• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nooooooooooooo! No no God NO!

HawkItus

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So not resigning Millsap is tanking in your mind?

You never want to lose two guys like Al and Paul in consecutive offseasons for nothing, so I hate that it has to happen like this. But yeah the team would suck without him in the meantime. In my mind that's better than paying him, watching him fall off, and being stuck with old man Paul.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DBac said:

You never want to lose two guys like Al and Paul in consecutive offseasons for nothing, so I hate that it has to happen like this. But yeah the team would suck without him in the meantime. In my mind that's better than paying him, watching him fall off, and being stuck with old man Paul.

You didn't answer the question...Is that tanking in your mind or were you just rambling before when you mentioned tanking?

5 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

You didn't answer the question...Is that tanking in your mind or were you just rambling before when you mentioned tanking?

In the Hawks case? Sure it would. Like I keep saying, the Hawks don't have many guys that they can trade and get back premium picks / young players. But letting Millsap find a new team would make them bad enough to land in the top 10 and save space. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DBac said:

In the Hawks case? Sure it would. Like I keep saying, the Hawks don't have many guys that they can trade and get back premium picks / young players. But letting Millsap find a new team would make them bad enough to land in the top 10 and save space. 

So a top 10 pick not top 3 in your mind would transform the franchise?

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So a top 10 pick not top 3 in your mind would transform the franchise?

What do you mean transform? I don't think there are many transformative (Lebron level) prospects to come out. But yes in a draft like next year's, if you get a top 10 pick you're in a position to grab a really nice player. Especially in that 6-8 range as far as the Hawks go. Miles Bridges has all the tools to be a playmaking 4, he'd be a really fun piece. 

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, DBac said:

What do you mean transform? I don't think there are many transformative (Lebron level) prospects to come out. But yes in a draft like next year's, if you get a top 10 pick you're in a position to grab a really nice player. Especially in that 6-8 range as far as the Hawks go. Miles Bridges has all the tools to be a playmaking 4, he'd be a really fun piece. 

You suggested tanking to become a contender...Do you still stand by that?

Edited by Peoriabird

54 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

So not resigning Millsap is tanking in your mind?

It is tanking. It's not technically tanking but it's clearly full blown rebuilding. We would have no A/B player on this squad without Sap. We become worse than the Nets. 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, DBac said:

Yes. 

That appears to be the flaw in your thinking because you probably cannot come up with a single example where a none top 3 pick has transformed a team from a none contender into a contender.

• Premium Member
Just now, NBASupes said:

It is tanking. It's not technically tanking but it's clearly full blown rebuilding. We would have no A/B player on this squad without Sap. We become worse than the Nets. 

Too late...DBAC double and triple down on his logic...Don't save him yet.

Just now, Peoriabird said:

That appears to be the flaw in your thinking because you probably cannot come up with a single example where a none top 3 pick has transformed a team from a none contender into a contender.

Yeah I can. Steph Curry. He's playing right now lol. Picked 7th. 

• Premium Member
Just now, DBac said:

Yeah I can. Steph Curry. He's playing right now lol. Picked 7th. 

1 out of how many players and plus they wouldn't be contenders with just Curry...Green and Thompson are a big part of their success and now Durant.

1 out of how many players and plus they wouldn't be contenders with just Curry...Green and Thompson are a big part of their success and now Durant.

Curry is a 2x MVP and 1x unanimous MVP. Having Thompson and Draymond helps, but he's the piece that makes that team go. They won without Durant. Thompson was 11th pick himself. 

I gave you what you asked for. If you consider San Antonio a contender, then Kawhi is another one. 

Of course you want to be higher and give yourself better odds of landing a stud, that's the point of tanking. I said top 10 because it's a pretty safe bet. This team got blown out by the Nets at home without Millsap, there's no telling how bad they would be over a full season. I doubt they'd be 10-72 6ers bad, but they'd be pretty bad man. 

Unless you manage to pull something significant, if you don't resign Millsap you're going to miss the playoffs if you keep basically the same team. I don't know if its Nets bad, that's overreacting (or I may be underrating the Nets), but it's bad, 25-30 win bad.

• Premium Member
Just now, DBac said:

Curry is a 2x MVP and 1x unanimous MVP. Having Thompson and Draymond helps, but he's the piece that makes that team go. They won without Durant. Thompson was 11th pick himself. 

I gave you what you asked for. If you consider San Antonio a contender, then Kawhi is another one. 

Of course you want to be higher and give yourself better odds of landing a stud, that's the point of tanking. I said top 10 because it's a pretty safe bet. This team got blown out by the Nets at home without Millsap, there's no telling how bad they would be over a full season. I doubt they'd be 10-72 6ers bad, but they'd be pretty bad man. 

1st of all I think that the Warriors lost more games Curry's 1st year than they did year before he came.

They didn't become contenders until the other guys came.  secondly,  When was San Antoinio not a contender over the last 15 years??? Plus Kawhi was obtained without tanking. 

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Unless you manage to pull something significant, if you don't resign Millsap you're going to miss the playoffs if you keep basically the same team. I don't know if its Nets bad, that's overreacting (or I may be underrating the Nets), but it's bad, 25-30 win bad.

So do agree with DBAC that not resigning Millsap is equivalent to tanking?

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

So do agree with DBAC that not resigning Millsap is equivalent to tanking?

Not really. In the hypothetical game that Millsap is gone from the team and not much else is changed, it's a bad team but not putrid.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Not really. In the hypothetical game that Millsap is gone from the team and not much else is changed, it's a bad team but not putrid.

So it you were really tanking, what would you do?  Sell Dennis, Not resign THjr along with not resigning Millsap?  More?

1st of all I think that the Warriors lost more games Curry's 1st year than they did year before he came.

They didn't become contenders until the other guys came.  secondly,  When was San Antoinio not a contender over the last 15 years??? Plus Kawhi was obtained without tanking. 

They became contenders when Curry hit his prime. Teambuilding is important (the Warriors are built around his strengths perfectly... thats why I want the Hawks to space the floor out for Dennis), but he's a top 3 player in the NBA by all accounts. 

The Spurs roster right now is only in the mix because of Kawhi. 

And I don't expect any draft pick to come in day 1 and turn the team around. The idea is to build towards something long term. Warriors fans will trade those dog days with Steph for these 5+ years of contending any time.