• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Moneyball Targets

TheFuzz

Ekpe Udoh / Dewayne Dedmon for super cheap low minute centers.

Ben McLemore could be another THJ type reclamation project. I suspect he'll get overpaid by someone though. For cheap you could do worse.

Taj Gibson / David Lee cheapish PFs. Ersan might be the best option.

Omri Casspi can stretch the floor as a 3/4. Michael Beasley (lol) for a guy that can randomly get hot and go off.

• Like 1

Quite a few quality players we can get at a good value IMO:

Omri Casspi

Jonas Jerekbo

Ian Clark

Tyreke Evans 

James Johnson

Marreese Speights 

Cristiano Felicio

Alan Williams

Joffrey Lauvergne

Ben McLemore

Thomas Robinson

Nick Young

Rodney Stuckey

Sergio Rodríguez

32 minutes ago, DBac said:

Ekpe Udoh / Dewayne Dedmon for super cheap low minute centers.

Ben McLemore could be another THJ type reclamation project. I suspect he'll get overpaid by someone though. For cheap you could do worse.

Taj Gibson / David Lee cheapish PFs. Ersan might be the best option.

Omri Casspi can stretch the floor as a 3/4. Michael Beasley (lol) for a guy that can randomly get hot and go off.

Good call on Ersan being solid, forgot we had him lol. I like Johnson A LOT as a player, and I always bring up Motie because he's so young.

We will see what the market is, but McLemore and MCW would be worth having on the real cheap to see if we can mold their physical talents. Dedmon would be cool. Ian Clark is a guy I'd really like if Dorsey spends the year in the G-League.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wow . . . how depressing.

So with these types of players, what kind of team are you trying to assemble?  Just a bunch of stop-gap type players, or guys who may stick for 2 - 4 years?

We're almost better of bringing back last year's squad of bench players, than to add some of those guys.  And that's kind of sad.

You're not kidding, I didn't know that half of these guys were still playing in the league...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Wow . . . how depressing.

So with these types of players, what kind of team are you trying to assemble?  Just a bunch of stop-gap type players, or guys who may stick for 2 - 4 years?

We're almost better of bringing back last year's squad of bench players, than to add some of those guys.  And that's kind of sad.

Players aren't going to be tripping over themselves to play with Dennis and a bunch of 21 year old's.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, DBac said:

These are just supercheap roleplayers to flesh out the roster. Think like Javale McGee on the Warriors. 

I don't think this is a list of the best free agents. It is guys trying to ID FAs who will sign cheap and who have upside to really out perform their contract.

• Like 1

Is there actually such a thing as a cheap contract?  James Johnson will get paid this off season.  I bet something north of 12 million annually.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Alex said:

Is there actually such a thing as a cheap contract?  James Johnson will get paid this off season.  I bet something north of 12 million annually.  

There were some out there.  Just as two examples, Will Barton signed a 3 year, 10.6M deal and  Malcom Brogdon on 3 years for 3M.  Great deals for a 6th man and useful rotation player.

• Like 2

Almost no one you mentioned in the OP is a "moneyball" target.  DeMarre Carroll:  moneyball.  Bazemore: moneyball.  TH Jr.: moneyball-ish.

Moneyball = very undervalued + leads to a better team.  Right now, that would mean a young player we got cheap who Bud could transform in a year.

There are a few guys who may fit that description but none in the OP.  Make no mistake, the goal is not to be competitive until 2018-19.  In another year, Dennis starts encroaching upon his "prime years."  Prince will be a seasoned starting SF.  Collins will have had a year and may be ready to make some impact.  Ditto for Dorsey.  Who knows what next years picks (both possibly top-16) or damn close will yield--could be at least one ready-made rookie or used to trade for a veteran.

IMO, the way to look at things in through the spectrum that assumes we are ready to sacrifice a year and intend to try to blast off in  2018-19.

Edited by bumpyphish1

8 minutes ago, bumpyphish1 said:

Almost no one you mentioned in the OP is a "moneyball" target.  DeMarre Carroll:  moneyball.  Bazemore: moneyball.  TH Jr.: moneyball-ish.

Moneyball = very undervalued + leads to a better team.  Right now, that would mean a young player we got cheap who Bud could transform in a year.

There are a few guys who may fit that description but none in the OP.  Make no mistake, the goal is not to be competitive until 2018-19.  In another year, Dennis starts encroaching upon his "prime years."  Prince will be a seasoned starting SF.  Collins will have had a year and may be ready to make some impact.  Ditto for Dorsey.  Who knows what next years picks (both possibly top-16) or damn close will yield--could be at least one ready-made rookie or used to trade for a veteran.

IMO, the way to look at things in through the spectrum that assumes we are ready to sacrifice a year and intend to try to blast off in  2018-19.

Agree in principle, but I do not believe you have to sacrifice a year to do it.

33 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Agree in principle, but I do not believe you have to sacrifice a year to do it.

If you do not think Schlenk/Bud are willfully not prioritizing everything else over this coming season, you do not agree with me in principle.  Can you sign a "moneyball" player that doesn't take a year to develop?  Of course.  But, they'd prefer a cheaper/longer contract for someone who is better next year than a guy on a shorter and/or more costly deal that helps on the court this season.