• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Familiar name to start the nominations for this 3rd PG our GM wants to sign?

sturt

Hawks should definitely claim this Jackson kid off waivers and sign him for 3-4 years.  Looks like a really nice cheap backup who could be ready in a year.  Delaney walks then, and we have Schröder, Jackson, and Bembry at less cost.  Go sign KCP next offseason if he's commanding around this offseason's  value.  Use every trade asset to get a superstar player or elite center over the course of a year.  We're building a good little stockpile of players and assets.  Cheap, good young players on good deals.  Harris is only on the market because the Celtics have ridiculous talent/assets and they should have made another deal before now.  Jackson looks like he has the makings to be a fine backup in a year on a rookie deal.   

Edited by bumpyphish1

• Premium Member

Big red flag to me whenever a player is dealt so many times so early in his career. It sets me up to think it's another Sebastian Telfair thing--chronic underachiever, and never developing. That's how I've begun to think about Ennis.

But my mantra this year will be, it's the Colonel's honeymoon, and any talent judgments he makes, I'm going to nod my head in agreement for now.

Of him, Jackson and Cook, I'm probably most interested in Quinn Cook at the moment b/c he's gotten some minutes with the Pels big club, and b/c I've seen him play the minutes that I just saw him play vs. our SL team. He had it all going--shooting, passing, decision-making, and he's just so quick. I say that, knowing that because our PG couldn't keep up with him, it inherently made him look even better than he is.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, GameTime said:

What about Derrick Rose? He is still available.

Fun thought.

Have to think he's only considering teams who consider something more than 30-ish wins "competitive," though.

I'm actually willing to give Delaney a second year to show something.   DMC, Baze, and THjr all broke out in year two.   Delaney can shot he has shown it other places but he has to be comfortable in the system and not thinking but reacting and shooting in a natural flow.   The lack of movement on a third PG makes me think that the Hawks are still pretty high on him and letting Bembry handle the ball more this year.   That being said i really wish one of the Vet points were a better locker room presence.   We need someone that wants to teach and help develop not a chucker or a malcontent.  

Maybe CJ Miles or Norris Cole could play that coach on the floor in practice and teach some veteran tricks to our younger players.   Neither would give us much if anything on the floor though. 

If we go after another young Ennis all the way

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, ThomasCredle said:

The lack of movement on a third PG makes me think that the Hawks are still pretty high on him and letting Bembry handle the ball more this year.

Schlenk specified that he is expecting to sign a 3rd PG during his Q&A with C-Viv last week.

Just now, sturt said:

Schlenk specified that he is expecting to sign a 3rd PG during his Q&A with C-Viv last week.

I have no doubt we are going to sign another PG, hopefully a vet that wants to teach and help develop our young players.   The point I was trying to make was the Hawks didn't seem to make signing that third PG an early priority in FA.  Since they seemed content to wait out the market I felt it could show they have confidence in what we have and didn't feel they had to go get an immediate upgrade early when the most talent was available.

• Premium Member

I can buy that, @ThomasCredle. And, then, when you basically are replacing your entire frontcourt, that naturally is going to top the priority list.

But I think there's some belief among the coaching staff that Delaney's first year was an aberration, with him getting acclimated to the new environment, and particularly where his shooting was concerned. He's never shot as bad as he shot last season, college or Euro. He's certainly capable of better on that front. But I'm more interested to see if he can play team ball. Very little evidence of that in highlight clips that I've seen from his Euro days. I can easily see him improving in scoring, but getting replaced as the #2 nonetheless if the #2 exceeds his play in terms of sharing the ball and in terms of D.

9 minutes ago, sturt said:

I can buy that, @ThomasCredle. And, then, when you basically are replacing your entire frontcourt, that naturally is going to top the priority list.

But I think there's some belief among the coaching staff that Delaney's first year was an aberration, with him getting acclimated to the new environment, and particularly where his shooting was concerned. He's never shot as bad as he shot last season, college or Euro. He's certainly capable of better on that front. But I'm more interested to see if he can play team ball. Very little evidence of that in highlight clips that I've seen from his Euro days. I can easily see him improving in scoring, but getting replaced as the #2 nonetheless if the #2 exceeds his play in terms of sharing the ball and in terms of D.

I think that is spot on analysis of the questions and concerns with Delaney as the primary back up point guard.   I really think he will shot better but I question his ability to manage the offense.  I hope a year of experience.  I also don't remember that being a strength from his VT days.   He will have to really reduce turn overs and panic plays as well.   It looks like he is going to get a shot to earn major minutes this year lets hope he takes advantage of it and this time next year we are talking about our solid depth at PG!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, AHF said:

Can't imagine too many players I'd want less as far as establishing a culture for our young players.  Off the court mess.

True, but I do think a given team can have such a pervasive positive culture that just the wrong player at just the right time can enter the picture and can get himself in a better condition than what he was before, and help advance the overall team.

Operative words: "can" and "just the right time."

I too would not be one to take that chance, though.

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, sturt said:

True, but I do think a given team can have such a pervasive positive culture that just the wrong player at just the right time can enter the picture and can get himself in a better condition than what he was before, and help advance the overall team.

Operative words: "can" and "just the right time."

I too would not be one to take that chance, though.

Timing is key too.  You take a risk on an older bad apple when trying to win "now."  Zero upside for a young team a couple years away.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'm with you on that. Then again, I also think it's important to bear in mind that there are degrees of bad apple. Rose, for all his baggage, would not keep me up at night actually. As you suggest it's more, "why even bother when there's no real reward to be had."

• Moderators
1 minute ago, sturt said:

I'm with you on that. Then again, I also think it's important to bear in mind that there are degrees of bad apple. Rose, for all his baggage, would not keep me up at night actually. As you suggest it's more, "why even bother when there's no real reward to be had."

Having read his comments and behavior in his recent rape case (where he was ultimately not guilty), he would be the type of player I would be very worried about having a corrosive influence on younger guys. Seems to have some serious problems and to be out of touch with reality even if you believe his account.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, AHF said:

Having read his comments and behavior in his recent rape case (where he was ultimately not guilty), he would be the type of player I would be very worried about having a corrosive influence on younger guys. Seems to have some serious problems and to be out of touch with reality even if you believe his account.

I'm glad you posted this so I don't have to. Keep Rose as far away form the young guys as possible. 'Corrosive' isn't a strong enough word to describe the effect he could have on our younger players.