• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our next GM oughta be...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2017 at 4:40 PM, benhillboy said:

I know he has no experience but I can see a guy like Kelenna Azibuike making a huge leap from Warriors analyst to front office.  That dude just looks like he bout business.

He was a pretty decent baller too!!

On 5/4/2017 at 4:00 PM, Spud2Nique said:

I like this dude a lot. Plus, stealing him from the Celtics would be awesome!

Mike Zarren, Celtics

Danny Ainge's analytic guru has become more well known thanks to The Wheel, a lottery reform Zach Lowe has written about extensively. He was an analytics pioneer and remains someone who is close to the metrics community, which works in his favor. He also works the cap and has learned from one of the league's most respected personnel bosses in Ainge.

But the jury is out on analytic-gurus-as-GMs: the Rockets under Daryl Morey have not fulfilled their promise, and judgment will wait on Sam Hinkie's Sixers for at least another couple of seasons. Will a third analytics GM get hired with that record? I'm skeptical, though doubting Zarren is typically a bad move.

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

LOOK at the Celtics draft picks!!! Can you really tell me they are amazing??  Ok so they were smart enough to get IT and Horford although not bad has dropped their rebound percentages significantly. They've been stacked with draft picks they don't know what to do with. Kelly O., Jaylen B., and we can keep going but the fact that Avery Bradley/Gerald Green(lol) might be their best draft picks ever gives this A BIG PASS for me. Isaia Cordinier our 44th draft pick from last year might turn out to be a better pick than all of the Celtics lol. Only known GM I see that's competent so far is the guy coming from OKC (Weaver). Else I'd risk it on a newbie with a great vision for now and the future that fits with the Hawks organization.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, sillent said:

LOOK at the Celtics draft picks!!! Can you really tell me they are amazing??  Ok so they were smart enough to get IT and Horford although not bad has dropped their rebound percentages significantly. They've been stacked with draft picks they don't know what to do with. Kelly O., Jaylen B., and we can keep going but the fact that Avery Bradley/Gerald Green(lol) might be their best draft picks ever gives this A BIG PASS for me. Isaia Cordinier our 44th draft pick from last year might turn out to be a better pick than all of the Celtics lol. Only known GM I see that's competent so far is the guy coming from OKC (Weaver). Else I'd risk it on a newbie with a great vision for now and the future that fits with the Hawks organization.

Cosign. Ainge hasn't drafted well at all. I don't know how anybody can look at his drafts and be impressed. He's just fortunate to have the rare opportunity of landing a bunch of lottery picks without having to rebuild. I don't know if I like the idea of someone from that organization leading this franchise.

Weaver is definitely one of the only guys that intrigues me in the running for the job. He's seen first hand what good drafting and scouting can do to an organization.  We need somebody that places a strong emphasis in the draft because free agency is not saving this team. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sillent said:

That should tell you more about the pitfalls of trying to build with draft picks.  Marcus Smart was an excellent pick.  Kelly Olynyk was a great pick.  James Young was a crappy pick, as is Jaylen Brown at this point. 

They showed a lot of shrewdness in getting guys like Thomas and Crowder in trades, signing Amir Johnson and Al Horford.....etc. 

The biggest draw to a Mike Zarren is the fact that he was part of a front office that retooled without bottoming out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

That should tell you more about the pitfalls of trying to build with draft picks.  Marcus Smart was an excellent pick.  Kelly Olynyk was a great pick.  James Young was a crappy pick, as is Jaylen Brown at this point. 

They showed a lot of shrewdness in getting guys like Thomas and Crowder in trades, signing Amir Johnson and Al Horford.....etc. 

The biggest draw to a Mike Zarren is the fact that he was part of a front office that retooled without bottoming out.

Think it is a bit too early to call Jaylen Brown a crappy pick. Not many players that I would put ahead of him from that 2016 draft and would likely still have him at or near #3.

Celtics definitely bottomed out from a front office point of view and did not retool. They just got lucky that the Nets had a stupid owner that was trying to win no matter what without thinking about the future. They were the 4th worst team in the league following that trade. It looks more like a retool now because no one could have truly predicted (even their front office) how good Brad Stevens and Isaiah Thomas would be.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

Think it is a bit too early to call Jaylen Brown a crappy pick.

Kelly Olynyk, the great draft pick, just called to say he agrees with this statement.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bankingitbig said:

Think it is a bit too early to call Jaylen Brown a crappy pick. Not many players that I would put ahead of him from that 2016 draft and would likely still have him at or near #3.

Celtics definitely bottomed out from a front office point of view and did not retool. They just got lucky that the Nets had a stupid owner that was trying to win no matter what without thinking about the future. They were the 4th worst team in the league following that trade. It looks more like a retool now because no one could have truly predicted (even their front office) how good Brad Stevens and Isaiah Thomas would be.

They retooled through shrewd trades and experienced acquisitions.  The draft picks they have gotten from the Nets trade have not netted them much.  They didn't tank.  I think it is clear that they had a plan.  

There is saying little things from at least one player or two in an organization is needed....

And then there is saying that little things from every single player that you draft or is in the organization is necessary.

Thank you, KB21 for managing to make NBASupes look much more reasonable.

At the end of the day, I liked what I saw from Taurean Prince and am happy to have him, but he did not have the better season over Jaylen Brown in any way. Even if you go from mid March, when he seemingly "figured it out" (and if you translate from his Baylor numbers in his last year, it's a translation that is about right), his numbers were okay not great.

What "little thing" did he do that puts him over Brown on the season? Look like a fool in off the ball defense until shortly before the break when he played? Turn the ball over in the half court because he barreled inside and didn't have anywhere else to comfortably go?

I'm sold, but he's still going to have to back it up. Assuming Millsap is in Atlanta he's going to make some dramatic improvements next year. If not, I'm not so sure. When he confined his work to playing off of big man passing (mostly Millsap) and transition play, he was very good.

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

They retooled through shrewd trades and experienced acquisitions.  The draft picks they have gotten from the Nets trade have not netted them much.  They didn't tank.  I think it is clear that they had a plan.  

Trading your three top starters and your 6th man (Pierce, Garnett and Terry) for largely draft picks has rebuild written all over it to me. The Jae Crowder trade was to get a first round pick and dump Rondo, which is mostly rebuilding in nature. Then later trading Jeff Green, who was averaging the most minutes at the time when they were in the playoff race, to get another 1st round pick. Like I said, their front office was in full rebuild mode going mostly for draft picks. You could even argue hiring the young, no NBA experience Brad Stevens was a rebuilding move. They made a great decision in signing IT. No one expected Stevens and IT to be as good as they have been, which allowed them to go from the 4th worst team in the NBA to barely making the playoffs the next year. Obviously the team as a whole didn't tank, but the front office definitely rebuilt.

For perspective, people would have argued that the Hawks were rebuilding if they would have traded Millsap.

• Premium Member

Woj reporting that we asked but were denied permission to talk with the Portland GM. Commented, "...shows a possible willingness to spend significant money for elite executives."

I like it.

• Like 1

First, we need a consolidated thread for GM news but what do I know ...

Second, apparently POR denied our request to interview Neil Olshay.  That would've been a superb hire.

Per Woj twitter

1 minute ago, kg01 said:

That would've been a superb hire.

Why? He would've been a great hire for CJ McCollum fans like myself...you call CJ a chuckster...

But yes the guy was responsible for both Lillard and CJ. I'm not sure I'd say he'd be superb though.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

First, we need a consolidated thread for GM news but what do I know ...

Second, apparently POR denied our request to interview Neil Olshay.  That would've been a superb hire.

Per Woj twitter

Please no. Please. Those consolidated things make it so you have to read the entire thread in order to keep up. Not a fan. Just let the citizens of the community police themselves... maybe a small fine here and there for those who offend (?).

1 minute ago, sturt said:

maybe a small fine here and there for those who offend (?).

Maybe forcing them to only read @kg01 posts for a week? Thatd actually be too harsh...

On 5/19/2017 at 0:50 PM, Bankingitbig said:

I called Brad Stevens as the next great coach before he was even hired. No way could anyone Be expected to put together so many great seasons with their talent level and not be a great coach. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2017 at 4:00 PM, Spud2Nique said:

I like this dude a lot. Plus, stealing him from the Celtics would be awesome!

Mike Zarren, Celtics

Danny Ainge's analytic guru has become more well known thanks to The Wheel, a lottery reform Zach Lowe has written about extensively. He was an analytics pioneer and remains someone who is close to the metrics community, which works in his favor. He also works the cap and has learned from one of the league's most respected personnel bosses in Ainge.

But the jury is out on analytic-gurus-as-GMs: the Rockets under Daryl Morey have not fulfilled their promise, and judgment will wait on Sam Hinkie's Sixers for at least another couple of seasons. Will a third analytics GM get hired with that record? I'm skeptical, though doubting Zarren is typically a bad move.

IMG_9784.JPG

IMG_9785.JPG

IMG_9786.JPG

I like it! If he could get assets like Ainge that would be great.

On 5/19/2017 at 6:11 PM, sturt said:

Was just thinking... our next GM oughta beeeeeeeeeee.....

...named no later than this time next week.

Dontchathink?

Bruh.  You would hope but it's the Hawks.  All I'm learning from this search is the Hawks have no clue what their direction and vision is.  It's depressing and embarrassing.  

If I understand correctly, the incumbent scouts already have their draft board in place.  I'm a little slow but why would a GM take a job while possibly lukewarm on his inaugural 1st Round pick? Sounds like a head start on building a poor resume.  Snatch Ferry from whatever advisor role he has and call it a damn day.  Our 26th ranked fans who don't like it just gotta eat it.