• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Interested In Chauncey Billups, Brent Barry For GM Job

JTB

Hiring Chauncey Billups could turn out okay, but I don't like it. I'm not a fan of guys who have never worked in a front office going straight to GM. It feels like you are handing a pilots license to a great race car driver. He might be good at playing, but roster building is a lot different. Not that he will be bad, I just don't know. I'm sure all the interviewees are telling them their plan for the franchise, so I guess he wouldn't be hired if they didn't think he knew what he was doing.

4 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Hiring Chauncey Billups could turn out okay, but I don't like it. I'm not a fan of guys who have never worked in a front office going straight to GM. It feels like you are handing a pilots license to a great race car driver. He might be good at playing, but roster building is a lot different. Not that he will be bad, I just don't know. I'm sure all the interviewees are telling them their plan for the franchise, so I guess he wouldn't be hired if they didn't think he knew what he was doing.

I can understand what you are saying but you have to remember that Steve Kerr, John Paxton, Larry Bird and even Jerry West started out as GM without any front office experience.  Sometimes it works and other times doesn't it.  Chauncey has a great IQ and he should deserve the chance for that position.

I like Zarren, Barry and Billups most in that order. Oh, Travis Schenk the Warriors guy too! 

Does anyone know if weve we've already interviewed Brent Barry?

8 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

I can understand what you are saying but you have to remember that Steve Kerr, John Paxton, Larry Bird and even Jerry West started out as GM without any front office experience.  Sometimes it works and other times doesn't it.  Chauncey has a great IQ and he should deserve the chance for that position.

Thise are exceptions.  I don't want us chasing exceptions.

Plus, the only successful one of that bunch is West so we'd basically be chasing the exception of exceptions.  

9 minutes ago, NekiEcko said:

Yeah I know it can work. I guess the real reason I'm hesitant is I can't look at where they have been an assistant gm and point to how good that team was built. So it's the fans that are clueless about what these candidates will do, not the organization. I'd still rather have the guys from the Warriors, Rockets, Thunder, and Celtics before these former players.

Interesting take by Billups from last year.  He states he would take Ben Ingram over Ben Simmons if he were picking because Ingram is a guy who you have to guard.  He also mentions his thoughts that neither were generational talents and not worth tanking to get.

• Like 4

• Premium Member

I suppose due diligence suggests that if there are a couple of analysts whose thinking is very public, and you find that more often than not they're proven right in their analysis, it at least makes sense to pursue an interview. This isn't interviewing Barkley who is always interesting to listen to, but more for the humor in his assertions and the likelihood that his assertions prove to be off the mark. I haven't studied it, but it's my perception anyway that Billups and Barry have both been able to distinguish themselves appreciably over others who've been given a microphone.

Let's remember, GMs are judged on a lot of things, but easily the most prominent is on how they judge talent. If you find someone who appears to be somewhat more consistently right about players' production/development, and you even have them on camera so it's not just a matter of second-hand information, that has to be especially weighty.

• Like 1

I feel like having a GM that's a former championship player could be beneficial when it comes to interacting with players. Billups is a trustworthy basketball mind imo. If it's some that's not a former player I would hope they'd have a good bit of experience in successful team building. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Still would like to see Steve Smith get an interview since we're evidently going down this path in addition to the more traditional ones. But, relevant to what I just said, maybe his history of successfully assessing players and predicting their development isn't as stout. Maybe.

2 hours ago, sturt said:

Still would like to see Steve Smith get an interview since we're evidently going down this path in addition to the more traditional ones. But, relevant to what I just said, maybe his history of successfully assessing players and predicting their development isn't as stout. Maybe.

Lord no thank you to Smitty. Love him but he doesn't come off as particularly objective or with much of an ability to stand firm on his views. I would much rather have a guy like Billups if we are going that route. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Lord no thank you to Smitty. Love him but he doesn't come off as particularly objective or with much of an ability to stand firm on his views. I would much rather have a guy like Billups if we are going that route. 

Fair enough. But I qualified my interest (ie., use of the term "maybe"). And I'm only advocating for an interview, not a hire necessarily.

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

Billups or Barry for you Dolf? I like them both but slight edge to Brent..but I'm happy with either.

1 hour ago, skimaskway23 said:

Billups is one of the only analysts that loves dennis Schröder. Being a pg, he may know how to surround dennis with the right teammates. Plus he has a lot of clout amongst players in the league so he can possibly lure some free agents

Get Zion Williamson 

• Premium Member

Seems to be a good list of candidates we have, so if Chauncey gets the job he must have really impressed. I was a little more worried about this until I saw that we were going to interview guys that were actually qualified for the job. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Billups or Barry for you Dolf? I like them both but slight edge to Brent..but I'm happy with either.

Barry wouldn't even be an option for me. Billups is probably the only former player we are considering who interests me and the idea of him as GM is definitely growing on me.