• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Where the Heck is Coach Bud??

Blunt91

7 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

LMBO, so you're saying Stevens is a top 3 coach and he and Bud have done the exact same thing (taking a team to the Eastern Conference Finals (even though Bud got 60 wins)).  Da fuq!?! Actually, if you go back to the 14 -15 season, you can find quotes where Stevens even stated he learned a lot from watching the Hawks and their ball movement and would incorporate that into his offense. 

My point is Steven hasn't won a championship and neither has Bud, but you're going to hate on our coach because their something better out there?.  I'm not saying Bud's perfect, but he's a damn good coach.  His coaching has seemed to decline with his staff getting dismantled and more responsibility as president.  He's putting his staff back together and he's no longer the President. I think we will see a better Bud going forward.

Please do not let ESPN and their bias towards any large market (especially Boston) skew your thinking on Brad Stevens.  He's a good coach who I'm not even sure is better than Bud, but that's debatable.  He definitely should not be in any top three when he hasn't won a championship.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Top 5 coaches in basketball:

1.  Pops

2.  Kerr

3.  Bud

4.  Brad

5.  Quinn

come on now...you have got to be kidding me.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

LMBO, so you're saying Stevens is a top 3 coach and he and Bud have done the exact same thing (taking a team to the Eastern Conference Finals (even though Bud got 60 wins)).  Da fuq!?! Actually, if you go back to the 14 -15 season, you can find quotes where Stevens even stated he learned a lot from watching the Hawks and their ball movement and would incorporate that into his offense. 

My point is Steven hasn't won a championship and neither has Bud, but you're going to hate on our coach because their something better out there?.  I'm not saying Bud's perfect, but he's a damn good coach.  His coaching has seemed to decline with his staff getting dismantled and more responsibility as president.  He's putting his staff back together and he's no longer the President. I think we will see a better Bud going forward.

Please do not let ESPN and their bias towards any large market (especially Boston) skew your thinking on Brad Stevens.  He's a good coach who I'm not even sure is better than Bud, but that's debatable.  He definitely should not be in any top three when he hasn't won a championship.

I think part of the appeal of Brad Stevens is the age. Like he can do this for a long, long time. I also really like Bud, but Stevens is like the wiz kid which the media will really like. If Bud was to leave, I'd want to get someone like that too. I don't want Bud to ever leave, as he is what made me a Hawks fan in the first place, but IF all this media silence from him is actually indicative of his future departure, I'd like to get someone like Stevens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CP61 said:

I think part of the appeal of Brad Stevens is the age. Like he can do this for a long, long time. I also really like Bud, but Stevens is like the wiz kid which the media will really like. If Bud was to leave, I'd want to get someone like that too. I don't want Bud to ever leave, as he is what made me a Hawks fan in the first place, but IF all this media silence from him is actually indicative of his future departure, I'd like to get someone like Stevens.

My point being if Stevens was lets say in New Orleans, you wouldn't hear about him as much because ESPN is making him out to be some great wizard. He's a good coach, I won't take that away from him, but he's not the second coming of John Wooden.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, marco102 said:

My point being if Stevens was lets say in New Orleans, you wouldn't hear about him as much because ESPN is making him out to be some great wizard. He's a good coach, I won't take that away from him, but he's not the second coming of John Wooden.

Any superstars on Boston?  Weren't they the #1 seed in the east?  Not 1 all star starter and their only reserve was a 5'9" player

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Bud had 4 all star, Boston 1

So Brad had less to work with because some coaches decided to put Horford on the allstar team because Chris Bosh Couldn't go and Korver on the allstar team because Dwayne Wade was injured.  I also believe Teague was put on the team because of an injury to someone too.  

My point is you shit on Bud at every opportunity in almost EVERY thread and then turn around and act like Brad Stevens is a top 3 coach. Brad Stevens has not taken his team any further than Bud.  So why do you hate Bud so much and love Brad Stevens so much?  The Celtics fans complain about Steven's rotations and in game adjustments just like Buds.  So why is Stevens so much better than Bud and why do you want Bud as the coach fired?

• Like 1

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Bud had 4 all star, Boston 1

Well both had Al so we will keep him out of this. Millsap, Teague, and Korver weren't even close to allstars before Bud got his hands on them. I think we forget that the players on that team were all elevated when Bud got here. After that 60 win year, people acted like we were underachieving.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, marco102 said:

So Brad had less to work with because some coaches decided to put Horford on the allstar team because Chris Bosh Couldn't go and Korver on the allstar team because Dwayne Wade was injured.  I also believe Teague was put on the team because of an injury to someone too.  

My point is you shit on Bud at every opportunity in almost EVERY thread and then turn around and act like Brad Stevens is a top 3 coach. Brad Stevens has not taken his team any further than Bud.  So why do you hate Bud so much and love Brad Stevens so much?  The Celtics fans complain about Steven's rotations and in game adjustments just like Buds.  So why is Stevens so much better than Bud and why do you want Bud as the coach fired?

1st of all, never said a thing about Stevens until you asked whether he was better than Bud.  Secondly, if he is involved in anyway in managing the team which i think he is, he is light years better than Bud as a GM.

Now, Why do I criticize Bud?  Where do I start?  Lets just take last year.  1st of all Bud was involved in bringing Howard to Atlanta and then decides not to use him in the playoffs?  Bud love affair with Muscala is bizarre at best. His hate for Humphries is ridiculous so why does he keep resigning him?  Bud plays Delaney heavy minutes during the regular season and waits to the end of the season to sour on him.  Bud rarely played Baze at point during the season but experiments with it during critical games in the playoffs?  Refused to incorporate Calderon in the 1st 2 games of the playoff when clearly turnovers decided both games??  I can keep going on and on but I want to make this a dialogue so I'll stop and await your response

I'll put it this way.  Mike Budenholzer with this team last year won 43 games.  You give Brad Stevens that roster, and the team probably wins 35 games.  Bud maximizes the talent he has on his roster.  The 60 win team was a thing of beauty from a coaching standpoint and shows what you can get when you have players who are willing to put the team before themselves.  And Dwight was a Tony Ressler move, not a Bud move.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

1st of all, never said a thing about Stevens until you asked whether he was better than Bud.  Secondly, if he is involved in anyway in managing the team which i think he is, he is light years better than Bud as a GM.

That's just opinion and not fact. I'm pretty sure Danny Ainge has full control of that team.  So just stop there.

Now I will not dispute you on GM Bud's decisions because they were questionable.  GM Bud should not be compared to coach Bud.

1st of all Bud was involved in bringing Howard to Atlanta and then decides not to use him in the playoffs? Bud took Howard out in the playoffs when he was ineffective in the pick and roll on both ends and needed better offense in the fourth quarter.  Would you rather watch Washington hack a Howard and watch him make 1 of 2 free throws? 

Bud love affair with Muscala is bizarre at best.  Agreed,  I found that relationship strange. However, Moose has way more offensive potential than Howard.  He sucked on defense so who was the other option?

His hate for Humphries is ridiculous so why does he keep resigning him? He didn't hate Humphries, look at Humphries plus minus and advanced stats and you'll see he was good for short periods and if he played longer he became a liability.

Bud plays Delaney heavy minutes during the regular season and waits to the end of the season to sour on him.  A coach has to show confidence in his players for his players to play confidently.  Once the Hawks got a better option in Calderon, that's when Bud went away from Delaney.

Bud rarely played Baze at point during the season but experiments with it during critical games in the playoffs? Bud actually gave Baze and Hardaway plenty of pt duties during the regular season, maybe you just noticed it during the playoffs.  It worked out more than not when he did it too.  Baze just shat the bed in the playoffs.   Mind you I criticized Bud for leaving Baze in to blow the playoff games. Me from my sofa can yell about a lot of decisions in hindsight. 

Refused to incorporate Calderon in the 1st 2 games of the playoff when clearly turnovers decided both games??  You act like this was an easy decision.  Calderon has been getting abused on the defensive end all his career.  So you put him in to calm down turnovers which may or may not have worked because the PG position wasn't  causing the turnovers, but who's to say that Washington doesn't score even more.

Again, even if you think Bud is the 11th best coach in the league, why would you fire him? 15 is average and you're still saying he's above average.   GM Bud has been terminated.  Now I say let's see what coach Bud can do in the next few years with a lot of young talent. If the talent comes from the lottery, it will have a lot of upside.

Also, we've all been around long enough to know you don't like Bud.  Will you please create a thread that says I hate Bud and post all your Bud hate there? There's literally no thread where you don't bring up our above average coach ,in your opinion not mine, and shit on him.  If you could do a better job, I'm sure you'd be in his position.

Edited by marco102
  • Like 3

I do and you know what, Mike Smith didn't show a talent for developing players like Quinn has.  You know what Bud has done. He's shown that he can develop scrubs into decent NBA players.  Now that we appear to be tanking, I'd like to see how he can develop a few young players with real upside.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I do and you know what, Mike Smith didn't show a talent for developing players like Quinn has.  You know what Bud has done. He's shown that he can develop scrubs into decent NBA players.  Now that we appear to be tanking, I'd like to see how he can develop a few young players with real upside.

Wouldn't it be great if we found our Dan Quinn for the Hawks?  Someone that could identify a players strengths and us it to help the team as a whole as oppose to have this rigid system that require a certain type of player?  What I mean is that a perfect Bud player would have to possess so many offensive skills to be successful only a few players will help the team win.  Deandre Jordan would be useless on a Bud coached team.

• Like 1