• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Complete Q and A with Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer

RandomFan

And "they" said we would have trouble making the playoffs in the east ?  Well, if that is true,

there must be lots and lots of teams in the east that are, oh, so much better that they were

at the end of last season.

Bud believes in this group of NBA players and we believe in them AND in our coach and his staff.

Great interview !  Thanks....

GO ATL HAWKS !!

• Like 2

Millsap to miss early pre season games and Splitter and  J. Jack are not 100%  NBA ready, recovering.

Therefore, we may expect a lot of early playing time for others, which is great!

Our WNBA Dream's season is over and our Hawks season is starting.  Great timing !

I expect THJ to have a year 2 boom just like Carroll and Bazemore did. 

Our wings have a lot of complex reads in this offense and have to be ready to knock down open shots or cut to the rim while playing off of our PG and big men who are the main action. Coming from the mess in NY and having to learn a new system took him a while to get acclimated but I am confident he while play more loose and really display his scoring ability and athleticism. We REALLY need a 6th man that can put up points so hopefully it's him

• Like 2

If 3zus is back in normal form, Blaze continues to ascend, Thabo is Thabo, and THJr finally has his year, this is going to be good. Bembry and Prince are luxury 3rd-stringers...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hazer said:

If 3zus is back in normal form, Blaze continues to ascend, Thabo is Thabo, and THJr finally has his year, this is going to be good. Bembry and Prince are luxury 3rd-stringers...

Exactly and if any of the top guys go down or need rest  the rotation should stay just as strong

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am hoping to see one of Bembry and Prince step up as more than a luxury item.  The reason I am particularly glad to see Bud calling THJr's name out is that he cut THJr out of the rotation in the most important games of the season last year despite no good alternatives.  He just didn't trust him to perform.  We need at least 4 wings we can trust come playoff time.

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 hours ago, AHF said:

I am hoping to see one of Bembry and Prince step up as more than a luxury item.  The reason I am particularly glad to see Bud calling THJr's name out is that he cut THJr out of the rotation in the most important games of the season last year despite no good alternatives.  He just didn't trust him to perform.  We need at least 4 wings we can trust come playoff time.

Agreed.   I think the offense this year will be a little different than last and it will suit Hardaway better.   He will never be Korver but he has other strengths.   Just having him shoot spot up threes is a losing proposition.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/26/2016 at 2:41 PM, RedDawg#8 said:

I expect THJ to have a year 2 boom just like Carroll and Bazemore did. 

Our wings have a lot of complex reads in this offense and have to be ready to knock down open shots or cut to the rim while playing off of our PG and big men who are the main action. Coming from the mess in NY and having to learn a new system took him a while to get acclimated but I am confident he while play more loose and really display his scoring ability and athleticism. We REALLY need a 6th man that can put up points so hopefully it's him

The interesting part about THJ in comparison to Baze and DMC is that THJ has a more complete offensive game than those others at this stage of his career.  IF he makes the same type of jump as they did, THJ may be allstar material.  DMC was near allstar material.  Baze was solid. 

• Premium Member
On 9/26/2016 at 5:21 PM, AHF said:

The reality is that they are rookies who were not lottery picks.   We Squawkers get so caught up on players we pick and have great disappointment when  we find out that they are not who we projected them to be.   Bebe.  Payne.  Etc.   Let them go through the Bud School and then let's see what they can contribute. 

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

The reality is that they are rookies who were not lottery picks.   We Squawkers get so caught up on players we pick and have great disappointment when  we find out that they are not who we projected them to be.   Bebe.  Payne.  Etc.   Let them go through the Bud School and then let's see what they can contribute. 

Prince was a lottery pick at #12.

• Moderators
46 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Prince was a lottery pick at #12.

And he has size.   The difference between these 2 picks and past ones is they have an nba skillset, extensive ncaa experience and the good size for their positions.     I don't think you can say that about any of our recent picks except maybe Jenkins but i'd argue he didn't have an nba skillset but just shooting ability.     But the real test for both of these guys is are they quick enough to defend nba wings.     I do agree with Diesel though that we do have too high expectations as to what these guys will do as rookies.   Still it'd be nice for once to have somebody come in and really show.   We had one of those and he was the third pick.    Too bad he sucks now.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Tons of studs show up their rookie seasons regardless of where they were picked.  I want us to have drafted a Tayshaun Prince type guy who learns for a few months and then is a big difference maker by the time the playoffs role around and a key piece of the rotation for years to come.   I'm hoping we don't see two rookies who need to be sheltered in the D-League all season and can't break through to make an impact until their 2nd or 3rd year.  Let's see more Rodney Hood and less James Young.  We have to draft someone who can be a first year impact guy sometime don't we?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Has Budz spoken specifically on how he expects to use D8?  They've all kinda talked about putting pressure on the rim as a means of making room for shooters.

My assumption has been we're not going to see D8 shooting JSmoove jumpers, but I'm listening to a D8 interview (as part of NBARadio's ATL preview) and he's talking about expanding his offensive game such that the jumpers are no longer strange to see from him.

He also mentions that our team is sorta built like his successful ORL teams.

Both those statements make me cringe a little.  (a) I don't want to see a lot of jimpers and (2) I don't want us to be like those ORL teams since he's not that player anymore.

There was some of it I did like though.  When asked about GS and Durant, he said he hasn't paid much attention to the Warriors to know all about who's on their team, etc.  Said STTE he'll worry about them if we face them in the Finals.  Sorry, but I like that attitude for some reason.  IOW f*ck them dudes.

Also said the staff and team are holding him accountable in all areas.  Hopefully he recognizes that's one thing Ron Jeremy did that actually helped him.

4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Has Budz spoken specifically on how he expects to use D8?  They've all kinda talked about putting pressure on the rim as a means of making room for shooters.

My assumption has been we're not going to see D8 shooting JSmoove jumpers, but I'm listening to a D8 interview (as part of NBARadio's ATL preview) and he's talking about expanding his offensive game such that the jumpers are no longer strange to see from him.

He also mentions that our team is sorta built like his successful ORL teams.

Both those statements make me cringe a little.  (a) I don't want to see a lot of jimpers and (2) I don't want us to be like those ORL teams since he's not that player anymore.

There was some of it I did like though.  When asked about GS and Durant, he said he hasn't paid much attention to the Warriors to know all about who's on their team, etc.  Said STTE he'll worry about them if we face them in the Finals.  Sorry, but I like that attitude for some reason.  IOW f*ck them dudes.

Also said the staff and team are holding him accountable in all areas.  Hopefully he recognizes that's one thing Ron Jeremy did that actually helped him.

He did make a 12'-0" bank shot that made me go 'huh'?

This is what Bud had to say...

Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said simply expecting opposing defenses to double-team Howard is a simplistic view. He said he expects to use Howard much as the Magic did early in his career.

“I wouldn’t say expecting as far as double-teams who is going to or who is not going to is part of the Dwight factor or Dwight equation,” Budenholzer said. “I think the way he has been probably been used the best is the way Orlando used him, a lot of pick-and-rolls to a post-up and pick-and-rolls to create spacing and create pressure on the rim, and create angles and places where he can catch it in the post and catch it deep and score quickly and a of more traditional post-ups. Hopefully, you’ll see Dwight get a lot of both. If he scores 40 or 50 and we win then we will be happy. If he scores 40 or 50 and the other team wins, I’m sure that other coach will think they did a great job.

I think we'll still have our ball movement which means Dwight has to be also on the move for quick post ups etc.  I think we'll use aspects of Orlando meshed with what we already do?  It won't be Orlando as in get Dwight the ball and everything happens from there, like you said he is no longer Orlando Dwight.

• Moderators
On 9/28/2016 at 8:23 AM, JayBirdHawk said:
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

He did make a 12'-0" bank shot that made me go 'huh'?

This is what Bud had to say...

I think we'll still have our ball movement which means Dwight has to be also on the move for quick post ups etc.  I think we'll use aspects of Orlando meshed with what we already do?  It won't be Orlando as in get Dwight the ball and everything happens from there, like you said he is no longer Orlando Dwight.

That bank shot was great.   very duncanesque.   Even had a nice jump hook and still showed some good moves in the post.   I think this move is going to look genius.   He may not be as athletic as in Orlando but he's got a lot of experience and probably plays more under control now.   Being on a team without any elite scorers (especially stat padders), we should see his offensive numbers be pretty huge.   

• Like 2