• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dwight will need to accept back-up role just like Zach Randolph has done

hawks774

Dwight Howard can still help the Hawks, but at age 32, his role on this team has to change. Zach Randolph was asked by Memphis' coaching staff to be the leader of the second unit and for the most part it was a smooth transition. Dwight has limited options at this point of his career. Teams are not clamoring to add Howard to their team as a franchise player at this point. The Hawks can win with Dwight, but his role has to change and he has to be cool with that moving forward.

If you resign Millsap you pretty much have no choice but to trade Dwight because that puts the team in a stuck position if you don't. The real issue is who do you get for C? Beats me. Holmes would be an OK choice as a stopgap but not great.

Edited by Lurker

Dwight off the bench isn't enough, he needs to change the way he plays. Now that he can't dominate opposing centers physically, he needs to add more finesse to his game. His focus should be working on his pick and roll game, he's been in the league too long not to have mastered it. If this team still decides to keep it together we'll need him starting more often than not. I don't see us acquiring an adequate back up.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The best you can hope for in a Dwight Howard trade is a swap of contracts, but you can't take on a contract that lasts longer than his two years.  You would be better off just buying him out and eating the remaining 2 years on his deal.  

The best you can hope for in a Dwight Howard trade is a swap of contracts, but you can't take on a contract that lasts longer than his two years.  You would be better off just buying him out and eating the remaining 2 years on his deal.  

Why buy him out? He's not the reason why went out in the first round.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

It's not about him being a starter or bench player - he has to change his attitude and mindset  and understand he's not Orlando Dwight. He'll never be the focal point especially in the new NBA and in this system.

10 hours ago, thecampster said:

I'm not giving Dwight the benefit of the doubt too much. His game has barely improved since he came into the league.  I'm pretty sure Dwight has worked with Ewing and Hakeem also. But, he never got better. My guess is that he didn't try hard enough.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

I'm not giving Dwight the benefit of the doubt too much. His game has barely improved since he came into the league.  I'm pretty sure Dwight has worked with Ewing and Hakeem also. But, he never got better. My guess is that he didn't try hard enough.

This can' be emphasized enough.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

It's not about him being a starter or bench player - he has to change his attitude and mindset  and understand he's not Orlando Dwight. He'll never be the focal point especially in the new NBA and in this system.

That kinda requires coaching!  oh wait.

Dwight's issue is two fold.

1.  His pick and roll defense is terrible.  He no longer has the ability to move laterally well enough to hedge the pick and roll man.  

2.  While his pick and roll offense is fine, he creates spacing issues because he is not a perimeter threat.