• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nooooooooooooo! No no God NO!

HawkItus

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

Honestly while I go back and forth on it, I'm not really for a full on tank. But not full on tanking puts you in a tricky situation...you need to take more risks instead of taking the safe college guy (and you still really should trade at least one of your bad contracts).

Like if Hamidou Diallo stays in the draft, like what Milwaukee did with Maker, you risk your first on him and bring him along slowly. And if he doesn't, you risk that Hartenstein is able to reach the potential he has.

Maybe try what Miami did and don't bite the tax bill with Millsap and instead use the money on a bunch of under the radar talent. If it doesn't work, you have a top pick, and if it does work to the extent it did with Miami, you have a fun team that plays hard.

This is what I want the Hawks to do. Bet on your system and your development. Miami bet on Whiteside. He was a guy that was bad in summer league for the Raptors. Got cut by the Grizzles in the preseason and was in the D-League, now he's a NBA star for the Heat. Waiters, they won on and he's playing near his potential. Tyler Johnson, Johnson from the Raps and numerous others. But I feel we just don't get the most of out talented players or we get these four year guys who just aren't NBA players like Ryan Kelly, Lamar Patterson, Malcolm Danlaney, etc. I would like some Carroll's. Some Korver's but even Korver struggled without Al. Maybe just maybe, we need a playmaker or that teammate who can do it all to a degree. But those almost never made it out of the top 3-5 in a NBA draft unless it's rare like Giannis who Ferry fudged up. 

7 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Honestly while I go back and forth on it, I'm not really for a full on tank. But not full on tanking puts you in a tricky situation...you need to take more risks instead of taking the safe college guy (and you still really should trade at least one of your bad contracts).

Like if Hamidou Diallo stays in the draft, like what Milwaukee did with Maker, you risk your first on him and bring him along slowly. And if he doesn't, you risk that Hartenstein is able to reach the potential he has.

Maybe try what Miami did and don't bite the tax bill with Millsap and instead use the money on a bunch of under the radar talent. If it doesn't work, you have a top pick, and if it does work to the extent it did with Miami, you have a fun team that plays hard.

Going full Philly would have the arena's attendance as the 6th man and that's it haha. Given that the ownership has expressed how they are fine with just being competitive , I hope we at least take risks in the draft like you said.

edit: And it wouldn't recover like Philly's did. re: attendance.

Edited by DBac

4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I personally do not want a retread like Dumars or Griffin. Get a young, bright mind. A basketball Theo Epstein.

There is no such thing as a Basketball Theo Epstein. All of them are very talented in this sport and their is no perfect process in a league where it's such a star driven league. Jerry West and Pat Riley is probably the closest. All of them GM'ed for marquee franchises and when West didn't, he had less success than we had. The best I've seen from a talent and trade standpoint is Hinkie but he was terrible at roster reading and worse at managing a locker room from the front office. 

Baseball is such a different sport. They develop players to be consistent from the minors to the pros. They hedge on the pro team for the minors and the minors for the pros. In Basketball, no one will trade you Devin Booker for Trevor Booker. In Baseball, pros for minor league players, silly shit like that happens. No one will trade you Jahlil Okafor for Ersan or Kris Dunn for Darren Collison. Value is seen vastly different in the sports as well as what is and isn't an asset. 

Edited by NBASupes

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

There is no such thing as a Basketball Theo Epstein. All of them are very talented in this sport and their is no perfect process in a league where it's such a star driven league. Jerry West and Pat Riley is probably the closest. All of them GM'ed for marquee franchises and when West didn't, he had less success than we had. The best I've seen from a talent and trade standpoint is Hinkie but he was terrible at roster reading and worse at managing a locker room from the front office. 

Baseball is such a different sport. They develop players to be consistent from the minors to the pros. They hedge on the pro team for the minors and the minors for the pros. In Basketball, no one will trade you Trevor Booker for Devin Booker. In Baseball, pros for minor league players, silly shit like that happens. 

Well who do you want the Hawks to hire?

6 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Well who do you want the Hawks to hire?

I honestly don't care. But I don't mind Griffin or Dumars. Both have great skills at areas of need. roster reading and trading. Griffin is far more successful of recent than Dumars but Dumars did it without an A+ level player in LeBron like Griffin did. These are things we are missing since Ferry left. Our analytics team is better now than with Ferry. As well as our development and what we can do with our training staff. But if you can't read a roster, you will pay a Bazemore or Josh Smith and pass on a Jae Crowder or Paul Millsap. You will sign Dwight Howard instead of trading for a Nurkic. We need those skills. I think Atlanta needs that are critical. 

I personally think Ressler wants to keep Sap and maintain the house and trade when it is not working which makes sense but Sap is going to have much better options and will likely leave. 

9 hours ago, Lurker said:

If you don't include Millsap, this is a bad team, maybe not as putrid as Brooklyn, but a bad team that has two awful contracts and is pretty stuck.

Except for already having 10 draft picks in the next 3 years to work with...except for that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

Except for already having 10 draft picks in the next 3 years to work with...except for that.

Sorry, but half of those picks are going to be useless. Outside of the top 10 to top half of the second round, second round picks don't really matter with the way the Hawks go.

17 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Tanking is not in the DNA of Bud. As long as he's the coach, I don't think we are tanking.

Yeah, since he always talks that next man up stuff just can't imagine him having that philosophy to tank. Plus believe he feels he is one biscuit away from having the next young guy closing in on highly developed, all the time.

I fussed about joe dumars for many of the same reasons others have but now taking time to look over his whole front office career and reminding my self of some the success he's had I say bring him on board and let's see what he can do.

my stance has changed because dumars actually fits bud more than I thought...they have some close similarities and it's not like dumars hasn't drafted good talent or had a big hand in building a championship team (2004 Pistons). 

He definitely has an eye for talent though in his last recent years he made decisions that got him fired but I say hey no one is perfect and if a man can admit his f*** up's and can look and see what he should have done instead, we as fans shouldn't hold his feet to the fire.

so believe it or not after being outraged I actually think it's smart to hire joe dumars as the next GM. You can't tarnish his whole GM career with the bad decisions he made towards the end.

Dumars’ tenure as Pistons president also included six straight trips to the Eastern Conference finals and one other trip to the NBA Finals.
  • Like 1