• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Signs pointing towards a Millsap Sign-and-Trade...

parfait

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, parfait said:

1) The absence of UDFA contracts signed despite having so many roster spots open. We haven't even signed a dinky two-way deal. I think that Schlenk is unable to offer anything more than a Summer League invite due to an impending roster influx.

It's something we've been talking about generically, though with much skepticism, but you make a good point there.

Then, nice pick up on the brief but compelling mention in the NY Post story you cite, which isn't even about Sap...

A source said another option to look out for with Aldridge is a deal to Atlanta for Paul Millsap, who is a free agent and will have to be signed and traded.

And then, this point is well-taken as well...

12 minutes ago, parfait said:

I think that contending teams that covet Millsap, such as San Antonio, Denver, Minnesota, and Houston, lack the cap space to sign him outright, and Millsap knows that. And he doesn't want to be stuck in Phoenix or Sacramento. So he is willing to work with the Hawks to get the 4 year max and land with one of those Western Conference contenders.

Please don't be a stranger.... good stuff.

• Like 2

If Schlenk gets to sign in trade Millsap then I'll take back everything I said bad about him. Assuming we don't return Mason Plumlee :) Lemarcus would be a good get for Sap, and he would still be moveable if it didn't work out.

For Minnesota I think KAt will play PF and Patton has a higher upside than Dieng if he could fulfil it. I'm not sure I see a log jam there as you need backups.

From Houston I would consider taking Beverly and Ryan Anderson plus a a lottery protected first for Sap. Gives us a competent backup PG that can play D when Dennis is getting torched, and the stretch big Bud covets. I would have to check the length of those deals first though and make sure they end before or coinciding with Plumlee's. Haven't checked if salaries match on espn yet, but I bet it would be about right. 

Edited by ATLien_
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

If Schlenk gets to sign in trade Millsap then I'll take everything I said bad about him. Lemarcus would be a good get for Sap, and he would still be moveable if it didn't work out.

For Minnesota I think KAt will play PF and Patton has a higher upside than Dieng if he could fulfil it. I'm not sure I see a log jam there as you need backups.

From Houston I would consider taking Beverly and Ryan Anderson plus a a lottery protected first for Sap. Gives us a competent backup PG that can play D when Dennis is getting torched, and the stretch big Bud covets. I would have to check the length of those deals first though and make sure they end before or coinciding with Plumlee's. Haven't checked if salaries match on espn yet, but I bet it would be about right. 

I'd love Beverly. Ryan Anderson has a long deal I think, and I don't really want that. I suppose then signing Ily would be off the table.

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I'd love Beverly. Ryan Anderson has a long deal I think, and I don't really want that. I suppose then signing Ily would be off the table.

I'd love Beverly too, we'd have the best PG situation in the league with him, but Ryan Anderson is signed through 2019-2020 owed 60 million bux, no thks!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, turnermx said:

I'd love Beverly too, we'd have the best PG situation in the league with him, but Ryan Anderson is signed through 2019-2020 owed 60 million bux, no thks!

Thats better than Plumlee trash self. And shooting doesnt fade so i wouldnt mind it if it were t happen

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

LMA is on the decline He had his worst year since his rookie year this past year. I'd rather have Millsap than him at this point.

Think about it.... He isn't happy with SA's offense.... Why would he be happy here? He didn't play well for SA in the playoffs either.

I guess some folks could argue that he'd be a 2 year rental until Davis is ready to take over, but then you have worry about LMA's poor attitude having an effect. Just like Howard.

Edited by Hotlanta1981
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

LMA is on the decline. I'd rather have Millsap than him at this point.

Pick one.

__ Aldridge for 1-2 years @ ~$22m

__ Millsap for 4 years @ ~$30 to $35m

__ ~$22m in new cap space

EDIT: Just saw your previous post @Hotlanta1981.... I take that as, "new cap space, please."

Fair enough.

• Like 3

For the spurs, Millsap is a much better option than Melo. I think that really makes sense. And I think Aldridge would benefit from being the number 1 option with the Hawks. 

For Minnesota, I think Millsap would make them real contenders. Rubio, Butler, Wiggins, Sap, KAT... You fill up the bench with some shooters and you have a winner, which is a great thing for our pick. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, turnermx said:

Don't forget the alternative could be getting nothing for Sap. As long as Schlenk feels those deals are moveable then it's probably better to get movable assets with value. 

Worst case scenario is we have a ton of cap room in 19/20 with Plum and Ryan coming off the books. Hopefully we trade them as expiring deals a year early though.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, sturt said:

Pick one.

__ Aldridge for 1-2 years @ ~$22m

__ Millsap for 4 years @ ~$30 to $35m

__ ~$22m in new cap space

EDIT: Just saw your previous post @Hotlanta1981.... I take that as, "new cap space, please."

Fair enough.

Well, I think you'd be running into the Howard situation all over again. I suppose you could try it for a year and ship him off if it doesn't work out. It would probably keep the Hawks in the playoffs if they get a respectable center. But I don't think LMA is going to be a mentor to Davis.

40 minutes ago, DS5 said:

For the spurs, Millsap is a much better option than Melo. I think that really makes sense. And I think Aldridge would benefit from being the number 1 option with the Hawks. 

For Minnesota, I think Millsap would make them real contenders. Rubio, Butler, Wiggins, Sap, KAT... You fill up the bench with some shooters and you have a winner, which is a great thing for our pick. 

Where does Minnesota come up with cap space to add Millsap and Butler?

If it's Denver we could see a potential swap of :

Denver gets : Millsap 

Hawks get : Faried+ Chandler+Arthur

Faried is signed for 2 more seasons on a pretty good deal at 12.9 mill for next season and 13.7 mill for 2018-19 season. He can tutor Collins in these two years.

Chandler is signed for 12 mill this season and a player option of 12.8 mill for 2018-19. He's a pretty good all around baller. I like his overall game.

Darrell Arthur is signed for 7.4 mill this year and a player option of 7.4 mill in 2018-19. Very underrated defender, rebounder. Does a lot of little things. Bud loves guy like him I'm sure.

The salaries seem to matchups as well. I wouldn't be mad at this in any way. It gives up some gap spot guys, but guys that play hard (when they want to play..Faried), Chandler and Arthur. Plus we aren't committed to them long term and can still stay flexible for the future.

Thoughts?

I think if Sap feels indebted to the team it can be done. He took two very short term deals to get to this point in his career to get one last humongous cash out. 

He deserve it and it can make sense for all 3 parties. Denver has some pieces to work with. Sure they could sign him outright but they could fit in another free agent instead of just Sap. They could get rid of some dead contracts like Chandler or Faried. 

I'm fine with trying out lamarcus Aldridge for the next two seasons. He's cheaper than millsap and will be a better scorer than Howard. 

The focus shouldn't be on him however as any kind of focal point. I believe it's HIGHLY IMPORTANT to continue to get to the playoffs for our young guys like Dennis & Prince & hopefully THJ to gain playoff experience whether we have a legit shot at winning the championship or not.

playoffs are different and young players need to understand that before they hit their prime in my opinion.

8 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Think about it.... He isn't happy with SA's offense.... Why would he be happy here? He didn't play well for SA in the playoffs either.

I guess some folks could argue that he'd be a 2 year rental until Davis is ready to take over, but then you have worry about LMA's poor attitude having an effect. Just like Howard.

I hate to get on pops case but there's a reason he's disgruntled. Aldridge has never been a post offensive guy! His bread and butter was the mid range game which is now highly considered the dead shot of offensive basketball in the NBA.

im not saying Aldridge can't score in the post but it's just not his game and let's be honest...pop as great as he is forced that style of play on lamarcus.

so yeah he wants out...he wants to get to a team that will allow him to be a shooter like he was in Portland which is how he made a name for himself to begin with. 

5 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

If it's Denver we could see a potential swap of :

Denver gets : Millsap 

Hawks get : Faried+ Chandler+Arthur

Faried is signed for 2 more seasons on a pretty good deal at 12.9 mill for next season and 13.7 mill for 2018-19 season. He can tutor Collins in these two years.

Chandler is signed for 12 mill this season and a player option of 12.8 mill for 2018-19. He's a pretty good all around baller. I like his overall game.

Darrell Arthur is signed for 7.4 mill this year and a player option of 7.4 mill in 2018-19. Very underrated defender, rebounder. Does a lot of little things. Bud loves guy like him I'm sure.

The salaries seem to matchups as well. I wouldn't be mad at this in any way. It gives up some gap spot guys, but guys that play hard (when they want to play..Faried), Chandler and Arthur. Plus we aren't committed to them long term and can still stay flexible for the future.

Thoughts?

Faried is the most intriguing as he's a hell of a rebounder! Chandler overall game is good and Arthur is at the least decent off the bench but with all that said....my guy from Denver is Gary Harris! Find a way to include him or add him & take someone else out...whatever has to be done...and the trade is perfect.

• Like 2