• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you do this as a Hawks fan?

I might would do that (poor English notwithstanding).  I've grown to really like MillSlap and think he's a needed presence on the team but he's getting a SuperMax (prison) contract after this season and he's mid-30's.  Not a good combination.

Butler is signed for a while on a good value deal and Gibson could be a useful piece.  I don't love Butler (seems a little mouthy and appears to like the spotlight a bit much), but he brings a good 2-way skillset and (for better or worse) ain't a-feared of no one.

Count me in the 'yes' column (I guess).

Lastly, poor job not including a poal, Spud2.

ETA: I don't think CHI would do that unless Butler continues to verbally disrespect the Mayor and they just want to get him outta there.  And BOS won't come off the Neds pick.

Edited by kg01

• Admin

Butler is talented but for some reason I am not a fan of him ... I don't know what it is.

Taj would be a serviceable PF ... he is a good defender 

We continue with undersized Baz as our starting SF.   

It would be a HUGE adjustment too as our offence goes through Paul and I also wonder how Butler and Dennis would do with having to share the ball as they both want the ball in their hands.  

We get a potential closer in this but at the same time he is an ISO guy ... will he conform to our offense ... will his game mesh with Dennis and Howard??  

Is he a chemistry player?  He hasn't been that in the past ... he and Rose didn't work and I don't know if he and Rondo/Wade is going to work.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Butler is talented but for some reason I am not a fan of him ... I don't know what it is.

It would be a HUGE adjustment too as our offence goes through Paul and I also wonder how Butler and Dennis would do with having to share the ball as they both want the ball in their hands.  

We get a potential closer in this but at the same time he is an ISO guy ... will he conform to our offense ... will his game mesh with Dennis and Howard??  

Is he a chemistry player?  He hasn't been that in the past ... he and Rose didn't work and I don't know if he and Rondo/Wade is going to work.

@capstone21 I agree about Butler.  There is no denying his talent on both sides of the ball, there is just something about him that makes me uneasy about how effective he can be as a leader.  He seems like a 'Do as I say not as I do kind of guy'

It'll be interested to see how the Chicago experiment goes particularly with Rondo because we know he loves to control the ball meaning not much ISO for Jimmy.

To the trade parameters (other than Millsap) I don't like trading  Splitter in this scenario. Taj is servicable but he's no Millsap, then that leaves Hump and Edy backing up Dwight. 

What we gain in Jimmy we lose big time at PF and C. Leaves our team too unbalanced with a plethora of wings.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@capstone21 I agree about Butler.  There is no denying his talent on both sides of the ball, there is just something about him that makes me uneasy about how effective he can be as a leader.  He seems like a 'Do as I say not as I do kind of guy'

It'll be interested to see how the Chicago experiment goes particularly with Rondo because we know he loves to control the ball meaning not much ISO for Jimmy.

To the trade parameters (other than Millsap) I don't like trading  Splitter in this scenario. Taj is servicable but he's no Millsap, then that leaves Hump and Edy backing up Dwight. 

What we gain in Jimmy we lose big time at PF and C. Leaves our team too unbalanced with a plethora of wings.

I know we need a scorer.  I have no idea if Butler would work or not.     As far as whether he'd work with Rondo and Wade I don't know.   Rondo worked with Pierce so i could see him working with Butler.  Just not sure how Wade fits in.   

13 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I know we need a scorer.  I have no idea if Butler would work or not.     As far as whether he'd work with Rondo and Wade I don't know.   Rondo worked with Pierce so i could see him working with Butler.  Just not sure how Wade fits in.   

I would say we need a closer more than a scorer. Someone NOT afraid to take a shot in the final seconds.  That could be Dennis, we know he's willing it remains to ne seen if he can be that guy.

A young Rondo worked with Pierce. Pierce was a capable outside shooter and I don't consider him  as much as an ISO player as Jimmy, I do agree that the Wade dynamic is the bigger issue

1 hour ago, capstone21 said:

I certainly hear what you and JBizzle say w.r.t. Butler having that something that's off-putting.  I think it's the fact that he's gone from a feel good story of a hardscrabble guy to Mr. Hollywood hanging with the Wahlbergs and such all of a sudden.  Doesn't come across as humble at all.

To your points regarding our offense running through MillSlap, I'd say we've seen that movie before and none of us like the ending (playoff-wise).

I'm as big a Butler fan as there is and l can understand the apprehension.  He's likely an a$$hole.  

He's also a guy who went from guarding LeBron for 48 minutes in the playoffs successfully as a rookie to dropping 50 fresh off a serious elbow sprain.  The kid is pure winner.  It's not everyday you hear a star player calling for tougher coaching.  He and Bud would fall in love.

Edited by benhillboy

• Moderators

The thing is that the Hawks have 'promised' Sap he isn't going anywhere and I"m not sure why the Bulls would want to get rid of their star and best player just to bank on Rondo and Wade.   I mean they didn't bring in Rondo and Wade to tank.    Frankly if the Bulls want to unload Butler then I'd be really suspicious.   

7 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Really? Hmmm... Could be...I guess we might find out this year.

I could see that comparison kinda.  Joe has a better overall game but Jimi is a more willing scorer.  Both are indeed should-be 2nd tier guys with Jimi's willingness to be 'the guy' maybe putting him over the top?

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

The thing is that the Hawks have 'promised' Sap he isn't going anywhere and I"m not sure why the Bulls would want to get rid of their star and best player just to bank on Rondo and Wade.   I mean they didn't bring in Rondo and Wade to tank.    Frankly if the Bulls want to unload Butler then I'd be really suspicious.   

True. But I think it balances both teams out more. The Bulls might be in trouble though because their team can't shoot a lick outside. Teams will pack the paint against Rondo, Wade and Butler. Those guys are all great going to the hoop but suspect outside shooters. 

The he more I think about it though, the more I don't like the trade. I'd be more willing to do the trade if we had Horford. But with Dwight, I think I'd rather keep SAP.

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Butler reminds me too much of Joe, fringe 2nd tier/solid 3rd tier star.

Joe was a solid 2nd tier player on a championship team. He was grossly underrated by some of you guys here. Made the All Star team almost every year he was here with not much help. A great two way player who got NO credit for his defense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Really? Hmmm... Could be...I guess we might find out this year.

Yea, really.  Seemingly quiet and no nonsense kid makes a volcanic rise as a tertiary player behind bigger name guys, sky's the limit is predicted.  Gets paid and given keys to a franchise, proceeds to stumble out the gate under the newfound pressure both from a personal and team production standpoint all while injecting a fresh set of locker room uneasiness due to a newfound ego. 

Would I make the trade?  Sure, Hawks really aren't giving up much (looks like a tad of a steal, tbh) but I'm not doing it expecting ole Jimbo to come in and be the top dog.  His game and ego didn't seem capable of supporting the #1 role but maybe there was enough surrounding factors to say it was a blip, don't know, time could tell but having two alphas in Rondo and Wade may complicate evaluations some over next couple seasons.   All I know is that I got Joe cautionary tale shivers of an upjumped 2/3 being passed off as an 1 by NBA Entertainment.

2 hours ago, Sothron said:

Joe was a solid 2nd tier player on a championship team. He was grossly underrated by some of you guys here. Made the All Star team almost every year he was here with not much help. A great two way player who got NO credit for his defense.

What manner of fresh hell is this?  Did I stumble over Dol's wayback machine and end up in the 'Squawk circa 2009?  I expected a lil controversy with my comment but not for the fan club to dust off their old foam fingers and to put on a fresh pair of delusionoveralls.