• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

In the next few days we find out...

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Sad but true...Atlanta (not necessarily squawk) wants the highlight factory...

If a top 10 or 12 player in the league doesn't excite Atlanta then we might be screwed. Lol.

Atlanta isn't like a city that just supports the team for winning ways like a San Antonio or Detroit. 

Its more like Los Angeles or New York, the way you win matters. We'd really need a player with an attitude that the city relates to for us to really thrive. 

Like a Russell Westbrook or even someone young that just generates a lot of buzz and conversation like Lonzo Ball does. 

• Like 1

Tank into the gutters of the NBA...since we won't be keeping any of our top players from the ECF run. 

So many say "tanking doesn't work" - well it would have worked with proper talent evaluation.  Let's just say we had smart people in charge and took CP3 (at a position we were in need) instead of Marvin.  Talent evaluation.

Sure you can say we wouldn't have beaten the "Fighting LeBrons" anyway...but you never know.

It looks to me (now) that the smart E.C. teams are setting up for the post-LeBron era in the Eastern Conference.  Danny Ainge (Boston GM) seems to be smart (or lucky) enough to set up for both the post-LeBron era and the current next few years in case LBJ breaks down or goes to the West.

11 hours ago, marco102 said:

If u look at second half attendance hawks were top 10 in the league for the 60 win season. The city of Atlanta was number 5 in viewer ship for the NBA finals. U just have to get that star player that will make the average joes come out. PG13 would be that. Especially if the Hawks win 50+ games.

Getting downtown is a pain.  For those of you that don't live where North of town and outside the Perimeter. Getting from Alpharetta, Duluth, Hamilton Mill, Suwanee, Roswell, Canton, Woodstock into Atlanta at 7 PM for a Hawks game is not worth the effort. Back when I lived in Dacula and went to 3-4 games a year. I would leave the house at 5-5:30 to make the 7 AM tips.  The game ended at 9:30 and I wouldn't make it home until 11:30. 

Getting down to Phillips to see a game is next to impossible, not to mention that if you don't park in stadium parking you are taking your life into your own hands. I've been accosted twice (once Hawks, once Braves). For those north of the perimeter (where a lot of the disposable income is), the location of Phillips is a major deterrence.

If the stadium was at/near Perimeter Center. They would average a sellout.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DJlaysitup said:

Tank into the gutters of the NBA...since we won't be keeping any of our top players from the ECF run. 

So many say "tanking doesn't work" - well it would have worked with proper talent evaluation.  Let's just say we had smart people in charge and took CP3 (at a position we were in need) instead of Marvin.  Talent evaluation.

Sure you can say we wouldn't have beaten the "Fighting LeBrons" anyway...but you never know.

It looks to me (now) that the smart E.C. teams are setting up for the post-LeBron era in the Eastern Conference.  Danny Ainge (Boston GM) seems to be smart (or lucky) enough to set up for both the post-LeBron era and the current next few years in case LBJ breaks down or goes to the West.

I keep saying this....look at Boston's cap situation in 2 years.

This year their beginning number is $71 million (which looks nice) but they have to make decisions on Amir Johnson, Jonas Jerebko, James Young, Gerald Green and that number includes a qualifying offer for Olynyk at 4.279 million (who will probably make much more than that).  Next year they have Avery Bradley, Tyler Zeller, Isaiah Thomas, Kelly Olynyk (if he doesn't sign an RFA contract elsewhere that gets matched). All of those players made a total of $47.6 million.  3 of those will eat up that much when signed and 1/2 will be gone.  Boston will need all of those mid 1st round picks to fill in roster space with an aging Horford, fragile Thomas and potentially overpaid Olynyk.  Their saving grace is Crowder is locked up for 3 more years at 7 million per.

Boston has all that space because they have quite a few pipers to pay.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dejay said:

We've done this enough times here already. After New Year's when the Hawks started getting things cooking, they were a top-tier team attendance wise and the only reason they weren't ranked higher was because of the arena size. I just checked (again) and there was only three occasions dating back to the Bucks loss after Christmas where they didn't get at least 18k in the building. Give us more credit than that, Dolf...

Credit for not showing up unless the team is the best or hottest in the league? Or only if it's "cool" to go to a Hawks game? Nah no way am I giving credit for that. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Credit for not showing up unless the team is the best or hottest in the league? Or only if it's "cool" to go to a Hawks game? Nah no way am I giving credit for that. 

To be fair...two years ago we went to the ECFs - farther than an "Atlanta" Hawks team has ever gone.

10 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Free country. But few teams, especially with their track record in the playoffs and the draft get years' worth of sellouts without hoisting up banners that matter. Not in cities with multiple pro sports teams...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Boston will need all of those mid 1st round picks to fill in roster space with an aging Horford,

I don't know if I would call Al Horford "aging" -of course we all are I suppose :-)

Horford is pretty much in the prime of his career for the next few years.

1 hour ago, thecampster said:

Getting downtown is a pain.  For those of you that don't live where North of town and outside the Perimeter. Getting from Alpharetta, Duluth, Hamilton Mill, Suwanee, Roswell, Canton, Woodstock into Atlanta at 7 PM for a Hawks game is not worth the effort. Back when I lived in Dacula and went to 3-4 games a year. I would leave the house at 5-5:30 to make the 7 AM tips.  The game ended at 9:30 and I wouldn't make it home until 11:30. 

Getting down to Phillips to see a game is next to impossible, not to mention that if you don't park in stadium parking you are taking your life into your own hands. I've been accosted twice (once Hawks, once Braves). For those north of the perimeter (where a lot of the disposable income is), the location of Phillips is a major deterrence.

If the stadium was at/near Perimeter Center. They would average a sellout.

Image result for marta

Hint . . . .

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Image result for marta phillips arena

When the train literally takes you right to the arena, it's hard to say that getting to the arena is "impossible".

My brother and I don't even try to drive to the games anymore. Just drive to a Marta station and get dropped off right at the arena.

3 hours ago, Flight said:

Atlanta isn't like a city that just supports the team for winning ways like a San Antonio or Detroit. 

Its more like Los Angeles or New York, the way you win matters. We'd really need a player with an attitude that the city relates to for us to really thrive. 

Like a Russell Westbrook or even someone young that just generates a lot of buzz and conversation like Lonzo Ball does. 

No doubt...aka I still root for Mike Vick! ;-)

16 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

I think some are hoping for a complete tear down and rebuild. Like we've discussed in other threads, that could take years, Schlenk did mention 7 years in Golden State. Raise you hand in you like stealth tanks.

Dennis to Sacramento for #5

Don't resign Paul

Let Timmy walk

What are the chances that two of those three things happen?

ps @NBASupes already put in his application for stealth tank captain so the rest can fall back..lol

IMG_0521.JPG

IMG_0522.JPG

IMG_0523.JPG

I think Dennis stays. SAC should get their guy Fox at #5. 

Millsap is definitely gone.

Hardaway is definitely gone. Similar to the Millsap situation, other teams can give him offers that Schlenk will be unwilling to match.

11 hours ago, macdaddy said:

It means that Dennis wants him back and probably is expecting him.   Agreed that doesn't mean it would happen but he doesn't repost it if he thinks the guy's a goner or if he hates playing with him.

I think Tim is coming back because he'll probably be the most cost effective, young option with potential.  Bud has invested a lot in him but i do think he's a borderline starter at this point.  I hope that'll change. 

Dennis got no pull. 

I doubt Hardaway will be back. Teams like Philly got cap space and easily offer him the max and don't blink. Meanwhile, Schlenk wouldn't match it.

I'm sure Schlenk could get an ex-Warrior like Rush to come to ATL as a stopgap replacement while Bembry continues to develop or Schlenk drafts his own guy at SG.

7 hours ago, LucastheThird said:

My brother and I don't even try to drive to the games anymore. Just drive to a Marta station and get dropped off right at the arena.

When I go to the CIAA Basketball Tournament in Charlotte, I refuse to try to drive downtown and battle that traffic.  It's so much easier ( and cheaper ) to just drive south of downtown, park at one of the park and ride stations, and take the train right into downtown.  

If I lived in Atlanta, especially north of downtown, using MARTA would be the only way I'd go to the game.

4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Believe Tim's future here is depending on any one or combination of if we keep Sap, trade Baze or draft a SG at #19. 

I'm actually hoping that we don't draft a SG. Well, at least not with the 19th pick...the shooting guard position could very well be the weakest of the five positions in this draft. Off the board first will be Monk, then Kennard and Donovan Mitchell before we pick at 19...the 4th best prospect is Terrence Ferguson, the international man of mystery (not Austin Powers). He's projected to go in the early 20's. I'm not sure he fits the prototype player that either Bud or Schlenk tend to go for, or have in the past.

This draft is a good one. Let's just try and draft the BPA period. I don't really care if he plays Taurean Prince's position or even plays a similar style (actually I'd love the latter lol). I'm not saying pull a Hinke and do this for 5 years in a row (although he's starting or may look like a genius when it's all said and done). I'm just saying we don't have enough talent at ANY position to worry about duplicating anything. The only position would be point guard with Dennis. Even then, we need a great backup because for one, Delaney sucks, and two, we were very successful when we had both Teague and Dennis, it was a great luxury to have for us. I doubt though there are a ton of point guards at 19 either besides Evans who is rising up in the mocks. The Fultz's, Balls and Fox's of the world are all gone by our pick so the point guard doesn't look great at pick 19 unless you love Evans, which may do specially in the past week or two.

Thats leaves 3 positions for me personally at pick 19...SF, PF, and center. I think that's where the best talent might be position wise at the 19th pick, now, if we trade up, all bets are off. Just my draft strategy.

14 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

Thats leaves 3 positions for me personally at pick 19...SF, PF, and center. I think that's where the best talent might be position wise at the 19th pick, now, if we trade up, all bets are off. Just my draft strategy.

I'm still going old school and go with a big at 19, somebody will be there pretty sure, they all should develop but for different roles between C and PF.

7 minutes ago, Thomas said:

I'm still going old school and go with a big at 19, somebody will be there pretty sure, they all should develop but for different roles between C and PF.

Yup, agreed on that. It's hard to pass up on a great pf prospect in Collins or an equally great prospect in Jarrett Allen. For me personally I'd only pass on them if Justin Jackson was still on the board. 

Also, and this is just me, I wanted Semi Ojeleye at 31...no way he lasts till then, so if it's me, I take another hard look at him at 19, there's just so much to love. My only question would be if Collins or Allen's upside was too good to pass up for Semi. I love this draft so much that I wish we had the 5th pick, the 15th pick and the 25th pick...that would be incredible. Hey, a guy can dream. Lol.