• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are we forced to sign or match THJ this off season ?

JTB

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, hazer said:

Absolutely, same thing I'm saying. Anything over $15mill/yr right now is overpaying though. If he continues improving into that Joe Johnson-esque piece over the course of the next contract (3 yrs), then he earns the bigger money contract after next.

People miss the developing THJr.  I see loads of potential.  Especially under a coach who will push him to be better.   Bud spent THJr's whole first year sending him to the NBADL so that he could humble him.   Now, THJr has started maturing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

People miss the developing THJr.  I see loads of potential.  Especially under a coach who will push him to be better.   Bud spent THJr's whole first year sending him to the NBADL so that he could humble him.   Now, THJr has started maturing. 

Exactly, this will really be like THJr's 3rd year in the league, I consider him red-shirted. Incredible work ethic, fire inside to live up to daddy. 3rd year is the charm.

• Like 3

Still not deserving of overpay though, his continued development and finding consistency THIS season will determine if he's on a steal of a contract or way overpaid. It's his pivotal moment.

19 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't understand the THjr hate.  Sign the guy already...He wants to be here and he is developing.  Dude is a starter not a bench player.  What does he have to do to win y'all over?

Play defense or be above league average in 3 point shooting. I love Timmy. I still think he's a high end, come off the bench, volume scorer. Thats a valuable piece but not worth more that 11-12 million a year. 

25 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I don't understand the THjr hate.  Sign the guy already...He wants to be here and he is developing.  Dude is a starter not a bench player.  What does he have to do to win y'all over?

Can I assume you're speaking of earlier posts? @Diesel and I are giving THJr props...

20 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Agreed! And the one thing I hate is when someone says THJ need to find consistency! WTF are you exactly saying????

same thing is said about Dennis but I'm looking at the end of season stats and both shot league avg on fg%  and on 3s! So to those that say THJ and Dennis need to find consistency they really need to be specific.

I don't believe shooting league avg for two players that are new to Buds system and new to starting in a controlled offense is a bad thing.

now if we are talking consistency towards their whole complete overall game I get you.

• Moderators

THJr goes on torrid and ice cold streaks with his shooting.  That is primarily what people refer to in wanting more consistency.  Just look at his career playoff numbers for ice cold Timmy.

3 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Play defense or be above league average in 3 point shooting. I love Timmy. I still think he's a high end, come off the bench, volume scorer. Thats a valuable piece but not worth more that 11-12 million a year. 

Second  year on and off starter in a controlled offense ...I don't believe shooting league avg at 3s is a bad thing especially when that player has shown growth in other areas of his offense.

simetimes we expect way too much out of young players and don't allow them enough time to develop. This past season was truly THJs first under bud as a important role player. Last year he spent most if not all his time in the d league. The man is showing a lot of improvement and he's young. Had he not actually developed & showed potential I'd understand the hate.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, CP61 said:

Volume scorer? He had the 2nd highest shooting percentage on the team among the starters behind Howard.  So how is that a volume scorer???

• Like 2

Just now, AHF said:

THJr goes on torrid and ice cold streaks with his shooting.  That is primarily what people refer to in wanting more consistency.  Just look at his career playoff numbers for ice cold Timmy.

Come on @AHF that's unfair to go off of the playoffs for THJ. Last season was his first playoffs he's ever been too and he barely played in the regular season therefore it really shouldn't be held against him.

this past season was his first season of actually being an important role player and his first playoffs he was actually being counted on and yeah he choked up...but that shouldn't be held against a 24 year old in his second playoffs of his nba career. 

We cant go off of that when determining if we should keep him or not. He's not the star player...maybe had he been starting against other starters all year long results would have been different 

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I hope we don't keep him. He plays no defense, literally does not contribute at all in rebounding , assists, steals...just chucking up shots. I'd rather start marco.

THJ deserves credit for giving all out effort on guarding beal. Beal is a tough cover and THJ in my opinion did about as good as you can on beal who had a huge breakout year and was highly efficient this season.

• Moderators
Just now, JTB said:

Come on @AHF that's unfair to go off of the playoffs for THJ. Last season was his first playoffs he's ever been too and he barely played in the regular season therefore it really shouldn't be held against him.

this past season was his first season of actually being an important role player and his first playoffs he was actually being counted on and yeah he choked up...but that shouldn't be held against a 24 year old in his second playoffs of his nba career. 

We cant go off of that when determining if we should keep him or not. He's not the star player...maybe had he been starting against other starters all year long results would have been different 

He played in the playoffs the first year in Atlanta too so this was his second time. We needed him badly with Korver hurt and getting shut down by the Cavs.  Bud gave him minutes but he was so bad (due to his own injury and/or play) that Bud eventually deep sixes him on the bench.  

Check out his splits and you'll see a career of hot streaks and cold streaks.

He was much better last year and I'd rather pay him banking on continued improvement than pay Baze 19M/year.

9 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Volume scorer? He had the 2nd highest shooting percentage on the team among the starters behind Howard.  So how is that a volume scorer???

The volume scorer comment makes me think there's some that didn't watch THJ as a hawk. They still believe he chunks up shots like he did in NYK! ....completely unbelievable that this young man worked his ass off on being more disciplined in Buds offense and way more patient allowing the offense to develop and not just chunking shots and people still can't see his improvement 

some of these comments are too harsh for a 24 year old who wasn't supposed to be depended on so much but because our offense sucked overall, THJ was looked at by fans to come through night in and night out to be the sole helper for Dennis and sap 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JTB said:

Second  year on and off starter in a controlled offense ...I don't believe shooting league avg at 3s is a bad thing especially when that player has shown growth in other areas of his offense.

simetimes we expect way too much out of young players and don't allow them enough time to develop. This past season was truly THJs first under bud as a important role player. Last year he spent most if not all his time in the d league. The man is showing a lot of improvement and he's young. Had he not actually developed & showed potential I'd understand the hate.

I just said I loved him. Yeah he'd Ben the starter for us now, but not long term in my eyes. I don't think I expect too much from him now, but paying him Bazemore money would be dumb. Then he would have to be thbe long term starter to warrant the contract. I like him best off the bench where he's the go-to guy. Nobody else on the bench can score well, so he'd fill the need best there, and wouldn't be guarding starting guards that way. I hope he comes back, but if a team throws money at him, the Hawks should stay away. 

Look, I know he's not a chucker, what I meant by that comment before was I want him to basically be the center of the offense off the bench where he's more free to do what he wants. 

Edited by CP61

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

He played in the playoffs the first year in Atlanta too so this was his second time. We needed him badly with Korver hurt and getting shut down by the Cavs.  Bud gave him minutes but he was so bad (due to his own injury and/or play) that Bud eventually deep sixes him on the bench.  

Check out his splits and you'll see a career of hot streaks and cold streaks.

He was much better last year and I'd rather pay him banking on continued improvement than pay Baze 19M/year.

I hear you but how are you going to depend on THJ last year in the playoffs when he barely played at all in the regular season that year? ....yeah prince was somehow able to do it but expectations should be low when these players are barely getting minutes over the regular season.

thj last year/prince this year 

3 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I just said I loved him. Yeah he'd Ben the starter for us now, but not long term in my eyes. I don't think I expect too much from him now, but paying him Bazemore money would be dumb. Then he would have to be thbe long term starter to warrant the contract. I like him best off the bench where he's the go-to guy. Nobody else on the bench can score well, so he'd fill the need best there, and wouldn't be guarding starting guards that way. I hope he comes back, but if a team throws money at him, the Hawks should stay away. 

Look, I know he's not a chucker, what I meant by that comment before was I want him to basically be the center of the offense off the bench where he's more free to do what he wants. 

Understand! I get what you're saying now. Unfortunately looking ahead at upcoming free agencies past this year I don't see a better player we can actually realistically get and I personally don't trust drafts in the NBA so for me I say pay the man cause finding better is not only going to take a long time it's honestly going to be a challenge unless we're just tanking every season.