Pay Tim Hardaway Jr

NBASupes

2 minutes ago, sturt said:

stir.gif

Not sure how to take that, John Candy.

Thought maybe I'd get something more like

oya1.gif

I see you sturt! Beefin up ur gif game like THJ in the gym the last couple summers...sneak attack huh? ;-)

Ps it's herbie Hancock 

Tim's good stretch of roundball is extending and his percentages are starting to show it, especially remembering where they were at only a few weeks ago. Has had to shoot pretty well to pull them up to where they are at now. Expecting to see the numbers looking a good bit better by the end of the season.

51 24.4 4.7-10.5 .444 1.7-5.0 .348

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2528210/tim-hardaway-jr

• 1 month later...

Hardaway taking his game to the next level

It’s the little things.

Sure, Tim Hardaway Jr. has taken some big strides in his time with the Hawks. In a well-documented journey, the Knicks’ first-round draft pick in 2013 was traded to the Hawks two years ago, overcame a wrist injury, did a stint in the NBA Development League and improved as a defender.

Big steps.

Now, Hardaway is making the little strides necessary to take his game to the next level. The path to becoming a complete basketball player involves the details of the game such as knowing when to drive to the basket or how to create extra space to get a better shot attempt.

Small steps.

“To take the next step you have to be able to think the game through instead of just going out there and playing,” teammate Paul Millsap said. “I think he is getting better at it. He’s still a young guy. He’s still learning. But he’s getting better thinking about the game, making good reads and making the proper play.”

Hardaway has become an integral part of the Hawks this season — both as a starter for injured players and as a reserve. He has provided a scoring spark off the bench. He has scored in double figures in 22 of the past 23 games, including a team-high 20 consecutive games. He started 12 of those games.

For the Hawks’ coaching staff, the small steps of Hardaway’s development was capsulized in a defensive stand earlier this season. In a February game at the Trail Blazers, the Hawks trailed by two points, 97-95, with less than 30 seconds remaining. They chose to defend the Trail Blazers’ possession as C.J. McCollum had the ball. Hardaway drew the assignment. He harassed McCollum into a step-back jumper that missed. The Hawks got the rebound with 2.2 seconds remaining. Millsap would score at the buzzer to force overtime, and the Hawks won 109-104.

“It was everything we worked on,” Hardaway said when recalling the play. “We knew down two, the ball was going to go to C.J. … Going against a premier scorer, a big-time player, a lot of guys have a lot of respect for him. I have a lot of respect for C.J. Just being able to stay in front, make it hard on him, make it a difficult shot. Luckily, he missed.

“The ball hit the front of the rim and bounced a little bit. Thankfully, it went out and we had an opportunity to win the game.”

Hardaway, who turned 25 on Thursday, remained in Atlanta over the summer to continue to work on his game with coaches and teammates. Hawks coaches requested he stay. After a conversation with his agent Mark Bartelstein, he remained and was a constant presence in the gym. Hardaway said he felt he took a step back the previous summer. He was determined not to let that happen again.

“The fact is he is really beginning to understand the subtleties of the game,” Bartelstein said. “If you work on the little things, the basketball gods will reward you with big things.”

Hardaway is the Hawks’ third-leading scorer both in total points (910) and per game average (13.8). He trails only Millsap and Dennis Schröder. He has also made a 3-pointer in 20 consecutive games.

Hardaway has set career highs in points, rebounds (176), assists (141) and steals (48).

“It’s a ladder,” Hardaway said. “You build on as the year progresses and as the years go on. Each year you pick up new things, new ways to get to the basket, get to the foul line and little things like that. On the defensive end, everything will take care of itself as you get older and more mature and understand how to read defenses a lot better.”

Many among the Hawks’ fan base would like to see Hardaway become a permanent fixture in the starting lineup. Coach Mike Budenholzer said he intends to keep Hardaway as an offensive spark off the bench. He often is the first reserve and plays extended minutes down the stretch of games. He averages 17.4 points in 33.2 minutes in 18 games as a starter and 12.4 points in 23.1 minutes in 48 games as a reserve.

Hardaway ranks seventh in the NBA in scoring off the bench, at 12.4 points per game.

“The more the ball and scoring opportunities are put in his hands and he is making decisions — drive, pass, shoot, getting open, when to go fast, when to go slow, when to be physical,” Budenholzer said. “He is doing a lot of those things well. A lot of it will come with more opportunities. He has shown an ability to be not just a scorer, but to make reads and decisions.

“I’m pretty happy with where he is, but we are putting the ball in his hands a little more. Can he be that secondary pick-and-roll guy, secondary ball-handler?”

Hardaway has put himself in the conversation for the NBA’s Most Improved Player award along with the Wizards’ Otto Porter.

The Hawks did not extend a qualifying offer to Hardaway in October. He will become a restricted free agent at the end of the season. The Hawks can match any offer he signs with another team. There likely will be a line of suitors and a considerable pay raise from his $2.28 million salary. Hardaway said it’s “human nature” to think about what the summer might entail. However, his concentration is controlling what he can on the court.

And those little things.

“If you are up here working out with your coaching staff and working out with your teammates, then the rewards are endless,” Hardaway said. “I’m prevailing right now.”

http://www.myajc.com/sports/basketball/hardaway-taking-his-game-the-next-level/7BYAiYzezRcS0QfKgxICYO/

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

He's going to get the max and ATL got no choice but to match it. SG is a weak position in FA this summer and you got a desperate Nets team who would love to have him to keep Boston from having back to back top draft picks.

8 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

He's going to get the max and ATL got no choice but to match it. SG is a weak position in FA this summer and you got a desperate Nets team who would love to have him to keep Boston from having back to back top draft picks.

I say he gets around 15-17 mil and stay with the Hawks if they are smart about it.

I feel like I talked about this in a different thread. It's much harder to determine what Hardaway Jr's contract is going to be over a guy like Bazemore or Carroll because he's not 3/D and folks around the league may still be wary about him due to his 14/15 and the fact he's playing in an offensive system that really helps guards.

As much as folks may think that he's regarded more highly than him, he may be seen to have similar value or not as high as a guy like Allen Crabbe for example.

I bet the Nets do offer him a contract but its NOT the max.

Now if he was regarded well defensively, forget it, he's getting the max, but he's not at all.

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I feel like I talked about this in a different thread. It's much harder to determine what Hardaway Jr's contract is going to be over a guy like Bazemore or Carroll because he's not 3/D and folks around the league may still be wary about him due to his 14/15 and the fact he's playing in an offensive system that really helps guards.

As much as folks may think that he's regarded more highly than him, he may be seen to have similar value or not as high as a guy like Allen Crabbe for example.

I bet the Nets do offer him a contract but its NOT the max.

Now if he was regarded well defensively, forget it, he's getting the max, but he's not at all.

His max isn't no where near a Millsap max but it's still a lot. This is what the Hawks get for gambling but Atlanta deserve to do this. Tim did not look like a 8 million per year player. 

2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

His max isn't no where near a Millsap max but it's still a lot. This is what the Hawks get for gambling but Atlanta deserve to do this. Tim did not look like a 8 million per year player. 

I wish they did the same with Dennis. You see teams like SA and DET take advantage of cap holds, use all their cap space then decide if they're going to resign their guy but oh well.

• Like 2

Yawn.  It's a contract year.  Once he gets paid he will come crashing back down to earth.  AKA the player he actually is.

Not really a case that I can definitely dismiss as “career year!” for various reasons and honestly reading the scouting report, this is who Tim Hardaway Jr really is, not the guy we saw in New York. Maybe not as high efficiency, but it appears my original take was wrong and the bad habits of New York got him.

A Michigan scouting report says that he's a good transition player, solid decision maker and passer, does not mind playing in a team concept, and can be the ballhandler in PNR. And this is basically what he's doing now. He's the third leading scorer because he's the second best player on the team with creating offense. This isn't a good thing, this team is at their best when they spread out the scoring between 5-7 players, and right now only 4 players are putting up offense.

Now did he show any of that in New York in 14/15? Outside of PNR ability, the answer to this is no. And it's appearing more and more that the issue with all of the New York players that left is that locker room was a total mess and there was no fault with all of those players.

It doesn't mean there aren't issues with him. He is better than thought at creating his own shot but his lateral speed hurts him on defense even when he's playing hard.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lurker said:

Not really a case that I can definitely dismiss as “career year!” for various reasons and honestly reading the scouting report, this is who Tim Hardaway Jr really is, not the guy we saw in New York. Maybe not as high efficiency, but it appears my original take was wrong and the bad habits of New York got him.

A Michigan scouting report says that he's a good transition player, solid decision maker and passer, does not mind playing in a team concept, and can be the ballhandler in PNR. And this is basically what he's doing now. He's the third leading scorer because he's the second best player on the team with creating offense. This isn't a good thing, this team is at their best when they spread out the scoring between 5-7 players, and right now only 4 players are putting up offense.

Now did he show any of that in New York in 14/15? Outside of PNR ability, the answer to this is no. And it's appearing more and more that the issue with all of the New York players that left is that locker room was a total mess and there was no fault with all of those players.

It doesn't mean there aren't issues with him. He is better than thought at creating his own shot but his lateral speed hurts him on defense even when he's playing hard.

He's a much better defender and his ability to finish is far better than anything I saw from him at Michigan. What he needs next his consistency at off the ball scoring like Thomas with the Celtics does.

• Like 1

Dude is going to get paid. If you are the Hawks you have to find a way to dump Baze because its no way you can pay Baze and Tim that kind of money

The Nets will throw big money at Tim. They don't have a lot of young promising players, they don't have the draft picks to help rebuild, and they have money to spend. They threw 75 million at Crabbe and he cant create nor defend.  Tim is a better player so I expect him to get a similar if not bigger deal than what they offered Crabbe. The Nets are in a position where it doesn't matter if a guy is a RFA  or not . They have nothing to lose and need good players.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

He's a much better defender and his ability to finish is far better than anything I saw from him at Michigan. What he needs next his consistency at off the ball scoring like Thomas with the Celtics does.

I believe the off ball step is coming . He's not fully implemented in buds offense just yet. I believe we will know when he is. Probably something that he's going to really work on this off season coming up 

1 hour ago, Sarcatic1 said:

Dude is going to get paid. If you are the Hawks you have to find a way to dump Baze because its no way you can pay Baze and Tim that kind of money

The Nets will throw big money at Tim. They don't have a lot of young promising players, they don't have the draft picks to help rebuild, and they have money to spend. They threw 75 million at Crabbe and he cant create nor defend.  Tim is a better player so I expect him to get a similar if not bigger deal than what they offered Crabbe. The Nets are in a position where it doesn't matter if a guy is a RFA  or not . They have nothing to lose and need good players.

I agree but other than Dennis, Hardaway, Prince, Bembry...we are almost in the same boat as the nets. And no offense to the Hawks front office (I love their efforts) but they don't have enough prestige as an NBA franchise to pick wheather or not they are going to resign THJ. 

The nba as long as it's been around has always been more about offense talent than defense (not that defense isn't important) but YOU have to have guys that can score and flat out put up points. THJ happens to be one of our 3 players on this years team we know that can do that. Prince may be able to but we won't truly know until next season.

What's interesting about THJ is that many including myself believe he could do a lot more offensively if called upon. But again we likely won't see it until next season. He should bench Baze (I actually want to keep baze & bring him off the bench).

What we need to take into account if we want to get rid of Baze via trade is which team is one hustle guy away from being contenders? Because those are more than likely the team what would take him unless we can pawn him off to the nets for a bag of chips. Like for Example the Raps got PJ Tucker. They're now on a feverish climb up the Eastern conference standings and once they get Lowry back are easily contenders. Some teams I've thought about is the Pelicans,Pacers,Wizards,and Clips 

32 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

What we need to take into account if we want to get rid of Baze via trade is which team is one hustle guy away from being contenders? Because those are more than likely the team what would take him unless we can pawn him off to the nets for a bag of chips. Like for Example the Raps got PJ Tucker. They're now on a feverish climb up the Eastern conference standings and once they get Lowry back are easily contenders. Some teams I've thought about is the Pelicans,Pacers,Wizards,and Clips 

So there was a report that came out saying Baze contract isn't hard to get rid of as many may believe ..not sure where I read that but I do believe it. With that said you make a valid point and I can see the Warriors taking Baze back to come off their bench. Iggy is getting old and they are going to want another or close to 3&D player ...so I see a possibility of dumping Baze off on the Warriors.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JTB said:

So there was a report that came out saying Baze contract isn't hard to get rid of as many may believe ..not sure where I read that but I do believe it. With that said you make a valid point and I can see the Warriors taking Baze back to come off their bench. Iggy is getting old and they are going to want another or close to 3&D player ...so I see a possibility of dumping Baze off on the Warriors.

I mean for example we could take Monta Ellis from Indy and easily be able to dump him in the offseason because his contract is shorter

2 hours ago, JTB said:

Wow that ray of hope just brightened my day lol.

Looking at Tim's advanced numbers though his impact is very similar to Dennis's.  Giving consistent effort and communicating well in the team aspect is about as good a defender as I expect but his playmaking could improve around better players.  The next natural step is stop settling for 3s so much and force himself to the stripe a bit more.  

Hopefully his background containing a well-off, NBA-experienced, caring father gives him some perspective on staying with a coaching staff that made him a much better player as opposed to chasing the money.

Edited by benhillboy