• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rudy Gay to Hawks in 4 team trade rumor????

ThomasCredle

2 hours ago, Watchman said:

"Rudy Gay has been vocal in saying that he does not want to be traded but rumors are swirling that the Sacramento Kings is still placing him on the trading block."

They lost me at "Kings is..."

"While adding Gay and McLemore would create a logjam at the wing, the two provides the needed depth to keep the Hawks competitive."

They lost me at "the two provides..."

Almost felt like @kg01 wrote the damn thing....

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

We mitigate the loss of Splitter, Scott may or may not even play this year due to legal problems, and THjr can do what Bremby might eventually do.  

THJr and Bembry are very different players.  THJr will never do what Bembry can do (i.e., rebound the hell out of the ball, be a primary ballhander at times, be a defensive stopper, etc.) and Bembry should never shoot as well as THJr should shoot.  Plus, THJr is a FA after this season while Bembry is under 4 years of team control at a very low price.  I don't see the comparison at all and (shock) would much prefer to keep Bembry.

• Like 3

I will defer to your better analysis of both players, AHF.  Either way, I don't see the addition of Bembry being a deal breaker for me.  I'd still do the trade.  

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, LongTimeFan said:

I will defer to your better analysis of both players, AHF.  Either way, I don't see the addition of Bembry being a deal breaker for me.  I'd still do the trade.  

Comparing their college numbers, Bembry had roughly the same number of blocks his junior year as THJr had in all 3 years of college and double the steals in college that THJr did.

Bembry is also a beast on the boards.  He averaged almost 8 boards a game his sophmore and junior seaons in college (almost double THJr).  Looking forward to seeing improved rebounding from our wings with these picks!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, LongTimeFan said:

I wonder if we could do two separate trades with Sacramento.  

First, Splitter, Scott, and Brembry for Gay and second  round draft choice.

Second, lottery protected first round draft choice and our $8 million trade exception for Kosta Koufos.

We mitigate the loss of Splitter, Scott may or may not even play this year due to legal problems, and THjr can do what Bremby might eventually do.  

The lottery protected first that we give up won't be that much better (in all likelihood) than a Sacramento second round pick (maybe ten places difference?).

Anyway ... I'd do this trade and gamble that we could improve Gay's game within our system.  

Too lazy to run the numbers... does the proposed first trade bump us over the cap then?

And, broken record alert... just hard to imagine any team taking Scott's contract until they know for sure that they're getting an on-court asset, or know for sure that they're getting an off-court voided contract that they can cut to get below the tax threshold.

• Like 1

We're already over the  cap by $4 million.  So the first trade would have us still at $4 million over the cap since it is an even swap, salaries-wise.  

With the second trade we would be $12 million over the cap.  I think it is still "legal" to do these trades, however.  

• Premium Member

@LongTimeFan , we don't have to be under the cap until the season begins, but we ultimately will have to get under it, barring a trade in which we utilize a trade exception that nudges us over it (or otherwise, had we signed Horf, and by virtue of being able to exceed the cap w/ Bird rights, that would have accomplished it).

Some very quick math says that the trade could be made, though, w/o needing Scott's salary, and conceivably the trade exception could be acquired by either signing one of our 2nd round picks for about $800K salary, or by SAC sending us a similar salary.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LongTimeFan said:

Revisit this in 3 years. Bembry has "want to". You may find this strange, but "want to" in today's NBA is > talent.  See DMC....DMC had/has "want to".  Compare to Josh Smith, one of my favorite players of all time, Josh didn't have "want to".  "Want to" compromises your own ego, "want to" is what makes you practice things coaches say are important to you, not what you want to do. Josh is 3 biscuits and 2 jump shots away from being completely out of the league. Lot's of players spend hours in the gym, but few players spend hours doing things they would rather not do.  Bembry has "want to" and that typically yields success. 

• Like 4

Rudy Gay's cap figure is 13.333.333 million. The league allows a difference of 150% of value. Which means in a 1 for 1 trade, the Hawks could send as little as 8.89 million or as much as 19.99 million. However, this is a 4 team trade. Meaning each team (assuming they are or would be over the cap) would have to meet the same criteria (some fine print applies). The Hawks also 17 players under contract and one way or another will be dropping 2 players by game 1. Currently those players are Costello and Muscala (non-guaranteeds). The could retain either (or both) by sending away more than they get back. In a scenario as stated above. The Hawks are taking back 2 players and sending out 2 (issue one). This does nothing to alleviate the logjam on the roster. The Hawks take back 17.4 million in Salary, while sending out 10.83 million. The Hawks are over the cap which requires they take back no more than 150% + $100k of salary. The proposed deal is 1.1 million more than that number. Issue 3, the deal sends away a big man and brings back an extra wing (a position we are now stocked at (Korver, Baze, Prince, Bembry, THj, Thabo, and 1/2 a Scott). This trade gives us 7 and 1/2 wings, none of which are non-guaranteed. 

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Compare to Josh Smith, one of my favorite players of all time, Josh didn't have "want to".  "Want to" compromises your own ego, "want to" is what makes you practice things coaches say are important to you, not what you want to do. 

Thats a great comparison between Josh and DMC. Truly opposites as professionals and what coaches want to work with. Think eventually Bembry may play thee different positions for us.  

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Revisit this in 3 years. Bembry has "want to". You may find this strange, but "want to" in today's NBA is > talent.  See DMC....DMC had/has "want to".  Compare to Josh Smith, one of my favorite players of all time, Josh didn't have "want to".  "Want to" compromises your own ego, "want to" is what makes you practice things coaches say are important to you, not what you want to do. Josh is 3 biscuits and 2 jump shots away from being completely out of the league. Lot's of players spend hours in the gym, but few players spend hours doing things they would rather not do.  Bembry has "want to" and that typically yields success. 

DellavaDLeague has "want to" for days.  Curry has talent.  Who you taking?

IOW, it's not that simple.  Talent wins in the NBA hands down.  The fact that Smith never became better than he did does not dispel that truth.

• Moderators
DellavaDLeague has "want to" for days.  Curry has talent.  Who you taking?

IOW, it's not that simple.  Talent wins in the NBA hands down.  The fact that Smith never became better than he did does not dispel that truth.

but Curry "wants to" too... Plus his Dad has had him exposed to the NBA since birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just say no to Gay, Prince will fit better in Hawks system in a year under a rookie contact without the Rudy curse...

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

On 8/6/2016 at 5:15 PM, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

but Curry "wants to" too... Plus his Dad has had him exposed to the NBA since birth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everybody who's made it to the NBA "wants to".  I didn't explain my point well.  That's what I get for being a wise guy.