• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nooooooooooooo! No no God NO!

HawkItus

4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Quick, I dropped my ice cream....link it Dwight.

Not sure what you're talking about but it rained pretty hard today.  Thas totally on Dwight IIUC.

Stock mkt took a dip last week too.  All Dwight.

#DeathTaxesDwight

2 hours ago, MaceCase said:

Tayshaun Prince, Arron Afflalo, Kris Middleton, Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight, Rodney Stuckey, KCP, Memhet Okur, Amir Johnson all stand out as solid starters/fringe all star level.  He has a better eye for mid to late round(s) value, has shat the bed more with his higher lotto picks. 

I was on the Greg Monroe train a few years ago, but he sort of turned out to be a bust.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Joe is not a bad GM but he definitely is one of those refuse to tank GMs

Listen to the podcast I posted, he said his biggest mistake with the Pistons after the championship teams was that he didn't tank.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Watchman said:

I have a bad feeling about this. Maybe Ressler will hire Dumars so he can get rid of  Bud altogether.  Crappy GM makes for a bad record. Coach gets fired and they bring in Bob Weiss. 

Guessing you posted a nightmare you had, definitely sounds like a nightmare for us. Bob Weiss, ugh.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

Listen to the podcast I posted, he said his biggest mistake with the Pistons after the championship teams was that he didn't tank.  

I didn't hear the podcast, but from his record, his refusing to tank killed the squad. But his job he did building the bad boy 2.0 was elite GMing. His drafting was excellent in weak drafts. His passing on Cousins was a good move seeing how immature he was out of UK.

Honestly, in free agency, the Hawks even if Millsap leaves do not have a lot of money. They need to get sound guys who fit the system but can only play a certain role. Then in the draft, find gems and hit on a top 3 pick. Get Porter, Ayton or Doncic. In 2018, get Zion, Langford or Bagley. Keep Dennis, Tim and the rookies and build from there.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sothron said:

I don't want any part of Joe Dumars or Griffin. Seriously, bring back Ferry.

Ferry is bad at drafting and relationships. Both hurt us a lot when he was here. He was excellent at trades and roster reading. That cannot be understated but without Horford, this team lacks a premium player that's worth building around. 

Dennis is a player we hope becomes on Kemba Walker level and maybe higher. Sap is a legit top 25 player and he is an elite #2 option but he need a #1 to make him better. No one else is really worth mentioning at this stage. Not Prince, talented but still very young, Bembry can't shoot and Dwight is washed and Bazemore is trash without Al. 

It's hard to run this system now. We should look to drafting a movement big in the draft or two way guards/forwards who is smart like Prince. 

I do not mind Dumars but his lack of tanking and trying to build around Charlie V and Stuckey was so horrible. 

I honestly do not mind keeping Dwight or Bazemore, they just help us lose. They suck at winning.

These early reports sound more like AGENT driven "leaks" than HAWKS driven ones.

Dumars already has an "in" with Woj, and Griffin will do everything he can to drive up his price. Notice that Orlando, and several other teams are mentioned in the Griffin "sweepstakes".

For me, of those two, Dumars is a "better" GM than Griffin, but that is like choosing between crap choice A v. B. Both STINK:suicide:

Go get Ainge's top Lieutenant or raid GS. I would not get an ex-coach as he and Bud would see things too short sighted. . What we need is a guy that thinks 3 years down the road with a solid, but patient talent acquisition plan. That plan needs to be built with Bud's direct involvement and opinions. The GM, however, must be able to act independent of Bud and make moves that Bud will have to live with (e.g., should have traded Sap in the offseason or at least in December).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

These early reports sound more like AGENT driven "leaks" than HAWKS driven ones.

Dumars already has an "in" with Woj, and Griffin will do everything he can to drive up his price. Notice that Orlando, and several other teams are mentioned in the Griffin "sweepstakes".

For me, of those two, Dumars is a "better" GM than Griffin, but that is like choosing between crap choice A v. B. Both STINK:suicide:

Go get Ainge's top Lieutenant or raid GS. I would not get an ex-coach as he and Bud would see things too short sighted. . What we need is a guy that thinks 3 years down the road with a solid, but patient talent acquisition plan. That plan needs to be built with Bud's direct involvement and opinions. The GM, however, must be able to act independent of Bud and make moves that Bud will have to live with (e.g., should have traded Sap in the offseason or at least in December).

Jerry West? He was average in Memphis. 

2 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Jerry West? He was average in Memphis. 

Good grief, might as well try to resurrect Red Auerbach!

We need a younger guy in the FO who can deal with the analytics, but trust his scouts and "eye test" measures. I really like the Falcons Competiveness and Toughness scales they use based on grading film work. We need to draft guys with high CT scores along with excellent basketball skills.

Just now, frosgrim said:

Good grief, might as well try to resurrect Red Auerbach!

We need a younger guy in the FO who can deal with the analytics, but trust his scouts and "eye test" measures. I really like the Falcons Competiveness and Toughness scales they use based on grading film work. We need to draft guys with high CT scores along with excellent basketball skills.

We got that in Wes. The issue with Wes is his lack of roster reading. They tried to judge players as individual instead of how they would fit in our team structure and system. I think you must believe Wes is dumb, he's far from it. He just lack a critical skill GM's have to have the ability to read a roster. 

19 hours ago, JTB said:

@MaceCase

youre going to have to do some serious convincing ! We sign dumars there's no question but to question ressler as a owner. Dumars the player great, dumars the GM absolutely horrible and one of the worst 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2022262.amp.html

we sign Griffin than ressler better be ready to spend money ...big time money cause Griffin only knows how to buy championships.

One of the worst?

Detroit won 57% of their games with him as their GM.  He built a team that won the NBA championship and played in 6 consecutive eastern conference finals that didn't have an uber star player.  He made some mistakes at the end such as trading for Allen Iverson and having so much coaching turnover, but he is a smart guy that is capable of learning from his mistakes.  He by far has the best resume of any of the possible GM replacements, considering that it is unlikely that Danny Ferry would come back.

Now David Griffin would be a bad move, IMO, because his lone claim to fame is that he was GM when LeBron James decided to go back to Cleveland.

vor 3 Stunden, NBASupes sagte:

Honestly, in free agency, the Hawks even if Millsap leaves do not have a lot of money. They need to get sound guys who fit the system but can only play a certain role. Then in the draft, find gems and hit on a top 3 pick. Get Porter, Ayton or Doncic. In 2018, get Zion, Langford or Bagley. Keep Dennis, Tim and the rookies and build from there.

The Hawks will not get a Top3 pick imo because I can't see us tanking. If Millsap leaves, Dwight is traded to an other team, replaced by a rookie center and we resign Ilyasova/Sefo/Moose the Hawks would likely finish in the 10-12 range, getting a 7-11 pick. We could draft Carter or Bonga.

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Joe is not a bad GM but he definitely is one of those refuse to tank GMs

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2013/12/13/top-executives

Joe Dumars was rated as the 9th best executive in all sports according to Sports Illustrated for the 2000s.  He was the #2 basketball executive on the list. 

It is a good thing that he is unlikely to tank, because tanking is a horrific strategy that doesn't work.  It only ensures that teams will draft in the lottery for several years trying to dig themselves out of the hole the put themselves in.

I have to LOL at those that believe tanking is a sound strategy.  That belief just goes completely against all the data that is available that proves it is a bad idea.  It's kind of like people who smoke tobacco.  It is proven the cancer risk is great, but the attitude is "it won't happen to me."

Bottom line is this.  If you tank, you will lose for several years before you get back to the level the Hawks are currently at.  It is really the worst possible strategy a team can take.

• Like 2