• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Franchise players

rd79

BR article about every Teams Franchise players. Only read the first to teams...

What are your thoughts about it?

Each NBA Team's Franchise Centerpiece Entering the 2016-17 Season

Aug 25, 2016

There can only be one. 

For some NBA organizations, the choice is obvious. Their best player is still in his prime, posting massive numbers and serving as an on-court leader while performing in a manner that makes it easier to surround him with complementary talent. 

But not every team falls into that category. Sometimes, the centerpiece is the man to whom the hopes of the franchise are tethered, even if he isn't yet the roster's premier contributor. 

Even the luckiest teams that boast numerous building blocks have to push forward a single franchise centerpiece for this exercise. No matter how much talent fills up the depth chart, one man has to stand out as the indispensable piece around whom everything else is built. 

Atlanta Hawks: Dennis Schröder
2 of 31
Atlanta Hawks: Dennis Schröder
Paul Millsap remains the Atlanta Hawks' best player, and Dennis Schröder falls well below him in the pecking order. You can make a convincing argument that Dwight Howard, Kent Bazemore and Kyle Korver are all superior players right now.

But a team's centerpiece doesn't have to be its present premier individual, and no team better represents that truism than the Hawks. By trading Jeff Teague to the Indiana Pacers and turning the reins over to the young, unproven point guard, they displayed their commitment.  

If the Hawks are doomed to stay mired in mediocrity, it's because Schröder doesn't experience any sort of breakout and remains a turnover-prone, inconsistent floor general. If they suddenly take the next step in the Eastern Conference, it's because he reaches a level Teague never ascended to. 

"I think he’s going to go out and do whatever he can to elevate his game and elevate us," Kris Humphries told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Chris Vivlamore about his younger teammate. "I think Coach Bud [Mike Budenholzer] and [general manager] Wes [Wilcox] and all of us teammates expect him to bring his game to another level now that he’s getting the opportunity that he’s wanted."

The Hawks continue to acquire two-way wings who can help space the court, and Millsap is the biggest threat to make the All-Star team. But for better or worse, they've tied their fate to Schröder. 

Boston Celtics: Al Horford
3 of 31
Boston Celtics: Al Horford
We mean no disrespect to the incumbent stars here.

Isaiah Thomas was a deserving first-time All-Star after getting a chance to serve as Boston's unquestioned offensive leader, averaging 22.2 points and 6.2 assists. Jae Crowder was the two-way wing force who glued the team together and may well have been its most impactful player, even if he didn't receive that same midseason honor. 

But the newly signed Al Horford immediately becomes Boston's best player, and he's vital to the Celtics' schemes.

As crucial as Thomas has been to the offense, head coach Brad Stevens builds his strategies around bigs who can stretch the floor and provide skilled contributions—things Horford could do in his sleep for the Atlanta Hawks. He's a massive upgrade over Jared Sullinger (now with the Toronto Raptors), Kelly Olynyk and the other frontcourt players who have eaten up the majority of Boston's minutes during previous seasons.

His defense also gives the team a new element, thanks to the all-around excellence predicated upon his instincts and quick hands. Horford has long been one of the NBA's best centers, and he's now entering a situation primed to exploit all of his many talents. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Its mind boggling how moving Horford from ATL to Boston makes them number 2 in the East.

atl.JPGbostom.JPG

I am not taking anything away from Brad Stevens, but wasn't Evan Turner a big part of their success?

Millsap v Horford - Draw

Howard v Johnson - Howard

Bazemore v Crowder - Bazemore

Korver v Bradley - Bradley( Each have thier own strengths so it could be a toss up for other people)

Schröder v Thomas - undecided, even though Thomas can light it up, he is a big liability on defense

I also think the addition of Jarrett Jack will be huge as a locker room presence. Demarre and Elton Brand  were the locker room leaders for the 60 win team and alot of people say Jarret Jack is a great mentor and leader. The spurs were keeping Matt Bonner on their bench for the past few years just because he was such a good locker room presence.  I know I always draw comparisons between us and them, but they are the model franchise in probably all american sports.

Dennis is not our franchise player, not yet. He will be once all the older guys hang it up. Dwight's the new face and Sap since he got here has been our best player all round. Dennis is now the fresh new QB driving the car. His impact will be huge and will determine how we do as a team this year. He will determine Howard's touches, and if Korver gets his shots in rhythm. Baze will play off this action and Paul can create for himself if need be. 

3 hours ago, aali34 said:

Its mind boggling how moving Horford from ATL to Boston makes them number 2 in the East.

atl.JPGbostom.JPG

I am not taking anything away from Brad Stevens, but wasn't Evan Turner a big part of their success?

Millsap v Horford - Draw

Howard v Johnson - Howard

Bazemore v Crowder - Bazemore

Korver v Bradley - Bradley( Each have thier own strengths so it could be a toss up for other people)

Schröder v Thomas - undecided, even though Thomas can light it up, he is a big liability on defense

I also think the addition of Jarrett Jack will be huge as a locker room presence. Demarre and Elton Brand  were the locker room leaders for the 60 win team and alot of people say Jarret Jack is a great mentor and leader. The spurs were keeping Matt Bonner on their bench for the past few years just because he was such a good locker room presence.  I know I always draw comparisons between us and them, but they are the model franchise in probably all american sports.

With the addition of Al, he makes BOS into the modern day 2014-15 Hawks.

Without Al, they won 48 games.

With Al, they should win more.

I think ATL matches up well with BOS. I'm just hoping Bud realizes why his starting SG and starting/backup front court gets lit up by opposing SGs and stretch bigs. 

Offensively I'm not worried about ATL but defensively I am because if he tries what he did last year it'll be a repeat of the past two years.

• Moderators
15 hours ago, rd79 said:

Horford has long been one of the NBA's best centers, and he's now entering a situation primed to exploit all of his many talents. 

Here is my question.  In what way was he not in a situation primed to exploit his talents in Atlanta?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, aali34 said:

Just found out that he averaged 3.6 rebounds against the cavs in the second round. Thats embarrassing 

What's embarrassing is that you just found out :laugh1:

On August 25, 2016 at 11:51 PM, DrReality said:

Bud watched Ginobli and Parker develop into stars.  Hope he's right.  

A lot of Bud's coaching involved with them so thats very promising for us with Dennis. Patience may be a cuss word for us this coming year, though. At least early in the season. I'm expecting a ton of growth in his game by playoff time.  

• Premium Member

I agree about Dennis. We either have a guy that develops into an All Star level PG like Tony Parker or we have a guy that will never live up to his potential. I'm very confident Dennis will be the former and not the latter.

It also cracks me up how Horford spent all these year in Atl with very little national media signing his praises but as soon as he becomes a Celtic suddenly he's the best thing since sliced bread. Smh

• Like 2