• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The off-season according to Travis Schlenk

NBASupes

You are Travis Schlenk. Predict the off-season. The winner gets nothing but being the winner. +1 for each roster spot you get right. Ready start. 

The format: Draft/Trade/Free Agency

Draft: 

1(19) - Justin Patton (Creighton) - Mobile big. Low floor high ceiling with high BBIQ, talent and has some skill to boot. ETA: 2020. 

2(31) - Harry Giles (Duke) -Injury issue. Top 5 talent. Might have to move up to land him but depending on medical, could slip to the 2nd round. Lucky for Atlanta, we have the best medical staff in the NBA especially with Emory training center. ETA: 2019 if healthy, if not, never. 

2(60) - Kobi Simmons (Arizona) - Good team player. A lot of talent. Low skills, no position at this stage of his career. Not close to ready for the NBA right now. ETA: 2023. He is one of those kids who has the NBA talent but he's at least 4 years away. Perfect for the new NBA rules and the G-League rules for his development. Would be a guy I wouldn't touch in 2012 but the way the rules for development and the G-League, he's definitely worth a look. While he's on all of the draft boards, I think he will not get drafted but if he does, I think we might get him. 

Trades: 

Atlanta trades: D. Howard and receives D. Carroll and C. Joseph

Toronto trades: D. Carroll, C. Joseph, Jonas Val, for W. Matthews, D. Howard and a lottery protected 1st from Toronto.

Dallas trades: W. Matthews and a lottery protected 1st for Jonas Val

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n7m9s5y

Atlanta trades: Kent Bazemore for Q. Poindexter and E. Moore

New Orleans trades: Q. Poindexter and E. Moore for Kent Bazemore

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=khy8935

Atlanta trades: TPE

Phoenix trades:  Tyson Chandler and a future 2nd round pick. 

- Note: Delaney might be needed for cap reasons.  Even then, they will get a TPE for the rest of Chandler's contract. 

Free Agency: 

Retained: 

Kris Humpries - 3 years 8 million. front loaded.  A need. A vet. Will be the backup center. Knows how to play the game. 

R. Kelly - TC body

Tim Hardaway- 5 years at 55 million, backloaded.  At his salary and years, he's worth it. 

Ersan Ilyasova - 4 years at 34 million. front-loaded. Worth it for this price. This should be around his range. 

Gained: 

N, Mirotic - Sap's replacement. Stretch big. Was a net-positive for the Bulls and he fits our system. 4 years at 60 million.

Lost: 

Millsap - Miami - 4 years at 153,510,000 maybe less so they can resign Dion Waiters. Likely to lose James Johnson. 

Muscala - 4 years 24 million Brooklyn Nets. Maybe slightly less but he will be paid. Stretch big, too many teams need bigs like this and he really improved his impact stats from last year while not good, still good enough for teams who need a stretch big off of the bench. 

Thabo - 3 years 10 million Rockets. He's been a target for them for the last couple of years. 

Final Roster: 

Dennis/Joseph/Delaney (Simmons)16th man G-League

Hardaway Jr./E. Moore/Bembry (Coordiner) 17th man G- League

Prince/Carroll/Q. Poindexter

Mirotic/Ersan/Giles

Chandler/Humphries/Patton

This is a team that I can see them building. Strong on teamwork, fundamentals, vets mixed with youth, shooting, PnR play and movement. Sadly perimeter defense is terrible, post defense is terrible while the team defense won't be bad, it will not be good. This is a 22-30 win team. Not exactly 1-3 but clearly top 5-8 in the lottery. But this is a squad Bud will like coaching. Smart players, hard workers, good teammates, and shooting. I could see Poindexter being traded or cut. It would not surprise me. 

While the talent is bottom 5, I feel the team fit is top 10, maybe 5. But they have some serious holes but the fit is good and usually that wins some games in the NBA barring injuries. 

You are Travis Schlenk.

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 4

Wait a minute, so you're giving me new information....with the Hawks having a team in the g league, they'll be able to stash players there and have their NBA contract clock not start ticking?

I'll do something later here. Maybe.

2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Timmy is not signing for 11 million ... he will want way more then that

Color me doubtful he gets it, and you can't comp him off of Bazemore as why. He's sometimes 3 and no D, and is athletic.

14 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Wait a minute, so you're giving me new information....with the Hawks having a team in the g league, they'll be able to stash players there and have their NBA contract clock not start ticking?

I'll do something later here. Maybe.

Yes. New CBA. This is why every team is trying to get a G-League team. We will have two extra slots for the team roster.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Timmy is not signing for 11 million ... he will want way more then that

I think we get mad at Baze so much we forget all of the good things he does that can help a team with good talent. Hustle, team defense, making the right reads on defense, being long, athletic smart(Defense) and being good in transition. Teams value two way players in today's NBA. Tim sadly isn't that and isn't worth much on the open market. He's a hot and cold offensive minded player. 

• Like 1

For me, I think Indy, Denver, Chicago and a couple others will be going all in for Sap. Honestly, I think Brooklyn might be interested in they could land an SF elsewhere. Anyway, everyone needs to be posting their off-season transactions as Travis Schlenk. 

Edited by NBASupes

5 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Anyway, everyone needs to be posting their off-season transactions as Travis Schlenk. 

I'm gonna get right on that. (Not a wise crack ..)

First idea (and it goes off of the path of what I've talked about the most):

1. I do the same Dwight Howard trade.
2. Straight swap Kent Bazemore for just E'Twaun Moore from New Orleans, or let Kent Bazemore head back to Kenny Atkinson in Brooklyn.
3. Do not pay Paul Millsap the super max. Offer him 4/100 with incentives and if he declines, let him walk. To me preferably he accepts, but let's say he gets his feelings hurt too here like last year with Al and he walks. Then I do try to sign both Nikola Mirotic and Ersan Ilyasova.
(Now I'll go off the path a little bit, and some of it is what I mean)
4. Does Alex Len get another contract from Phoenix? Let's say he doesn't here and gets a prove it deal for 17/18 with an option.
5. Resign Tim Hardaway Jr to a 10-12 million dollar contract for 4 years.
6. Try to draft Donovan Mitchell with #19 (or make a small trade up) and Semi Ojeleye with #31.
7. Sign a bit player for backup at center. Maybe Willie Reed or give Joffrey Lauvergne a prove it deal?
8. Give bit player Troy Williams a shot as the 3rd SF.

Team:

PG: Schröder/Joseph/Delaney
SG: Hardaway Jr/Moore/Mitchell
SF: Prince/Bembry/Williams
PF: Mirotic/Ilyasova/Ojeleye (he can play both SF and PF, in this NBA he might even be best at PF)
C: Len/Reed/ (???)

I'll do a wild thought post next.

• Like 1

I'll take a stab at this...

Draft:

Round 1(19): Jonah Bolden. Some may think it's a reach, but at this juncture the new GM is trying to look like a genius and make that underrated draft pick. Tall, handles, and can shoot. Weak competition leaves a lot of question marks.

Round 2 (31): Frank Jackson. He is the perfect pick to develop as a backup point guard in Bud's system. Athletic, defensive ability, with a 3 point stroke. Decision making and handles need to improve. He has time to develop based on how the depth chart plays out.

Round 2 (60): Traded to Philadelphia

_______________________________________--

Trade:

Atlanta Trades: Kent Bazemore, 2017 #60, and Cleveland 1st.

Philadelphia Trades: Richaun Holmes & Gerald Henderson

_______

Roster Moves:
1) Waive Gerald Henderson. Contract not guaranteed.... $1 million hit if waived before 6/30.

2) JaMychal Green (4/78): Big splash... Potential overpay, but we aren't going to spend $30M on Sap nor attract other big name free agents.

3) Jodie Meeks (3/24): 6th man.

4) Irsan Illyasova (2/18)

5) Kris Humphries (3/8)

6) Tim Hardaway Jr (5/70)

7) Jose Calderon (Vet Min)

8) Mike Dunleavy (2/9)

Salary cap is tight so may need to get creative.

______

Depth Chart:

Shro / Calderon / Delaney / F Jackson (SG Minutes)

THJ / Meeks

Prince / Bembry / Dunleavy (SG Minutes)

J Green / Illyasova / Bolden (SF-C Minutes)

Howard / R Holmes / Humphries

• Like 1

Wild thought:

1. I still trade Dwight Howard in the same package here.
2. Trade Dennis Schröder to Sacramento for their pick. Take Zach Collins with said pick.
3. Resign Paul Millsap to 3+1 preferably, for 25-30 million.
4. Let Tim Hardaway Jr walk, try to sign Ian Clark and let him have a role similar to Troy Daniels from Memphis or if Sacramento gives up on Ben McLemore, give him a prove it deal.
5. Target Donovan Mitchell in the draft, and take Jonathan Motley with 31.
6. Sign Jrue Holiday or George Hill to a big deal to be PG.
7. Sign Cristiano Felicio to a one year deal with an option, if Chicago lets him go.

Not sure about next year but my idea is to have a potential 2018-2019 starting lineup and key bench players like this:

Holiday or Hill/Mitchell/Prince/Millsap/Collins
Key bench players: Bembry/Clark/Motley

If the players I have highlighted here work out even to the medium extent of their potential I wonder how that would look. I doubt the team is willing to be this bold though and even in this case, the 17/18 season would be a stopgap one.

Just now, Lurker said:

Wild thought:

1. I still trade Dwight Howard in the same package here.
2. Trade Dennis Schröder to Sacramento for their pick. Take Zach Collins with said pick.
3. Resign Paul Millsap to 3+1 preferably, for 25-30 million.
4. Let Tim Hardaway Jr walk, try to sign Ian Clark and let him have a role similar to Troy Daniels from Memphis or if Sacramento gives up on Ben McLemore, give him a prove it deal.
5. Target Donovan Mitchell in the draft, and take Jonathan Motley with 31.
6. Sign Jrue Holiday or George Hill to a big deal to be PG.
7. Sign Cristiano Felicio to a one year deal with an option, if Chicago lets him go.

Not sure about next year but my idea is to have a potential 2018-2019 starting lineup and key bench players like this:

Holiday or Hill/Mitchell/Prince/Millsap/Collins
Key bench players: Bembry/Clark/Motley

If the players I have highlighted here work out even to the medium extent of their potential I wonder how that would look. I doubt the team is willing to be this bold though and even in this case, the 17/18 season would be a stopgap one.

@Diesel, might cry with excitement, he loves Hill and hates Dennis. 

24 minutes ago, DS5 said:

Why is everyone so high on Mirotic? I'd much prefer jamychael Green if Sap leaves. 

Mirotic has + value. He can spread the court. He is a system player. His issue is his lack of defensive value. He has none. But he's not a true starting PF. He's more of a backup. 

Green is a two way PF who isn't good. He's just average. He's outproduced. The team performs better with him on the bench. He doesn't really have starter qualities. He's like Moose, where he has value but be careful not to overrate them. Nothing in his game says he should be paid more than 10 million per season. 

18 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Nothing says he is Sap anything. Not data, not eye test, not adv analytics. Nothing. 

Offensively id agree. Defensively it's closer than you think. Go back and watch sap at 26 in the jazz. I'm not talking about a 10+ year vet that has it all figured out. 

He'll never be Millsap. But parts of his game are similar.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, NBASupes said:

I think we get mad at Baze so much we forget all of the good things he does that can help a team with good talent. Hustle, team defense, making the right reads on defense, being long, athletic smart(Defense) and being good in transition. Teams value two way players in today's NBA. Tim sadly isn't that and isn't worth much on the open market. He's a hot and cold offensive minded player. 

I can see this, but I see a mix of a player thinking he's better than he is and coaches enabling those thoughts. He turned the ball over so many times during our series against Washington. For a player that gets it, you'd hope he would stop doing the same thing or our coaches would stop putting him in those situations. I blame both parties but Baze has to stop doing things he can't do well. Hopefully a good backup PG can help some. His movement on defense is good but I still see he him sulking and being late when he misses shots.

• Like 1