Report: Paul Millsap on the block? (Merged Threadz)

JTB

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You deserve a Wire shaking head gif but I'm at work and can't really put the time into finding it.

I gotcha Soth...Ayyyyeee yo KG

that crazy b!tch out there again!!!

IMG_7791.GIF

6 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Sabonis but kg has a point. (what am i saying?)

I mean are we trading Sap for a guy who hopefully one day in 3 years will be as good as Sap?   

You'd rather have the 'junk' from Toronto? Patterson and Ross and maybe Turtle?

Nobody is as good as Sap right now - IF we are trading Sap it's for players with potential to be as good and hopefully better.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

An empty beer car would be better than Kent and Delaney so far this season. Oladipo is a superior talent than Kent even when Kent is playing to his normal levels.

Sabonis could potentially be an AS at the 4. He's got great instincts and IQ already. I'm not saying that trade is an equal talent swap because no trade would be that but in terms of the best value we can get? Yeah, Oladipo and Sabonis would be a good return.

Don't understand all the hoopla about Sabonis.  He is essentially Muscala or Olynyk.  A tall softy.  A 6'11" small forward, who doesn't score or rebound very well.

If we were talking about his dad some 30 or so years ago, I could understand that. 

• Moderators

I'm too lazy to swim upstream through the thread, and we're kind of used to this carnival by now (Joe, Smoove, Horf, etc.). But it bears noting, again, that the NBA media salivation centers so much on what their preferred teams need (Raps any PFs not named Jared/Pascal; Celts anything that can rebound and appease La Familia) and not at all on what the Hawks would want in return (aside from avoiding the annual summertime bashing that comes when, "OMG they lost Childress and got nothing for him! They're doomt!")

If there is an article from a reputable non-Hawksworld writer that offers educated speculation on what's going on inside the Budcox Black Box, as it pertains to Paul, Kyle, and/or Thabo, then I'd like to see it. Anything that focuses on tangible Atlanta needs, instead of the boring, overstated phobia of "losing something for nothing."

~lw3

• Like 3

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You'd rather have the 'junk' from Toronto? Patterson and Ross and maybe Turtle?

Nobody is as good as Sap right now - IF we are trading Sap it's for players with potential to be as good and hopefully better.

I don't have a position either way on Sabonis but I just question what his chances are of being even as good as Sap.  Seems like the only reason to trade Sap would be for a potential future star and not just a potential future replacement.  I'd like to have Sabonis but i'd rather have someone with the future potential to be a dynamic scoring wing.   I'd say that Sap is probably the most valuable trade chip we've had in the last 5 years.   We should be able to get something pretty big out of him if we are really looking to trade.  

I'm almost at the point of wanting to go for it with this team though.  I still think we should make some trades but i'm back to trying to get a Wesley Matthews type shooter.   

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Millsap was never part of any trade rumors at the deadline - Horford and Teague were.

Again - I fully understand that. My point is I find it hard for Bud to trade Sap for Dipo/Sabonis now and not before. Orlando has wanted Millsap (they went after him in free agency) and they wanted a somewhat stretch four (hence why they traded for Ibaka). Thus, surely their GM (Hennigan? or whoever) called up Budcox and said "hey - I'll give you Oladipo, Sabonis and Ilyasova (the same thing they gave OKC) for Millsap." Budcox said "no thanks".  So, they proceeded to use those pieces for Ibaka instead.

Now maybe Bud wanted to see how our team performed before trading Sap (very possible and most likely). Or either team didn't want to trade within the same division (I don't think Orlando would care since they get their prized Millsap). I think the more likely thing is that Bud didn't care much for the return he was getting, which is why I don't think you see a Dipo/Sabonis for Sap trade with OKC. Now maybe Bud's perception of Dipo has changed (his 3P% has increased quite a bit this year on more shots), so maybe he sees a bit more value in him. But then he basically lost the chance of having an additional asset (Ilyasova) for having Millsap for half a year.

Or maybe I am completely wrong and Orlando put more value into Ibaka over Millsap given age and contract situations going forward (but I doubt this).

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Sabonis but kg has a point. (what am i saying?)

I mean are we trading Sap for a guy who hopefully one day in 3 years will be as good as Sap?   

These aren't trade ideas just to do them, this is if the team is serious in trading him and we're looking at the best possible deals. Sabonis alone is one of the few legit upside to star potential players we might get back in a deal for Millsap.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

I don't have a position either way on Sabonis but I just question what his chances are of being even as good as Sap.  Seems like the only reason to trade Sap would be for a potential future star and not just a potential future replacement.  I'd like to have Sabonis but i'd rather have someone with the future potential to be a dynamic scoring wing.   I'd say that Sap is probably the most valuable trade chip we've had in the last 5 years.   We should be able to get something pretty big out of him if we are really looking to trade.  

I'm almost at the point of wanting to go for it with this team though.  I still think we should make some trades but i'm back to trying to get a Wesley Matthews type shooter.   

I'm not enamored with him either, just saying if Sap is being traded I'd rather take a deal from OKC or Minny and not Toronto at all.

If we continue playing the way we are playing, I'm all in.

Korver has found his niche off the bench.

Hopefully after last night's headband game Baze can settle in and have a positive impact going forward.

THjr gives us consistency off the bench.

Delaney starts hitting some shots and limit his TOs.

Moose finds his shooting touch again

And finally...

Splitter and Scott are ready to give us something, anything.

That's a whole lot, but...eh.