• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Scale of 1-10

DocWilkins

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DS17Fanboy said:

The reason he forces those are exactly to pentrate more effectively. I heard away announcers talking about his "improved shooting, also from 3", so thats really what you want for the long haul: people starting to respect your shooting pre-game already or early in the game to set the tone. As such that threath for defenses makes penetrating easier. However he missed wide open 3's early in the game last 2, so I guess that upset him, forcing the issue later on and made penetrating allot more difficult. In such games he just needs to relax and just get others involved and wait for the moments.

That being said, I think the issue is not "unwillingness" but experience and level-headedness. Sometimes you can clearly see this being an issue, like that deep covered 3 he shot early in the clock, because guys didnt move like he wanted to. He looses his cool to often and starts being a negative nancy.

Forcing bad perimeter shots will never help you penetrate more effectively.  They just make your opponent want to keep doing whatever generated that terrible forced shot.  

On  Dennis as a whole, I expect some real up and downs for him this year.  No individual game is going to cause me to hit the alarm bell.  What I want to see over the course of the season is progress and continued improvement and consistency.  He should be notably better to end the season than he was to start it.  Along the way he will have some rough games and some brilliant ones.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Forcing bad perimeter shots will never help you penetrate more effectively.  They just make your opponent want to keep doing whatever generated that terrible forced shot.  

On  Dennis as a whole, I expect some real up and downs for him this year.  No individual game is going to cause me to hit the alarm bell.  What I want to see over the course of the season is progress and continued improvement and consistency.  He should be notably better to end the season than he was to start it.  Along the way he will have some rough games and some brilliant ones.

This.

vor 6 Stunden, AHF sagte:

Im not saying its the way to go, Im explaining why he takes 2/3/4/5 bad shots in some games. It is to penetrate and it is usualy after open shots did not fall. Then I went on about his mentality and we needs to stop that. But nvm.

Small sample size with pluses and some minuses. I like the decision to move to Dennis as our PG and you just can't worry about the financial numbers as much as in the past. Look at NO with Solomon Hill who shouldn't start much of anywhere or Portland paying a backup swing a King's ransom or anything that has happened since then. Dennis is a point that won't fall asleep at the wheel and for right now we are seeing the growing pains here and there. There is only one team we know we haven't gotten past in the playoffs the last two years. Jeff was benched for good reason in that intense series last playoffs. With our two new starters we will be better prepared for them by the playoffs. We already took those jerks once this season. Think that Dennis will prove his metal during the season but maybe moreso in the playoffs after another seventy games under his belt at the helm.     

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DS17Fanboy said:

Im not saying its the way to go, Im explaining why he takes 2/3/4/5 bad shots in some games. It is to penetrate and it is usualy after open shots did not fall. Then I went on about his mentality and we needs to stop that. But nvm.

Not slamming you.  Saying that taking bad jumpers after going on "tilt" following some misses is a bad thing.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2016 at 2:21 PM, DocWilkins said:

How worried are you as a Hawks fan about Dennis and his play? Should we be expecting erratic play? Should we expect more? Does he shoot too much? Is he playing just fine? 

I will say I am about a 6 on the concern level. Again flashes of brilliance but he is so inconsistent...Drive me crazy! What say you Hawks Fans? 

Zero. I expected growing pains from him. I rather for him to go through it now than to play the whole season like an All-Star then choke in the playoffs.

• Like 1

With all due respect, I thought Dennis was supposed to be a good defensive player.  After watching Rose blow by him time after time, I have to wonder what some have been seeing that made them think Dennis was a good defender.

I want Dennis to succeed, but at this point, I'd rather have Teague.

5 minutes ago, Watchman said:

With all due respect, I thought Dennis was supposed to be a good defensive player.  After watching Rose blow by him time after time, I have to wonder what some have been seeing that made them think Dennis was a good defender.

I want Dennis to succeed, but at this point, I'd rather have Teague.

If you only watched the NY game then your assessment might have merit.

He has played in 11 other games - didn't here you fussing about his defense in those games.

Teague's time here was over, Dennis took his spot.

So I'm thinking that the Hawks are basing what they saw from Jeff and Dennis against our biggest obstacle in the East( period) in the playoffs as the truth test to this point and not an after the fact response on an early regular season game against the Knicks result in making big decisions and think they will be moving on to the rest of the season with the same PG. Everybody saw the same one, single, individual game on Sunday and also saw the playoff games last season.   

10 hours ago, DocWilkins said:

So who is going to put up the 1-10 scale on Kent Bazemore. Yikes. 

His batting average is really suffering right now with one really good game and a couple of decent ones for the season out of fourteen games. Pretty much has to have a variety of stats to contribute and hustle 24/7. Just not playing through it well at all. Expecting a whole lot more and counting on seeing it from him.

It sure seems like the team plays better with Delaney on the court rather than Dennis.  Tonight Delaney was +26 while Dennis was -16.  Interesting factoid...Dennis has had a better +/- than Delaney ONE time this year (Sacto game) while Delaney has been better in every other game.  I'm not suggesting Delaney should start or anything but the lesser play of the team with Dennis on the court is or should be a little concerning, imo.  I just hope it gets better with time. 

3 minutes ago, REHawksFan said:

It sure seems like the team plays better with Delaney on the court rather than Dennis.  Tonight Delaney was +26 while Dennis was -16.  Interesting factoid...Dennis has had a better +/- than Delaney ONE time this year (Sacto game) while Delaney has been better in every other game.  I'm not suggesting Delaney should start or anything but the lesser play of the team with Dennis on the court is or should be a little concerning, imo.  I just hope it gets better with time. 

There is a reason for this and its a continuation of last season. Kyle Korver and Kent Bazemore can't put the ball down and it makes it EXTREMELY difficult on the PG. Until March, Jeff was struggling a lot when he played with Kyle last season.

Playing. With. Wings. That. Can. Put. The. Ball. Down. Makes. The. Game. Easy.

34 minutes ago, Lurker said:

There is a reason for this and its a continuation of last season. Kyle Korver and Kent Bazemore can't put the ball down and it makes it EXTREMELY difficult on the PG. Until March, Jeff was struggling a lot when he played with Kyle last season.

Playing. With. Wings. That. Can. Put. The. Ball. Down. Makes. The. Game. Easy.

Good point, but that's not all of the issue.  According to BBall Reference, Dennis and Delaney have played with two common lineups (that I've found so far).  

Lineup 1:  Hardaway, Moose, Millsap, Thabo - With Delaney that lineup is +34.4 and with Dennis it is -33.3

Lineup 2:  Hardaway, Moose, D8, and Thabo - With Delaney that lineup is +26.0 and with Dennis it is -58.8

• Like 1