• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Didn't Offer Millsap

HopefulHawksFan

1 minute ago, HopefulHawksFan said:

I can't see how you can say we aren't tanking when it seems so clear that we are.  I have remained optimistic with the new management, but this doesn't sit right with me.  

Braves 2.0, get ready for 5 years of crappy play with the hope that one day we will be a consistent playoff team like we are now.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Braves 2.0, get ready for 5 years of crappy play with the hope that one day we will be a consistent playoff team like we are now.

And like I said, the Braves would have continued to be sad and mediocre if they ran back that core. That 2013 season was NEVER EVER happening again. It was a fluke. 2014 wasn't.

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Watchman said:

We have such a classy organization.  Wow.  That is pathetic.  Even if you had no intention of re-signing him, at least express some thanks to the guy.  Unbelievable.

I don't think this is a sign they treated him with disrepspect.  I can see a scenario where they met with him and his agent during the hiatis and his agent expressed what he was looking for in a contract, the team expressed that this was outside of their comfort range and that they would support a sign and trade if he was sure that was the amount he wanted.  Under this scenario they may have told his agent that they would reengage if his number came down but that they weren't going to sign any free agent at that price and didn't want to disrespect him with a much lower number.  Sap's agent then went out, got what offers he could and landed the deal in Denver.

Now I don't think Schlenk should be doing all this while claiming the team isn't rebuilding (he should be saying that we have to rebuild but that we intend to compete) but if the direction he wants to go doesn't include Paul Millsap given his stage in his career, it is better for both sides if the Hawks let him go sign elsewhere.  No need to bring him here and win 42 games the next two seasons.  That would be the bigger insult to Paul and the fans.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I don't think this is a sign they treated him with disrepspect.  I can see a scenario where they met with him and his agent during the hiatis and his agent expressed what he was looking for in a contract, the team expressed that this was outside of their comfort range and that they would support a sign and trade if he was sure that was the amount he wanted.  Under this scenario they may have told his agent that they would reengage if his number came down but that they weren't going to sign any free agent at that price and didn't want to disrespect him with a much lower number.  Sap's agent then went out, got what offers he could and landed the deal in Denver.

Now I don't think Schlenk should be doing all this while claiming the team isn't rebuilding (he should be saying that we have to rebuild but that we intend to compete) but if the direction he wants to go doesn't include Paul Millsap given his stage in his career, it is better for both sides if the Hawks let him go sign elsewhere.  No need to bring him here and win 42 games the next two seasons.  That would be the bigger insult to Paul and the fans.

That is what he said. Ignore the word rebuild as that has a different meaning to everyone apparently and focus on the statement where he said we intend to compete for the playoffs in the last month of the season. With 40 million dollars and the roster only half full how can anyone judge whether or not we're going to be able to compete? 

• Like 3

• Premium Member

THis does speak to our lack of class.   This guy put in good work for us over the last few years.  We didn't make even a lowball offer.   We didn't even offer to help negotiate a trade.   It speaks volumes... when you add this and our other moves. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, swanlee said:

I don't follow the Braves but I've read they have one of the top farm systems in baseball and a lot of young talent at the major league level right now. Would that be such a terrible place for the Hawks to be? Would you not sacrifice 5 years of being smoked out of the playoffs to have a team with a bright future? 

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

That is what he said. Ignore the word rebuild as that has a different meaning to everyone apparently and focus on the statement where he said we intend to compete for the playoffs in the last month of the season. With 40 million dollars and the roster only half full how can anyone judge whether or not we're going to be able to compete? 

I can't.  I have to wait and see what the roster looks like before judging if he really plans on making the playoffs this season.  He has a lot of moves left to go before we are at the finished product.  That said, I've though we should be looking to the lottery this year and not the #15-17 pick so I'll be kind of pissed if he signs enough talent to win 42 games and make the playoffs.  Might as well have signed Sap if he plans to do that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Watchman said:

We have such a classy organization.  Wow.  That is pathetic.  Even if you had no intention of re-signing him, at least express some thanks to the guy.  Unbelievable.

Believe me I am NOT defending this organization, but I highly doubt it went down like that.  

Generally speaking I am sure the brain trust sat down or at least spoke to Paul and let him know that he wasn't in their plans moving forward and thanked him for being a great Hawks player.  

Edited by Alex
  • Like 2

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

THis does speak to our lack of class.   This guy put in good work for us over the last few years.  We didn't make even a lowball offer.   We didn't even offer to help negotiate a trade.   It speaks volumes... when you add this and our other moves. 

We absolutely and very publicly offered to help negotiate a trade.  If we decided we didn't want him back, this was the most we could do for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

Image result for miles plumlee suit

i'm competitive!

• Like 1

Just now, DBac said:

Like Dolf said, a lowball offer would've been just as disrespectful or even more lol. Remember Anna snapping at the Hawks offer to Al last year?

It wasn't even lowball though.  It was a very fair offer.  Generous in my opinion, considering how he didn't even play hard.