them.  If you make two posts in the same thread in short succession without anyone posting in between, it will combine them into a single post.

59 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Yeah, it's called 'user error'. :happy:  Nah, I'm kidding.  Seems to be working for me though.

On your post, I don't really disagree with you.  Gay is a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.  Seems like he has all the tools to be a lot better than he's been but ... just isn't.  Seems like a snake-bit kind of guy of sorts.  Just really weird.

Seems to be working now. Maybe my old post was cached in my in my text window. That's saved me a couple times when I left the page on accident while constructing a post.  

Trading for Rudy Gay would be essentially a Jeff Teague to the Pacers type trade for the Hawks. Low risk high reward. He's on a good contract now with the salary inflation. You get a one year rental because he will opt out, but you gain his bird rights. If it works you have the flexibility to sign other free agents and sign him over the cap. If it doesn't you let him walk and gain 12 ish million in cap space. I really don't see a downside if we don't blow it by offering to much a la THJ. The Pacers have the same situation with Teague.

• Like 1