• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Signs pointing towards a Millsap Sign-and-Trade...

parfait

• Premium Member

So, good to see fanatic keeping up with the discussion here, albeit from his sterile environment inside the Peachtree Hoops compound's digital walls away from the rest of us.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/6/26/15871230/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-sign-and-trade-paul-millsap

This is now REQUIRED reading before posting anything else in this thread.

Because I said so.

And you'll like it.

(No, really you will.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sturt said:

So, good to see fanatic keeping up with the discussion here, albeit from his sterile environment inside the Peachtree Hoops compound's digital walls away from the rest of us.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2017/6/26/15871230/atlanta-hawks-salary-cap-sign-and-trade-paul-millsap

This is now REQUIRED reading before posting anything else in this thread.

Because I said so.

And you'll like it.

(No, really you will.)

@sturt  I was about to post this.  It should have it's own thread though.  Good luck with getting @kg01 and @Spud2Nique to read this.  You'll get 

EkvDRTI.gif

@JayBirdHawk, I'm so disappointed in you.  I'll have you know that I did read it ... well most of it ... ok, some of it but I was all ...

So Bored

... afterwards.  Happy?!

And screw the ghost of hawksfanatic for re-writing War and Peace and masquerading it as a Hawks article.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@kg01  Rather send Rubio along to another team.  Knicks want him badly.  Send us Mundungus plus for Rubio.

@Sothron  What you think about them still trading Rubio even though they traded Dunn.  Maybe they get George Hill in FAcy?

I don't buy them trading Rubio. Rubio fits what Thibs wants except for shooting and even then Rubio has improved his shooting. The metrics show that throughout his career the Wolves are considerably better when Rubio is on the court than off it. You put a guy like Butler next to Rubio and they now have the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

I don't buy them trading Rubio. Rubio fits what Thibs wants except for shooting and even then Rubio has improved his shooting. The metrics show that throughout his career the Wolves are considerably better when Rubio is on the court than off it. You put a guy like Butler next to Rubio and they now have the best defensive backcourt in the NBA.

I agree with him being a great fit. Slim chances they get a better point guard than Rubio. Please don't say Rose. Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sothron said:

It's not about them trading him, it's about him no longer wanting to be there.  And his on-ball defense is becoming vastly overrated here.  He's ok in that he's willing, but he's not the great defender people bill him to be.

Boom.  Come at me, bro-lio.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

MIN waives Jordan Hill today.  He got anything left?

He'd be an ok backup big man for a tank...er rebuilding team.

6 hours ago, kg01 said:

It's not about them trading him, it's about him no longer wanting to be there.  And his on-ball defense is becoming vastly overrated here.  He's ok in that he's willing, but he's not the great defender people bill him to be.

Boom.  Come at me, bro-lio.

Rubio is the best on ball point guard defender in the NBA. He is fantastic as a defender. If you watched the Wolves play you could see it.

• Premium Member

It is increasingly my perception as I run through all the possible scenarios (per fantic's parameters) that

1) There really is no SnT situation that makes sense where all three parties (ATL, Sap and the theoretical new team) would be concerned... no readily apparent win-win-win opportunities out there

2) Short of some team clearing cap space for him, which is always possible, it's going to be difficult for most teams to offer him $35m/yr+

3) By virtue of the limited competition for his services, we may be more able to re-sign him than I'd personally anticipated until now. I know that's not something everyone here gets excited about, but that's what I for one am seeing.

4) Then again, if it turns out he's not finding the money he's looking for, and he and his agent perceive they need to ratchet down their expectations, then that conceivably opens some SnT possibilities that weren't really there before.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think option 4 is most likely.  He can still start his contract at just over 30M and tack raises onto there and find a team that is very competitive.  It is the pure max contract that is the biggest problem.

On 6/23/2017 at 11:16 PM, parfait said:

I was certainly someone who thought that Sign-and-Trades were a thing of the past. But there have been multiple mentions of Millsap S&T discussions in the press now, the most recent being a possible one with San Antonio involving LaMarcus Aldridge:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/clear-draft-carmelo-anthony-doesn-fit-knicks-plans-article-1.3271162

I'd be intrigued by a deal involving LMA, especially since his deal only has 2 years remaining. And, I'd be more confident in Travis Schlenk not being overly accommodating to San Antonio the way BudCox may have been.

Of course, there was the reference by Brian Windhorst to S&T discussions with Phoenix, Sacramento, and Denver.

This is of course speculation, but I would point to two small clues that might hint at a possible Millsap S&T brewing:

1) The absence of UDFA contracts signed despite having so many roster spots open. We haven't even signed a dinky two-way deal. I think that Schlenk is unable to offer anything more than a Summer League invite due to an impending roster influx.

2) This one is even more of a stretch, but I also find it very weird, and so does Peachtree Hoops, that Minnesota drafted Justin Patton despite having KAT and Gorgui Dieng already. And Patton was a guy that we looked at very closely.

I think that contending teams that covet Millsap, such as San Antonio, Denver, Minnesota, and Houston, lack the cap space to sign him outright, and Millsap knows that. And he doesn't want to be stuck in Phoenix or Sacramento. So he is willing to work with the Hawks to get the 4 year max and land with one of those Western Conference contenders.

Part of this is clearly wishful thinking on my part. But if Schlenk can pull off any sort of S&T that nets us assets for Millsap, then he will have done what seemed an impossibility just a week ago.

*SHARP POSTER ALERT*

Houston and Denver are the most realistic landing spots for a sign and trade.  I think Houston is most-likely.  Folks also cannot expect a huge return for essentially clearing a few $M in cap space.  If we get avoid a bad contract and either get a young player or 2018 first in the deal, that would be good.  We don't want Akldrige.  That's silly.  I don't doubt Millsap would be great for the Spurs but Aldridge is fool's gold, and even best case, he doesn't fit our current agenda being on a two year contract, the first year of which we are not served well by him making us a better team.

Denver is second most likely.  Faried would be fantastic.  Chandler's contract is too high for my taste, but we have to take on more than Faried's salary and eating Wilson might be the cost of getting a real helper like Faried.  Maybe Faried and Arthur would be enough.   

On 6/24/2017 at 8:44 AM, JTB said:

Faried is the most intriguing as he's a hell of a rebounder! Chandler overall game is good and Arthur is at the least decent off the bench but with all that said....my guy from Denver is Gary Harris! Find a way to include him or add him & take someone else out...whatever has to be done...and the trade is perfect.

Dream on with Gary Harris.  We are merely helping a team clear a few $M in cap space.  FFS.