• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THE TRADE DEADLINE - February 23rd at 3:00PM

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Melo could realistically change the east for four teams of they could get him on a discount.

That's 

Charlotte

Indiana 

Especially Toronto and Atlanta.

These three teams would be blessed to move a weaker piece and picks for Melo. 

This is the win trade we and those other teams need to become an elite East team. All of those teams need a Sheed to Detroit type of trade to put them over.

No.  Cavaliers have the east sewn up since the end of the finals.  Carmelo isn't putting any team past Cleveland.  He's a cancer, a ball stopper, and a non defender.  He's not an efficient scorer either.  He literally makes a decent team no better.

• Like 1

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Alex said:

No.  Cavaliers have the east sewn up since the end of the finals.  Carmelo isn't putting any team past Cleveland.  He's a cancer, a ball stopper, and a non defender.  He's not an efficient scorer either.  He literally makes a decent team no better.

He made the Olympic team better.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

He made the Olympic team better.

But that's like a dream team scenario...I'm just sayin...I dunno maybe he would be good on certain teams but he can't be your #1 player. You put him with guys like Durant and Lebron then his job becomes easier and he shines. I dunno, I'm so torn. Northcyde is slowly convincing me. But not being a Melo fan ever, it's really hard to convert.

3 hours ago, REHawksFan said:

Never been a melo fan either but you gotta admit the team as is ain't going anywhere in the playoffs.  IF it only takes Baze, Speedy Splitter, and a pick to get him, why not try it?  You aren't giving up anything most would lament losing and it COULD work.  If not, trade him and move on. 

I don't KNOW that it will work, but I am convinced the team as is won't win anything of substance so why not try it if it's not going to hurt you long term? 

He isn't going to accept a trade to the Hawks anyway.  He holds all the cards in this scenario already.  He can pick what team he wants to play for and if the Knicks don't like the return then he isn't going to be dealt.

He could possibly help Boston or Toronto get over the Cavaliers hump, but he isn't helping anyone out in the west.  He damn sure isn't helping the Hawks either.  I think he actually makes this team worse if he for some unknown reason was traded here.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

He isn't going to accept a trade to the Hawks anyway.  He holds all the cards in this scenario already.  He can pick what team he wants to play for and if the Knicks don't like the return then he isn't going to be dealt.

He could possibly help Boston or Toronto get over the Cavaliers hump, but he isn't helping anyone out in the west.  He damn sure isn't helping the Hawks either.  I think he actually makes this team worse if he for some unknown reason was traded here.  

( sigh )

The only thing he didn't do in this game, was make the final shot.  He even had a few good defensive plays.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Seen it play out too many times already... people put sexy players' names on paper, and the right brain told them, "yes, yes"... but then the acquisition happened, disappointment quickly set in, and the left brain reminded them of all the sober reasons they knew better and should have said "no, no."

Funny thing is there will be a million rumors from now till the deadline but nothing will happen for the next 12.5 days. Various writers on different sites all want you to read their latest crap trade rumor. I'm boycotting it this year. I will tune in with about 12-24 hours left till the deadline. Fool me  30 times shame on you, fool me 31 times, shame on me. Lol.

ps Of all the rumors forthcoming, maybe 0.3% of them will be right...and I'm being generous.

I think the Hawk will either stand pat or make an incremental improvement by adding someone Wilson Chandler from Denver.

I would expect the Hawks to be more active during the draft.  Keep in mind there's a good chance the Hawks will end up with 3 2nd round picks this year.

30 minutes ago, aali34 said:

This is too serious a discussion for a hypothetical situation

All trade speculation is hypothetical since none of us have any insider info and the minions that do cover the team are in the same boat we are.   So what's left? hypotheticals, wishes, wants and dreams of ways to improve the team for now and the future.

• Premium Member
Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

All trade speculation is hypothetical since none of us have any insider info and the minions that do cover the team are in the same boat we are.   So what's left? hypotheticals, wishes, wants and dreams of ways to improve the team for now and the future.

I get that, but if there was a rumor of some sort about Melo and ATL than it would be fine. This is why I stay more interested in the draft vs trade scenarios and free agency

ATLANTA
Roster
Player                                              Value                             Insider info
1. Paul Millsap                                All-Star                     2017-18 player option
2. Dwight Howard                         Key starter
3. Dennis Schroder                       Key starter                Poison-pill restriction
4. Kent Bazemore                            Starter
5. *Thabo Sefolosha                    Top reserve                   Expiring contract
6. Tim Hardaway                          Top reserve                RFA expiring contract
7. Malcolm Delaney                     Top reserve
8. Mike Dunleavy                            Rotation                2017-18 $1.6M protection
9. Mike Muscala                              Rotation                      Expiring contract
10. Kris Humphries                         Rotation                      Expiring contract
11. Mike Scott                                 Roster                        Expiring contract
12. Tiago Splitter                        Roster/injured                 Expiring contract
13. Taurean Prince                       Development
14. DeAndre’ Bembry                  Development
15. Lamar Patterson                    Development                   10-day contract
*Started but roster value is best as a top reserve.

Trade assets

The Hawks have all their own first-round picks and the Timberwolves’ 2018 first-rounder (lottery protected) and the Cavaliers’ 2019 first (protected Nos. 1-10).

The Hawks have another first in the 2017 draft, which was acquired in the Joe Johnson trade with Brooklyn in 2012 (This is not correct at all). Atlanta also has the Nets’ second-round pick in June’s draft, which currently is at No. 31.

Atlanta also has a likely unprotected 2018 second-rounder from Miami and a 2019 second-rounder from Washington.

The Hawks also have the rights to second-round selections Isaia Cordinier (2016), Marcus Eriksson (2015) and Dimitrios Agravanis (2015). All three are playing in Europe.

The balancing act

Like last season with free agent-to-be Al Horford, the Hawks are in a precarious position.

A team likely headed to the playoffs for a 10th straight season is facing an uncertain future with Millsap’s pending free agency.

The challenge in Atlanta is balancing realistic expectations with an eye toward the future for a team that likely will have home-court advantage in the first round of the playoffs if the roster stays intact.

Atlanta also has one thing that many teams do not: a coach in Mike Budenholzer who has the final say in roster decisions.

He will need to weigh roster decisions that impact wins and losses now against the playoffs and the future.

Paul Millsap will likely be a free agent this summer. (AP)

GM history at the deadline

Since being named general manager in 2015, Wes Wilcox has orchestrated four post-Jan. 1 trades during his tenure.

In the past three years Atlanta has turned Kyle Korver and Adreian Payne into two future first-round picks: a 2018 lottery-protected pick from Minnesota and a 2019 pick from Cleveland that is protected Nos. 1-10.

In addition to the first-rounders, Atlanta also created a $2.2 million trade exception recently with the Mo Williams trade to Denver. The Hawks acquired veteran Kirk Hinrich at the 2016 deadline.

Post-trade deadline roster movement

The Hawks have 14 guaranteed contracts and could get Splitter back from injury. Since undergoing hip surgery last February, Splitter has missed the current season with various hamstring and calf injuries.

The Hawks have the pro-rated room mid-level exception ($2.6 million) if needed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/trade-guide-east-teams-eyeing-home-court-214345546.html

@JayBirdHawk I wish we could just cash in and pluck a Nugget or Sun from their rosters..lol...I really like those 2 rosters...but I doubt either of them move any key players...

ps I'd like to take this opportunity to let the Nets know how stupid of a franchise they are for trading for senior citizens kg and Paulette...smh..all they did was cost us Devin Booker and give the Celts a possible Ball brother in Lorenzo...

I truly wish Kenny Atkinson got ANY other head coaching job..well obviously not the Celts or Knicks either tho..Kenny is a good guy but I hope the Nets NEVER recover.