• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Problem is Dennis.

Diesel

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

Diesel--The Al Sharpton/Jesse Jackson of Hawksquawk.  He likes to get people riled up not matter how stupid his argument is. Has no other purpose than to push those buttons.  Dennis stepped up when we needed him to.  He didn't shrink when the spotlight was on him. was he suppose to force the ball to guys shooting 30 percent from the field. He is better than Teague right now and he is not costing us 20+ million a season. Can he improve? Hell yes. You remind me of my wife who likes have an argument just for the hell of it.

Just because you're scoring points doesn't mean that you are running the offense... e.g. Stephon Marbury.

There's a reason why Jason Kidd has a ring and guys like Stephon Marbury and Tim Hardaway Sr. never sniffed a championship. 

Just go back and vision Jason Kidd taking NJ to the NBA finals.... think of the players who surrounded him.  DO you think that Dennis can do anything close to that?  Good thing that he doesn't have to , however, with Plenty More talent than Kidd had in NJ, Dennis is turning in a Marbury like performance. 

• Like 1

I know I have a completely different way of looking at things, but I took a deeper look at the NJN rosters for the first two seasons that Kidd was there and while its not too impressive its not like the other top players are bad players, and the East was not very good those two years.

Kittles is a good shooter, Martin was pretty good when healthy (and when healthy was a problem for him), and I don't have a clue about Van Horn but he was a solid scoring SF/PF in his time. Jefferson was also terrific in his prime.

Playing a hypothetical game that plants Dennis in that situation, Martin would be like Millsap in that he'd share the first/second option with Dennis in every game, Kittles would be not too far behind both shots wise, and then who knows. It'd be about a mid 40s win team, maybe a little higher. I don't know about playoff success.

Kidd was a terrific roleplayer with Dallas in that 2011 run but a lot of that run should be credited with Dirk willing his team to that championship.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 10:37 AM, Lurker said:

When I'm looking for someone to "dive hard" on PNR, I am NOT looking for them to get post position! I do not consider post offense to be good offense. I'm looking for them to get to the rim and help create attention through that.

Name the type of center ( a better center than Dwight ) that you think would be a better fit in "diving hard" on the PNR.  And let's see how many of those types of centers are available.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Name the type of center ( a better center than Dwight ) that you think would be a better fit in "diving hard" on the PNR.  And let's see how many of those types of centers are available.

With you on that. So.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Gortat

Lopez -Bulls

Drummond

Gasol

Gobert

Nurkic

Chandler

Adams

Cousins

Towns and probably a number of guys I am forgetting about

• Premium Member

This year's blame game is sounding eerily similar to last year's blame game except the names have changed.  Last year it was the center and point guard's fault and guess what, this year is no different.  Others continue to remain blameless for some reason other than Bazemore.  And that's only because of his salary.  Somethings never change around here.  If we don't win a championship in a given year blame the point guard and center then get rid of everyone except the coach and start over.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

This year's blame game is sounding eerily similar to last year's blame game except the names have changed.  Last year it was the center and point guard's fault and guess what, this year is no different.  Others continue to remain blameless for some reason other than Bazemore.  And that's only because of his salary.  Somethings never change around here.  If we don't win a championship in a given year blame the point guard and center then get rid of everyone except the coach and start over.

Some of it is system, but the reason we had the Center and PG in previous years and was still successful is because we played within a team dynamic, we had better shooters, and our players were unselfish.   A lot of people harp about just the shooters, but the truth is that the unselfish play and the team dynamic is what did a lot for our shooters.   Our rebounding sucked in those years and in the playoffs, Cleveland quickly dispatched of us because they lived with second chance points.   Now, we have patched our rebounding and our problem is selfishness and IsoBall.   These two things are Dennis' calling cards.  Dennis is not a playmaker.  He is not a guy who will be satisified with 6 points and 15 assists in a team win.   When I said Dennis is the problem, I mean that when your floor general is not a playmaker (even if he's a shoot first PG, he can still be a playmaker)..it creates a situation where everybody goes for self and you end up with what looks like a cohesive offense but is really just ISOBALL.  Dennis has always been the guy who looked at Bud's offensive scheme and tried to determine... if I move guys around, how can I get a better shot.  So you see guys get position... like Howard and sometimes Sap.. and Dennis will totally ignore them.. You can't be ball dominant and play that way and think that we will have a team...

Image result for I don't see no team gif remember the titans

• Like 1

so if I was in a team with chris paul and i could not make an open three, set screens, or do anything to help my team, according to you it would be his fault. Because he is not a good floor general, because he doesn't serve me opportunities that even i could make. 

Sounds about right.

• Like 3

Improved on that horrid rebounding issue but once again couldn't make threes when we had to have them, a terrible percentage overall. Weren't even facing the Cavs this time. Gotta have those guns in the postseason. Feel like that was the biggest issue in every loss, and if we missed a three they were half way down the court to boot. Point guard was not causing that stuff to happen plus Dennis shot over forty percent from three.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Some of it is system, but the reason we had the Center and PG in previous years and was still successful is because we played within a team dynamic, we had better shooters, and our players were unselfish.   A lot of people harp about just the shooters, but the truth is that the unselfish play and the team dynamic is what did a lot for our shooters.   Our rebounding sucked in those years and in the playoffs, Cleveland quickly dispatched of us because they lived with second chance points.   Now, we have patched our rebounding and our problem is selfishness and IsoBall.   These two things are Dennis' calling cards.  Dennis is not a playmaker.  He is not a guy who will be satisified with 6 points and 15 assists in a team win.   When I said Dennis is the problem, I mean that when your floor general is not a playmaker (even if he's a shoot first PG, he can still be a playmaker)..it creates a situation where everybody goes for self and you end up with what looks like a cohesive offense but is really just ISOBALL.  Dennis has always been the guy who looked at Bud's offensive scheme and tried to determine... if I move guys around, how can I get a better shot.  So you see guys get position... like Howard and sometimes Sap.. and Dennis will totally ignore them.. You can't be ball dominant and play that way and think that we will have a team...

Image result for I don't see no team gif remember the titans

FG%                                      3P%

Paul Millsap                                      .505                                       .176

Tim Hardaway Jr.                               .329                                       .262

Kent Bazemore                                  .396                                       .292

Taurean Prince                                   .558                                       .286

Ersan Ilyasova                                    .345                                        .200

Mike Muscala                                     .278                                         .000

So it was Dennis' lack of leadership that cause all of these guys to shoot under 30% from 3 in the playoffs?

• Like 3

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, Ekyo said:

so if I was in a team with chris paul and i could not make an open three, set screens, or do anything to help my team, according to you it would be his fault. Because he is not a good floor general, because he doesn't serve me opportunities that even i could make. 

Sounds about right.

Great Hyperboyle... Bad Example.  Chris Paul is the guy that is satisified with 6 points, 15 assist, and a team win.   Dennis is not.  That's why we have these games where Dennis is lead scorer and everybody else is playing ISOBALL.  That's your problem.... in your fandom of Dennis... you forget about the whole team...not one or two guys.

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So it was Dennis' lack of leadership that cause all of these guys to shoot under 30% from 3 in the playoffs?

These three starters averaged 24% from three together. Sap, Prince and Tim. Enough were open shots so dismal doesn't begin to describe that.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

FG%                                      3P%

Paul Millsap                                      .505                                       .176

Tim Hardaway Jr.                               .329                                       .262

Kent Bazemore                                  .396                                       .292

Taurean Prince                                   .558                                       .286

Ersan Ilyasova                                    .345                                        .200

Mike Muscala                                     .278                                         .000

IF Dennis runs the offense so that guys feel that they have to get their own points.. (ISOBALL) then yes, this is the result.  5 guys playing 1 on 5 instead of a team game. 

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

IF Dennis runs the offense so that guys feel that they have to get their own points.. (ISOBALL) then yes, this is the result.  5 guys playing 1 on 5 instead of a team game. 

So why didn't they hit their 3's when Dennis was on the bench?

4 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Great Hyperboyle... Bad Example.  Chris Paul is the guy that is satisified with 6 points, 15 assist, and a team win.   Dennis is not.  That's why we have these games where Dennis is lead scorer and everybody else is playing ISOBALL.  That's your problem.... in your fandom of Dennis... you forget about the whole team...not one or two guys.

Satisfy and effective are two different things,  while I see what you want to say, you just aren't saying it and it comes off dense. 

Dennis isn't a pass first PG. He's an offensive minded PG with elite PnR PG skills but isn't as effective at other parts like Walker. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Satisfy and effective are two different things,  while I see what you want to say, you just aren't saying it and it comes off dense. 

Dennis isn't a pass first PG. He's an offensive minded PG with elite PnR PG skills but isn't as effective at other parts like Walker. 

I can agree with your second statement.  Dennis needs tutoring from a guy like Calderon who doesn't have the skills to score that Dennis has but he does know how to run an offense.  Dennis doesn't run the offense, the offense that we called Budball disappears and guys go into isoball.  Somebody asked why doesn't it go back when Dennis goes to the bench? Why is it that when I start a feeding frenzy when I'm chumming do fish go after any bait I throw out there.  Players don't change that quickly, nor does Dennis go out that much.