• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks release Edy ; Sign Ryan Kelly

JohnnyCASH

• Admin
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

No he can't.  Ask his biggest fan, @AHF

And, considering our 1st and 2nd string points are young-ish, the 3rd guy has to be a vet (ideally).  That's why Jack was perfect.  A vet who has a mentor's rep and who doesn't expect to play starter's minutes.  A guy like Udrih or even old a** Prigioni would actually help us.  I wouldn't mind Kendall Marshall either.

Ah, was just looking at options ... forget I mentioned Goodwin ... I actually like the options you proposed ... Prigioni would be a valuable mentor ... a pass first pg ... Udrih as well or even a Steve Blake.  All could help our youngins with running an offense.

• Admin
4 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Budz is all about developing talent.  Walter was multiple years away.  He's not being "farmed" off.  He's not helping anybody right now whether he gets picked up or not.

Exactly ... he was left over in Europe to develop and then we brought him over here for a couple years ... there is only so long you invest in someone before deciding that he is not improving enough to contribute ... he is 7'3 but his talent does not equal his height.

• Admin
2 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Ugg

Edy was improving and at worst was a good bench option with a ton of upside. Not happy about this, it doesn't make much sense

Was he though?  Was he an NBA quality player?  He had elite height and as a result can block some shots but the rest of his game was nothing to write home about.

1 minute ago, capstone21 said:

Was he though?  Was he an NBA quality player?  He had elite height and as a result can block some shots but the rest of his game was nothing to write home about.

He seem to improve any time we gave him playing time. He has alot more upside then the guy we signed in his place.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, swanlee said:

He seem to improve any time we gave him playing time. He has alot more upside then the guy we signed in his place.

He got better but was nowhere near helping us.  Imagine him guarding PnR and staying with a guard  or a big that could shoot or move at all.  He was a defensive liability in 2016 NBA.  If you can't move laterally as a big nowadays, you're a dinosaur.  Walter was a stegosaurus.

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Not a good idea at all. You have to at least try to develop talent instead of farming it off, this really tells me Bud is not interested in developing players. Tiago Splitter is not going to be much of a factor IMO, he's going to get hurt again a month or two after he gets healthy.

If there was a D-League team, it'd make more sense.

I don't think Mike Scott is going to really be into it mentally until he gets his legal stuff resolved.

I said this last season. You could be right, but at least last season, I was wrong. His defense, in particular, improved.

• Admin
25 minutes ago, swanlee said:

He really only played in garbage time in the last 2 minutes at most ... hard to tell how much improvement he has shown ... 

He probably has shown enough in practice to allow Bus/Wes know that it was time to cut the cord

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

I said this last season. You could be right, but at least last season, I was wrong. His defense, in particular, improved.

Mike was in great shape last season.

I've already said he looked like he didn't put in the work this offseason. Could be his knee issue that caused it or because he didn't work out.

I'm sad to see Edy go, but as disappointing as it is, Kelly does bring slightly more value to our team at the moment with his experience and our injuries. Unfortunately there wasn't much evidence at this level to suggest Edy ever being more than a garbage time attraction. (that sounds way meaner than it's meant to) It really is a shame that we don't have our own DL team. 

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

With the our recent history I would keep Edy over Tiago because you at least know Edy would be available for minutes on the floor. I'm sure we didn't want to eat Tiago's contract though.

Moose is playing really well right now and Splitter staying healthy is still probably more reliable than Edy becoming a valuable contributor. And there's certainly no comparison between the two when Splitter can play. 

• Premium Member

I will say this... I saw Edy take those free throws Saturday, and thought to myself... or maybe out loud.... "Dang. Where did his sweet shooting stroke go?" It was like he was just slinging them up there. It kinda startled me b/c I've always thought that was a real cause for optimism, ie, that he was so fluid.

• Like 2