• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis being benched

thecampster

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, AHF said:

Agree, @macdaddy

I agree with your edits, lol.   But the truth is that he's not horrible at shooting spot up 3s.  He was horrible in December but since is doing ok.   If he improves his decision making then he could be a decent 3&d guy off the bench (little d)

• Like 2

His decision making is directly related to his approach. 2 seconds before driving, what is he thinking. Is he thinking create or is he thinking score.  Penetrate, dish/kick/score...in that order. Once he changes his approach to that, he'll take 3 steps forward.

Edited by thecampster

On 3/13/2017 at 2:58 PM, Bankingitbig said:

People get on to Dennis for constantly letting the ball roll up the court on an inbounds pass. But I have yet to really see him do it at an inopportune time. When we are leading he will do it if there are more than 2mins remaining as the game clock still runs, but the shot clock doesn't. This is where I think a lot of people get frustrated with him, but don't fully understand the clock management. He will do it randomly during a game, but I am not going to complain about having a full 24-second shot clock to use in the half court.

No . . . he shouldn't be doing it at all when the Hawks are leading in a game.  No reason whatsoever to do it.  I can remember him almost turning the ball over twice doing that.   I believe he did it in the Indiana game in the 4th quarter . . . a game we lost at the buzzer.

It would be like a football team being up by 7 with 2 minutes to go, purposely running plays to get out of bounds, to have more time to score.

Dennis thinks he's being smart in doing that, but he isn't.   A quick PG is going to bait Dennis into a turnover, if he continues to do that.   They'll turn their back to Dennis and act like they're talking to a teammate . . . then turn around real fast and go for the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

No . . . he shouldn't be doing it at all when the Hawks are leading in a game.  No reason whatsoever to do it.  I can remember him almost turning the ball over twice doing that.   I believe he did it in the Indiana game in the 4th quarter . . . a game we lost at the buzzer.

It would be like a football team being up by 7 with 2 minutes to go, purposely running plays to get out of bounds, to have more time to score.

Dennis thinks he's being smart in doing that, but he isn't.   A quick PG is going to bait Dennis into a turnover, if he continues to do that.   They'll turn their back to Dennis and act like they're talking to a teammate . . . then turn around real fast and go for the ball.

@TheNorthCydeRisesI think you missed what @Bankingitbig said, the game clock is running taking time off the clock but not the shot clock.  I don't really know if that's true or not. I thought the clock both game and shot clock don't start until the ball is touched. If we are leading it should not be done though.  If we are behind, definitely , yes.

1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

A quick PG

But Dennis is the quickest....lol

But I totally agree why would you do that when you are up. I think Dennis just saw NBA guys start doin that like 10 years ago and followed suit. Lol.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@TheNorthCydeRisesI think you missed what @Bankingitbig said, the game clock is running taking time off the clock but not the shot clock.  I don't really know if that's true or not. I thought the clock both game and shot clock don't start until the ball is touched. If we are leading it should not be done though.  If we are behind, definitely , yes.

Hmmm...not sure what bankingitbig meant or north but if ur up then TOUCH THE DAMN BALL AND LET THE CLOCK START!!!! (See...that was a 6.....you don't wanna see me at 10)...

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Hmmm...not sure what bankingitbig meant or north but if ur up then TOUCH THE DAMN BALL AND LET THE CLOCK START!!!! (See...that was a 6.....you don't wanna see me at 10)...

To me it's mostly about maximizing your time to run the play.   Even if you're up you want a quality possession and given our offensive ineptitude  struggles i'd rather have 20 seconds to work with than 15.   

• Like 3

Section V-Stoppage of Timing Devices
b. The timing devices shall be stopped:
(1) During the last minute of the first, second and third periods following a successful field goal attempt.
(2) During the last two minutes of regulation play and/or overtime(s) following a successful field goal attempt.

Section II-Starting and Stopping of 24-Second Clock
b. On a throw-in, the 24-second clock shall start when the ball is legally touched on the court by a player.

Game clock will run if there is more than 2:00 left in the fourth quarter, but shot clock will not run until a player touches the ball on a throw-in. Thus, I am ok with Dennis letting the ball roll when we are leading and there is more than 2:00 left in the fourth. In this scenario, he is letting extra time run off the clock while we are leading without impacting our shot clock.

Edited by Bankingitbig
  • Like 3

As far as I know, Schröder has never turned the ball over in these situations. And it's smart to do. 4-5 more seconds for your offense is huge. It is also a risk for the defender to go for the ball, because if he misses the steal, he is beat and the Hawks have a 5vs4 with Schröder running at the defense at full speed.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, kurupt said:

As far as I know, Schröder has never turned the ball over in these situations. And it's smart to do. 4-5 more seconds for your offense is huge. It is also a risk for the defender to go for the ball, because if he misses the steal, he is beat and the Hawks have a 5vs4 with Schröder running at the defense at full speed.

And the incident the discussion started with ended with a THJ shot late in the shot clock, so no more time for the opponent, but more time to create a better shot - what unfortunately wasn't done.
I think that is a completely unnecessary discussion initiated by some posters who doesn't know the rules and game situations it is used in... And as always when Dennis is criticized for something he does on purpose again and again, he wouldn't do it if Bud wouldn't agree... 

• Like 2

You have to have some sort of logic problem to consider not touching the ball after the inbound-play at any given time as a mistake.

You don't have less seconds on the clock if you touch it early. As long as you use the whole shot clock it's always 24 seconds whether you touch it directly after the inbound or just behind the halfcourt. But then again what's better? To have 24seconds in the opponents half or having like 18 seconds to create a shot?

If anything it's a wise and good thing Dennis does.

• Like 2

It's a strategic, shrewd, and beneficial practice which has never resulted in a turnover for The Menace. It's actually MORE beneficial when you're leading because it runs the game clock out while still allowing a full 24 seconds in the half court set.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 2

• Moderators
15 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

Section V-Stoppage of Timing Devices
b. The timing devices shall be stopped:
(1) During the last minute of the first, second and third periods following a successful field goal attempt.
(2) During the last two minutes of regulation play and/or overtime(s) following a successful field goal attempt.

Section II-Starting and Stopping of 24-Second Clock
b. On a throw-in, the 24-second clock shall start when the ball is legally touched on the court by a player.

Game clock will run if there is more than 2:00 left in the fourth quarter, but shot clock will not run until a player touches the ball on a throw-in. Thus, I am ok with Dennis letting the ball roll when we are leading and there is more than 2:00 left in the fourth. In this scenario, he is letting extra time run off the clock while we are leading without impacting our shot clock.

I have never noticed that the game clock starts in these situations other than the end of the game.   Learn something new everyday.   That's pretty interesting so you actually burn more clock on your possession than if you pick up the ball.    If this is the case then you probably should not do it if you are behind since you are wasting game clock.   

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

I have never noticed that the game clock starts in these situations other than the end of the game.   Learn something new everyday.   That's pretty interesting so you actually burn more clock on your possession than if you pick up the ball.    If this is the case then you probably should not do it if you are behind since you are wasting game clock.   

So you thought the game clock stopped on every made basket besides the last 2 minutes of the quarters....that would make the game last for 5 hours lol.

Common Mac we are trying to speed the game along not slow it down -Adam SLIver (not Silver that snake).