• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $440 of $700 target

The Problem is Dennis.

Diesel

2 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Lmao. That there's even a debate to whom's the cancerous in the team.

Come on guys. I know Dwight CAN be good. Its just highly unlikely due to him only playing good when everything goes his way.

Dwight needs to get touches in the post in order to play good defense (what an awful mindset tbh). Therefore he needs passes above or right on his chest level. He also needs a ref not counting his seconds in the paint. He also needs a C without any skillset to play against. Specifically a player like him just weaker. If it's a stretch 5 he's unplayable because his lazy a** won't take a step out of the paint to give the 5 or the switched on PG a tough shot. Consequently  he needs a PG without a midrange game too to succeed. 

The funny thing about Dwight is. He could be a pretty great player still if he'd accept his role in the team as an defensive anchor and wouldn't be a lil pu**y b*thing about touches he doesn't justify and actually would give a damn on the defensive end.

Hes not to blame because hes a bad player. He isnt. Hes to blame because he doesn't give a f*ck about the team and winning but about his superstar attitude and how he's a first option (which he nowhere should be)

Sounds pretty much like Dennis too then.

vor 25 Minuten, Diesel sagte:

THOSE ARE IMAGINARY TRUTHS.

Let's talk about what's real..

Millsap doesn't need to be a three point shooter for him and Dwight to work.  Millsap's game was Midrange and still is.  And he can play inside.  He added a three point shot, but there's no clear reason for why he would need to be able to hit threes for  him and D8 to work.  Hell, if we had consistent 3 pt shooting from the wings this team would be much better.   THE TRUTH IS....  As a team, we shot 34%(That's with Korver's contribution 41%from three...  Last year it was 35% and the year before that it was 38%.  IF we ever came anywhere close to shooting 38% from three.. whether Paul Participate in that or not, Millsap and Howard would work just fine.  

As a team, we had about 23.6 apg compared to last years 25.6 and the yr before 25.7.

The evidence of what's wrong with this team is right there. The ball is not moving around as well as it once did and the three pointers aren't going down as well as before. 

That's not about Just Paul's stroke because I believe that Paul being a stretch 4 is not more important than having a 3 or a 2 who can hit the three with consistency about 40%.  i.e. if you plung Paul down in the midrange...and get some shooters on the wings and pass to everybody.

Back to Paul.. You keep emphasizing that he's down in his three point shooting.. well, let look:

2014-2015:  77 3pm, 35.6%

2015-2016:  74 3pm 32%

2016-2017:  75 3pm  31%

I'm not a statistics guy but This 1% that you're crying about is not worth a hill of beans.  Millsap has consistently gotten us about 70+ 3pters per year... that's less than 1 a game even in his best year shooting.  So you're saying that this guy who makes about 1 3pter a game and his ability to hit that is costing our offense so much??

You have Fake News my friend.

Funny how you can't smell that the ball might not move as well because we replaced a top 3 passing big with an icanneitherdribblenorpasstheball big. Didn't you see how that opened up gaps EVERYWHERE? Man oh man

Edited by StephenHawking
  • Like 1

vor 1 Minute, Watchman sagte:

Sounds pretty much like Dennis too then.

Idk.. I see one guy tearing his heart out on the floor going hard in every possession. And I see a guy getting a 3sec call every damn game not setting screens nor defending the PnR. 

I'm with you guys dennis has to get better at certain aspects. Its just flat out funny that you blame the rookie starter more than the veteran big who actually behaves like a rookie without any passion for the game 

• Like 3

Just now, StephenHawking said:

Idk.. I see one guy tearing his heart out on the floor going hard in every possession. And I see a guy getting a 3sec call every damn game not setting screens nor defending the PnR. 

I'm with you guys dennis has to get better at certain aspects. Its just flat out funny that you blame the rookie starter more than the veteran big who actually behaves like a rookie without any passion for the game 

Putting forth great effort is not in and of itself benefiting the team.  I think Schröder is basically a smaller version of Josh Smith.  He thinks too highly of himself and thinks about how HE can do something, not how WE can do something.  I don't consider Dennis to be THE problem, but he is A problem.  We have many more.

• Moderators

Schröder would be helped by wings who could help share the load as well.  Bear in mind most of the regular season was starting offensive black holes Bazemore and Thabo and the postseason was a competition between THJr and Baze to see who could suck more.  (THJr won but Baze was no pushover).

• Like 3

vor 28 Minuten, Watchman sagte:

Putting forth great effort is not in and of itself benefiting the team.  I think Schröder is basically a smaller version of Josh Smith.  He thinks too highly of himself and thinks about how HE can do something, not how WE can do something.  I don't consider Dennis to be THE problem, but he is A problem.  We have many more.

I agree with you that he thinks highly of himself. I just don't see it as a negative because he usually steps up when he's needed. I agree that he is A problem. But so is anyone else. They're all contributing to the product and they all could do better. 

However there are little and bigger problems. Bigger problems are a badly constituted team. It lacks a second ballhandler. Thats what Hawks Basketball was about. Two ball handlers who can find every shooter in every spot at any given time. Its easy to defend when there's only one guy on the floor who's able to pass and dribble. 

And don't tell me baze can do it. He had a couple of nice assists... and with it tons of not so nice turnovers. A passer in the frontcourt is needed. I'd love if we draft a passing big

vor 36 Minuten, Watchman sagte:

Also fundamentally I'd rather have someone trying and failing than someone not trying at all.

3 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

Also fundamentally I'd rather have someone trying and failing than someone not trying at all.

Well, we can see if Smoove is available.    just kidding.  As I said, we have many problems.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, StephenHawking said:

I agree with you that he thinks highly of himself. I just don't see it as a negative because he usually steps up when he's needed. I agree that he is A problem. But so is anyone else. They're all contributing to the product and they all could do better. 

However there are little and bigger problems. Bigger problems are a badly constituted team. It lacks a second ballhandler. Thats what Hawks Basketball was about. Two ball handlers who can find every shooter in every spot at any given time. Its easy to defend when there's only one guy on the floor who's able to pass and dribble. 

And don't tell me baze can do it. He had a couple of nice assists... and with it tons of not so nice turnovers. A passer in the frontcourt is needed. I'd love if we draft a passing big

I agree with you about more ball handlers.  This team is shockingly inept at dribbling and passing the ball.  You just don't seem to see this so much on other teams (or I see them so infrequently, it seems like they can handle, pass and protect the ball.)

• Like 1

Actually, I think I'll just save everyone's time here. These types of threads will be pretty much like this:

We won't know if whether Dwight Howard isn't able to be 2010-2011 Dwight anymore unless we let him try as more of an offensive option! It's criminal that he isn't allowed to be much more of an offensive option!

Dwight Howard is not a good player anymore on the offensive end, it's not a good thing to try to feed him more because it doesn't help the offense.

The wing players don't hit anywhere near enough shots for the offense to be good, and it's not because of the quality of shots that they're getting, the quality of shots they're getting are fine, they've just been bricked.

Paul Millsap is your secondary playmaker and he does so as the centerfield playmaker in PNR and through dribble driving and post ups to collapse the defense.

And it's going to be back and forth.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

While I said I think I've settled on the guys I want in the draft, Kostja Mushidi would make sense if you want a good secondary playmaker in the backcourt. Paul Millsap is the secondary playmaker on the team though.

Two playmakers would help but the offense isn't built by it. It's built through aggressive dribble driving by the PG and passing by the big men.

Edit: DeAndre Bembry would also make sense to help as the secondary playmaker, but he's not going to play if his shot doesn't get fixed.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Diesel said:

Where's the pass into the post?

Where the pocket pass?

There's a floor generalship that is missing.  Assists are empty if it doesn't serve a purpose and Dennis has a lot of that empty assist going.  We start and we don't establish anything.. don't get any players going.  Don't force the defense to sag... 

UNTIL Dennis learns to do these things, we will always point at the next guy and say.. He doesn't know how to create for himself.   Ladies and gentlemen, there are few players that can create for themselves on this level.  Very few... but teams still win and players are still productive.

He needs another guard to take the pressure off of him. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Lurker said:

That's easily explained away by Dwight Howard over Al Horford (and I'm not clamoring for Al Horford), and as I said, much of the offense is actually about big men passing and about playing off of Kyle Korver's off ball movement when he was at his best.

Howard doesn't pass well enough, the off ball movement when he actually does have it in the post isn't good because in the wings' minds it's "What's the d**n point?", and thanks to that, even if Howard MAKES shots, it's throwing off the offense when he touches it.

First.. you say it's Millsap not being able to hit threes.  Then finds that in his best year, he averaged less than 1 made three per game.  Now... it's Howard doesn't pass well enough out of the post.  BUT Howard doesn't get more than 7 touches per game... if you don't get touches, how do you pass?

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

While I said I think I've settled on the guys I want in the draft, Kostja Mushidi would make sense if you want a good secondary playmaker in the backcourt. Paul Millsap is the secondary playmaker on the team though.

Two playmakers would help but the offense isn't built by it. It's built through aggressive dribble driving by the PG and passing by the big men.

Edit: DeAndre Bembry would also make sense to help as the secondary playmaker, but he's not going to play if his shot doesn't get fixed.

On a team full of "broken shots", there's no reason why Bembry shouldn't be playing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

Funny how you can't smell that the ball might not move as well because we replaced a top 3 passing big with an icanneitherdribblenorpasstheball big. Didn't you see how that opened up gaps EVERYWHERE? Man oh man

How can you pass if you don't get touches??

Al Horford was a 6'10 Wing player.  He got the same touches as Taureen and Baze.  We have this big man in the post and you want him to be a passing force but the ball rarely swings his way.  This dude is getting 16 ppg on putbacks.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Watchman said:

Check this out.

However, this year’s Hawks will struggle to win as many games as last season’s 48-win team and could slide in the standings. The Hawks have lost seven of their last 10 games. They are free falling, and frustrated. During a recent loss to the Golden State Warriors, Schröder was benched by head coach Mike Budenholzer for getting into an argument with Dwight Howard after an errant pass.

“I don’t understand Coach’s decision,” he told reporters after the game, via ESPN.com. “Maybe I’m too competitive, I don’t know. I’m just trying to be competitive, trying to win games. But I don’t get that one.”

A 23-year-old point guard starting for the first time publicly questioning his head coach isn’t a good look. It’s telling that Budenholzer sided with Howard, who made a dumb pass (not to mention is, in general, rarely sided with).

Schröder is as inconsistent off the court as he is on it. According to the same ESPN article, he reported late to the team after the All-Star break and was suspended for a game. Then he showed up late for the team bus for the next game against Orlando and came off the bench. You don’t want to overreact to incidents like this in the middle of the season, but you can’t ignore them, either.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

This is the typical Hawks fan.   

" I see that Dennis is just like Josh Smith, but I don't see how that can be a problem"...

Josh thought highly of himself and put himself before the team.. Danny Ferry's first act was to ship Josh out and to get team guys in here.  Character guys.  Guys who would buy in to a team philosophy.  So now... we're going back to the meFirst, Isojoe stuff. 

11 minutes ago, Diesel said:

First.. you say it's Millsap not being able to hit threes.  Then finds that in his best year, he averaged less than 1 made three per game.  Now... it's Howard doesn't pass well enough out of the post.  BUT Howard doesn't get more than 7 touches per game... if you don't get touches, how do you pass?

The numbers don't lie:

http://stats.nba.com/players/post-up/#!?Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season&sort=Time&dir=1

28% frequency isn't enough?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

To close this out I think Dwight can be a very valuable piece to this roster. But he has to stick back on the offensive end and show more effort on defense. He has the tools. He only has to overcome his ego and do what he's best at.

That's the misconception on Dwight.. that he's not putting fourth effort.

per36... this was Dwight best rebounding and defensive rebounding year EVER...  Yes, better than a 19 year old Dwight.  Better than a 23 year old Dwight.  Better than a 27 year old Dwight.  Best year ever..  But his critics say... he's not putting forth enough effort.

Let's be honest.  Dwight has had haters since he first put on the Hawks jersey and they are still here.