• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Justin Jackson

GameTime

Yeah I went from not liking him that much a couple days ago to him being my top  somewhat realistic choice. Khris Middleton is another, more realistic look at what I think he could be. He's extremely underrated.

nSometimes you just find guys who are fits for what you do.  Last year, Taurean Prince was the guy who was the great fit.  This year, it is Justin Jackson.

There are a couple of great fits for Atlanta in this draft.  One is Jackson.  Caleb Swanigan is a great fit as well.  As far as the bigs go, I think Anzejs Pasecniks may be the best overall fit.  

Jawun Evans is a great fit as well.  He was the top pick and roll point guard in the Power 5 conferences this past season.  

• Like 1

We will know who the Hawks really think is a fit with who they bring in for a second workout like they did with Taurean. Jackson and Swanigan would give us two conference players of the year. I jus think looked up to see it Swanigan was trimming down some of that excess fat, and found out he weighed almost 400 lbs in the 8th grade. Good for him.

Edited by CP61

• Admin

Being a UNC fan I have watched a lot of his games ... he has an excellent floater/giant killer ... he does a great job of the dribble drive ... over the last summer he added a 3pt shot that he made with consistency and under pressure.  He has a high bbiq, a very willing passer and moves well without the ball ... actually he never stops moving ... even though he played SF he is really a SG with some size.  Klay is an interesting comparison except for the defense ... JJ is an ok defender but never would I call him a stopper like Thompson... he does try on D which is a good starting point and his work ethic showes that he is willing to learn.  I like him here but the problem is we already have a plethora of swingmen ... Do we keep Bembry, THJ, Baz, Prince, Dunlevy?  I would only consider drafting JJ if we are considering losing 2 or 3 of the other guys.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Being a UNC fan I have watched a lot of his games ... he has an excellent floater/giant killer ... he does a great job of the dribble drive ... over the last summer he added a 3pt shot that he made with consistency and under pressure.  He has a high bbiq, a very willing passer and moves well without the ball ... actually he never stops moving ... even though he played SF he is really a SG with some size.  Klay is an interesting comparison except for the defense ... JJ is an ok defender ... the key is he tries and that he seems always willing to learn.  I like him here but the problem is we already have a plethora of swingmen ... Do we keep Bembry, THJ, Baz, Prince, Dunlevy?  I would only consider drafting JJ if we are considering losing 2 or 3 of the other guys.  

Well since it will be before FA, it will allow for us to not spend on THJ and Dunleavy can and should be cut because his contract next year isn't guaranteed.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2017 at 3:09 AM, DBac said:

I really like this fit. It would be a slam dunk to come away from this draft with Justin Jackson and a potential playmaking big like Hartenstein or Bolden. Two very valuable archetypes to winning teams.

JJ would be a nice pick at 19, but Hartenstein will already be gone by 31.

On 6/8/2017 at 10:25 AM, capstone21 said:

I like him here but the problem is we already have a plethora of swingmen ... Do we keep Bembry, THJ, Baz, Prince, Dunlevy?  I would only consider drafting JJ if we are considering losing 2 or 3 of the other guys.  

I only see 1 of those 5 Hawks wings as safe. Fully expect 2 or 3 of daFro, THJr, Gaze, and Do-leavy to either be involved in trades or not matched. Especially if the pick is JJ.

JJ could play the 2 and 3, freshPrince the 3 and 4. That's good small-ball versatility. They're about the same height in shoes, 6'8ish. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, GameTime said:

Watching this guy's pre Draft workout and interviews, he's basically everything the Colonel said he wanted. He's a high character, high BBIQ shooting guard with NBA level scoring ability in a 6'8" frame. But the Hawks are going to have to trade up to get him so I hope they are willing to do what it takes to get him when the time comes. Ideally, I hope the Hawks trade for multiple 1st Round picks so they can get a quality big and maybe another PG out of this draft as well. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Watching this guy's pre Draft workout and interviews, he's basically everything the Colonel said he wanted. He's a high character, high BBIQ shooting guard with NBA level scoring ability in a 6'8" frame. But the Hawks are going to have to trade up to get him so I hope they are willing to do what it takes to get him when the time comes. Ideally, I hope the Hawks trade for multiple 1st Round picks so they can get a quality big and maybe another PG out of this draft as well. 

With 11 picks in the next 3 drafts..I think it's a smart move to try and somehow get another 1st in this year's draft...I know it's better than the 2018 draft but im not certain about 2019 draft.

This is a great deep draft though. Like you said @hawkman, we need to be players in THIS draft. 

Ps Love Justin Jackson, he's gone at 10-12 pick...if we love him and I think we do or at least should, we need to move up 7-9 spots somehow.

Love this :-) Maaaan, they are teasing me with extremely interested.

Jackson said he spoke to his agent following the workout and that he received encouraging feedback from the Hawks. Officials said he separated himself and that they are “extremely interested.” Although a big man appears to be a priority in the first round for the Hawks, it may be hard to pass on Jackson and his wealth of experience if he is available.

Check out this article from The Ringer.

https://theringer.com/2017-nba-draft-casual-fan-guide-justin-jackson-frank-mason-667bd53c3

Take a look at the section entitled "The Guys your Grandpa can't believe aren't top 5 picks".

Justin Jackson, North Carolina

Jackson was the player of the year in a loaded ACC, in part because he was the best player on the conference’s best team, but mostly because nobody in all of college basketball created more matchup headaches for opponents. Although Jackson was listed at small forward, he was essentially a 6-foot-8 shooting guard for the Heels who had a quick trigger from deep and could heat up at a moment’s notice. That he was also able to shut down opposing shooting guards — as evidenced by the clamps he put on Kentucky’s Malik Monk in the Elite Eight — afforded UNC head coach Roy Williams the luxury of relying on his stable of big guys to do the dirty work down low so that Jackson could play exclusively on the perimeter. Jackson never could have pulled this off during his sophomore season, when he made his living on offense by making putbacks and throwing up floaters. To his credit, though, he worked on his jumper last summer, came into the 2016–17 season as a completely different player, and led the Heels to a national title largely because nobody had an answer for him.

1*_hSkcG1o3J9U2cQIkkezZw.jpeg
Justin Jackson (Getty Images)

This progression is why I believe Jackson’s NBA future will come as a shooting guard, even though his height suggests that he should be a small forward. He just never looked comfortable as a true forward during his first two seasons at Carolina, which I guess doesn’t make him all that different from countless other underclassmen who tried to find their way on super-talented teams. Still, once Jackson added that smooth stroke to his game, everything clicked. It’s like he realized that his destiny as a basketball player is to curl off screens and rise above defenders to knock down jumpers and then use his length on the other end of the floor to bottle up smaller guards, not to fight for rebounds or try to body guys in the post with his frail frame. If Jackson continues to make strides over the offseason and tries to model his game after Klay Thompson instead of working to become a prototypical small forward, there’s no telling how good he could be.

Also note that the second guy on this list is "cough" Caleb Swanigan "cough".  

My dream draft for the Hawks is to get Jackson at 19 with Swanigan at 31, and then if you can somehow get Frank Mason at 60, whoa boy!!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Also note that the second guy on this list is "cough" Caleb Swanigan "cough".  

My dream draft for the Hawks is to get Jackson at 19 with Swanigan at 31, and then if you can somehow get Frank Mason at 60, whoa boy!!

We'd probably have to trade up for JJ  (which I'm now expecting) and Frank Mason. Actually, I think it would take 31 to get Mason. I think the Hawks will love his attitude, so that really is a  possibility. Plus he's less than an inch shorter than Mike Conley, Chris Paul, and Kemba Walker. Shoot, he only played one more college season than Kemba too, and is 10 lbs heavier. Plus Frank has a longer wingspan and better jumps. I know we need big men, but we should get JJ and Mason if at all possible.

• Like 1