• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we move Ersan or Belinelli for draft picks /young prospects

Wurider05

14 hours ago, AHF said:

Agreed.  Most will crap out so the overall odds are bad  but take your long-shots because there are always some Paul Millsap type picks in the second (guys who significiantly exceed their projections to outperform most of the first rounders).

Dramond Green was also a high 2nd round choice and Schlenk was in GS when they got him. I would not be surprised if we find a way to move at least one of those two for a 2nd rounder (or two). 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Dramond Green was also a high 2nd round choice and Schlenk was in GS when they got him. I would not be surprised if we find a way to move at least one of those two for a 2nd rounder (or two). 

Still hoping for a protected first from a package but we'll see.  (Something like we give them a useful vet and they give us a first and a useless expiring).

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 12/30/2017 at 10:21 AM, frosgrim said:

We have like 5 1st round picks in the upcoming draft.  An additional 2nd round pick won't add any value to this draft class.

On 12/30/2017 at 5:27 PM, AHF said:

Still hoping for a protected first from a package but we'll see.  (Something like we give them a useful vet and they give us a first and a useless expiring).

You think we can get a 1st for Belli? 

• Moderators
12 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

I guess if we could get a first for Korver, then Belli might get us one. I'm skeptical, but stranger trades have happened. 

As I just posted elsewhere, I'd rather have Belli now than Korver last year.  Belli has a nice 4 years of play ahead of him before age really undermines what he does well (most likely by defensive liabilities outstripping the value of his perimeter shooting).

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

I think we could but we'll have to take back some bad salary

After a quick play with the Trade Machine, there probably some not totally bad salary trades that could be made- the Bucks have some young guys that we could take on instead of a first rounder (DJ Wilson for example). 

For a first rounder, NO could use Belli, but we'd probably have to take back Asik's 3 year deal (blech). So, this probably isn't the best idea, but could net a first this year, and something in a following year.

Indiana could send us Joe Young for Belli (they could really use Belli). 

2 hours ago, frosgrim said:

After a quick play with the Trade Machine, there probably some not totally bad salary trades that could be made- the Bucks have some young guys that we could take on instead of a first rounder (DJ Wilson for example). 

For a first rounder, NO could use Belli, but we'd probably have to take back Asik's 3 year deal (blech). So, this probably isn't the best idea, but could net a first this year, and something in a following year.

Indiana could send us Joe Young for Belli (they could really use Belli). 

Asik's deal isn't fully guaranteed 3rd year, FWIW

13 minutes ago, TheFuzz said:

Asik's deal isn't fully guaranteed 3rd year, FWIW

Well, then this might be a good match, if the P's want to boost their bench.  With Cousin's deal coming up, they need to show they are interested in winning now to get him to resign, I think. 

7 hours ago, AHF said:

We might be able to get multiple picks for giving up useful players and taking on a bad salary as well.  I'd love an unprotected first from NO that is a few years down the line.  They could be abysmal in 3 years if things break the wrong way for them.

I honestly think that's what we should focus: filtering our cap into future picks (read: 2019 and beyond) through taking on some bad salary. That's how Boston got where they are. The more future picks we get, the less we have to worry about tanking, other teams can do it for us. We should be ringing up the Wiz and the Pelicans daily.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/248576/Hawks-Seeking-High-2nd-Rounder-For-Marco-Belinelli-Ersan-Ilyasova

The Atlanta Hawks are open to trading either Marco Belinelli or Ersan Ilyasova with a high second round pick their asking price.

Belinelli and Ilyasova are both making a little over $6 million this season.

The Hawks will likely finish the 17-18 season with one of the worst records in the NBA.

MICHAEL SCOTTO/BASKETBALL INSIDERS

TAGS: ERSAN ILYASOVA, MARCO BELINELLI, ATLANTA HAWKS, NBA, NBA TRADE RUMOR, NBA MISC RUMOR

I called it!!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

We need more than second round picks. Those picks are frankly almost useless. It is very rare you get a player that sticks in the NBA with a second round pick. If we can't get a first for them then I would insist the other team take at least one of our bad contracts in a trade. Get rid of Bazemore and Plumless if the only return is a worthless second rounder.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Sothron said:

We need more than second round picks. Those picks are frankly almost useless. It is very rare you get a player that sticks in the NBA with a second round pick. If we can't get a first for them then I would insist the other team take at least one of our bad contracts in a trade. Get rid of Bazemore and Plumless if the only return is a worthless second rounder.

When push comes to shove, I'll take the second round picks, even if they're useless.  Teams just aren't going to give alot for a rental.  Besides, I'd rather give more time to the younger players and lock in a top four selection rather than have those guys hang around and potentially play us out of one.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

When push comes to shove, I'll take the second round picks, even if they're useless.  Teams just aren't going to give alot for a rental.  Besides, I'd rather give more time to the younger players and lock in a top four selection rather than have those guys hang around and potentially play us out of one.

What if your market is teams like San Antonio or Boston do you want More Euro-forever stash with those late 2nd rounders?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jody23 said:

Yes, if your choices are nothing in return versus a worthless second rounder you would take the second rounder. I would hope we can get more than that. I would much rather dump Plumless and Bazemore if the only compensation is second round pick(s). That has a far higher value IMO than hoping against hope that some second round pick might pan out.

Or frankly that our owners don't turn around and sell it as we have a history of doing.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Peoriabird said:

What if your market is teams like San Antonio or Boston do you want More Euro-forever stash with those late 2nd rounders?

The second round picks or whatever the Hawks were to get in exchange for Marco and Ersan isn't nearly as important as protecting the position of the first round pick this year.  Those guys aren't likely to be back in Atlanta next year anyway, so I'm not really concerned with the return. The Hawks should be concerned about those guys potentially hurting their draft position in an already lost season.

• Moderators

The asset we gave up to acquire Ilyasova was a......(drumroll please)......second round pick.  They can be traded for assets down the line and can be sources of low % gambles like Sap, Jordan Bell, Manu, Arenas, etc.

• Like 2