• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our next GM oughta be...

4 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Bruh.  You would hope but it's the Hawks.  All I'm learning from this search is the Hawks have no clue what their direction and vision is.  It's depressing and embarrassing.  

If I understand correctly, the incumbent scouts already have their draft board in place.  I'm a little slow but why would a GM take a job while possibly lukewarm on his inaugural 1st Round pick? Sounds like a head start on building a poor resume.  Snatch Ferry from whatever advisor role he has and call it a damn day.  Our 26th ranked fans who don't like it just gotta eat it.

First of all, they wouldn't draft a guy if he new Gm they JUST hired didn't like him. They are interviewing around, by most of the guys being interviewed do show there is a clear vision., and it's assistant gm's who built top 5 teams through the draft. All of these guys already have their draft board I'm sure, and will discuss with The scouts already here and Bud. Hopefully the GM will have the final say. All I've learned from the search is that they are going to look all around to make sure they find the right guy which is the opposite of embarrassing. It shows that the organization is patient and willing to wait for the guy they want rather than try to scoop someone up quick. I'll refer to the hiring of Dan Quinn by the Falcons in February after they had already interviewed all the top names as a great example of how important patience is when hiring top guys in he organization. Don't settle to appease the fan base. 

59 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Bruh.  You would hope but it's the Hawks.  All I'm learning from this search is the Hawks have no clue what their direction and vision is.  It's depressing and embarrassing.  

If I understand correctly, the incumbent scouts already have their draft board in place.  I'm a little slow but why would a GM take a job while possibly lukewarm on his inaugural 1st Round pick? Sounds like a head start on building a poor resume.  Snatch Ferry from whatever advisor role he has and call it a damn day.  Our 26th ranked fans who don't like it just gotta eat it.

If they were to hire a GM fast some would still complain, say they didn't research or interview enough people.  Again,  Ferry was hired 3 days before the draft.

Scouts have information on players, with possible recommendations - they don't make decisions. This info is passed along to the GM/President.

(I think I gave the name of the SAS West coast scout that brought Kawhi to RC Buford's attention.).

• Moderators
On 5/19/2017 at 11:01 AM, KB21 said:

That should tell you more about the pitfalls of trying to build with draft picks.  Marcus Smart was an excellent pick.  Kelly Olynyk was a great pick.  James Young was a crappy pick, as is Jaylen Brown at this point. 

They showed a lot of shrewdness in getting guys like Thomas and Crowder in trades, signing Amir Johnson and Al Horford.....etc. 

The biggest draw to a Mike Zarren is the fact that he was part of a front office that retooled without bottoming out.

Smart was the #6 pick. I'd take at least a dozen guys from that draft over him.

Olynyk was a lottery pick taken above Giannis, Dennis, and Dieng among others.

Neither was a great pick.  Neither was a total bust but both are useful role players and that is it.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't believe you...lol...name the dozen...:-|

10 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I don't believe you...lol...name the dozen...:-|

Wiggins, Embiid, Jabari, Jokic, Lavine, Saric, Randle, Payton, Nurkic, Harris, Hood, Clarkson. All but 3 were still on the board when he was taken.

Edited by CP61
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Olynyk was a lottery pick taken above Giannis, Dennis, and Dieng among others.

Neither was a great pick.  Neither was a total bust but both are useful role players and that is it.

I disagree.  Marcus Smart has 6th highest win share total, 7th highest BPM, and 2nd highest VORP in his draft class.  And that's with him playing a bench role as opposed to a starter's role.  Last night, Marcus was a big reason the Celtics won that game.  He's a starter in the NBA, and someone will give him that opportunity soon.  

Comparatively, Kelly Olynyk has the 9th highest win shares, 9th highest BPM, and 9th highest VORP of his draft class.  

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

Wiggins, Embiid, Jabari, Jokic, Lavine, Saric, Randle, Payton, Nurkic, Harris, Hood, Clarkson. All but 3 were still on the board when he was taken.

Of those you mentioned, only Jokic and Hood are actually better at this point.

Wiggins is fools gold.  He scores, so it fools fans into thinking he is good, but he is not efficient and doesn't do anything else remotely well on the floor.  He's 24th in BPM among his draft class.

Embiid was my #1 prospect in that draft, but his injury history has kept him from realizing anything.  The same goes for Jabari Parker.  He has had injuries, but even he wasn't what many expected him to be prior to his injuries.  

Nikola Jokic is the best player from that draft class right now.

4 hours ago, CP61 said:

Randle no

payton no

harris no

hood no

nurkic no

clarkson maybe tied with Smart..

You got 6 bro!

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If they were to hire a GM fast some would still complain, say they didn't research or interview enough people.  Again,  Ferry was hired 3 days before the draft.

Scouts have information on players, with possible recommendations - they don't make decisions. This info is passed along to the GM/President.

(I think I gave the name of the SAS West coast scout that brought Kawhi to RC Buford's attention.).

I figure anyone employed already as an Asst GM is well-acquainted with most of the projected 1st round options... that person will bring an opinion based on what he and his scouts have already discussed, in all likelihood, which in turn, will get discussed with our guys.

I'd be more concerned if it's someone who doesn't bring explicit executive experience.

2 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Randle no

payton no

harris no

hood no

nurkic no

clarkson maybe tied with Smart..

You got 6 bro!

I am am a self proclaimed Marcus Smart hater, but I really would rather have every player I listed. I'm just not a fan of his game.

2 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I am am a self proclaimed Marcus Smart hater, but I really would rather have every player I listed. I'm just not a fan of his game.

Ya I hate him too because he wears that uniform but I love this hustle, to me, he's just a hard nose basketball player whom I'd like on my team.

6 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Ya I hate him too because he wears that uniform but I love this hustle, to me, he's just a hard nose basketball player whom I'd like on my team.

Nice to have a guy that can handle the ball and is not a midget, he's the opposite of one. As you said, hustle is the word and he would be a good part for our ten man rotation. But then again I have been hoping that role would/will be filled by Bembry. Bud has been slow to come around to that though.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Nice to have a guy that can handle the ball and is not a midget, he's the opposite of one. As you said, hustle is the word and he would be a good part for our ten man rotation. But then again I have been hoping that role would/will be filled by Bembry. Bud has been slow to come around to that though.

I like that comparison, and I think it will be. And I really like, now that you bring it up, that we got the value we did, our guy coming at the end of the 1st round. And, I think Bembry's quicker than Smart, which makes him a better option defending PGs.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I dislike me-first point guards that can't shoot and aren't great passers so Marcus Smart doesn't get an adorsement from me.

12 hours ago, KB21 said:

I disagree.  Marcus Smart has 6th highest win share total,

Purely based on minutes.  He is not efficient.  He is 18th in the class in WS/48.  It is only because he has played nearly 6000 minutes that he looks good in win shares.]

Here are some notable numbers:

FG% 35.8% - 42nd of 52 (who have played in the NBA) in his draft class

3pt% 29.8% - 29th of 52 in his draft class even though he is a guard

If you can't fix that shot, he will never be more than the role player he is today.

• Like 3

Damn near everyone on that team outside of Johnson and Al overachieve because of Stevens.  Smart's hustle and "nose" is commendable but I'd rather give his spot to someone with a whole lot more upside.  With good coaching from the start and no ACL tear in his first regular season game Randle is a fringe AS off toughness and OR alone.  I like Clarkson, don't know enough about Nurkic and Harris.  Hood and Payton meh. 

I respect y'all's encouragement over the GM search.  Not accepting it tho.  I remember the Falcons doing their due diligence (Rex Ryan, my God) but Quinn was always the lead, and best candidate they seemed to zero in on.  Chauncey Billups, folk?  

Bud should already have the vision for this team written in cement but clearly it was blurred by outside forces as soon as Dwight grabbed a pen.  You can call it casting a wide net, I call it crude indecisiveness and a franchise in limbo.  Not one to toot but I'm usually right about these type of things.  Cleveland, Boston, Washington, and Milwaukee will have more than a leg up on us next season.  If we get out the first round I'm posting a video of me eating real live crow.  

Edited by benhillboy

Julius Randle isn't a good starter, much less a fringe all star.  He's an undersized four that can't rebound, shoot, or defend.  That much ballyhooed freshman class in 2014 isn't a very good class 3 years after the fact.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KB21 said:

That much ballyhooed freshman class in 2014 isn't a very good class 3 years after the fact.  

This I agree with.  Are any of them the 'best' player on their respective teams? Any Allstars?

Only Embiid I can think is but such a small sample size, and he's always injured.

1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This I agree with.  Are any of them the 'best' player on their respective teams? Any Allstars?

Only Embiid I can think is but such a small sample size, and he's always injured.

Not a single one of them is the best player, or even second best player on their teams.  Remember, that was the draft many Hawks fans wanted to tank to pick high in.