• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's DeAndre' Bembry's potential like?

NBASupes

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

For the PER, that might be the case. There are quite a few with terrible FG% especially who shoots a lot of jumpers like Donovan Mitchell who is the best example but this is the only player I seen in Reddish FG% range: http://www.tankathon.com/players/malachi-richardson

Reddish shot 77% jumpshots but his low percentages around the basket was a major red flag for me even as a Duke fan. For now with the Hawks, it's not as big of a deal. It proved what I though which is he is a much better finisher than what he showed at Duke but his ability to finish is traffic being poor is very real. He needs a lot of development. 

His offense is so bad, you have to start comparing him to HS players and raw internationals because it's clear, he wasn't at a college draftable level on offense this year. Compared to those guys, here is so far this season who he stacks up well to: Dennis Schröder, Rashard Lewis, Lou Williams, Jon Bender, DeShawn Stevenson, and Dorell Wright. 

Note this can change... For better or worse. I think better to be honest. 

Let's go 1 by 1. 

Dennis Schröder - Barely played. 41 games. Raw as ever. Showed flashes of skill. Lacked polish. Made a substantial jump in Year 2. Once he broke into the starting lineup, really stop making jumps. Having his best season this year with the Thunder at 26 years old. 

Rashard Lewis - Extremely small sample size so it's hard to use it. He had a major jump in the 2nd year and just kept improving each year till 30. He was of the best volume shooters in the NBA in his prime. If Cam follows his path, it's would be great as Lewis became a solid #2 option and even went to the NBA Finals. Cam defense is miles better right now than Lewis at it's peak so we will see. 

Lou Williams - It took Lou a year to adjust to the NBA but once he did, he was an instant bucket. Lou's best period was with the Lakers and struggled with the Hawks. Lou like Lewis didn't have much of a sample size. 

Jon Bender - This is the player Cam has to avoid.  While he made improvements, it was still awful and he never became an effective player. While Cam defense is a saving grace, this is a comparison you want to avoid. 

DeShawn Stevenson - A player who probably shouldn't have been drafted. Never became more than an average player. Considering the era, it was easier for his to make it in this league than now doing what he did then. . 

Dorell Wright - A player who most mirrors Cam at this time is Wright but his sample size is small till his 3rd year so it's not really a good comparison at all. 

No superstars from HS measure well. Giannis measured better offensively right now compared to the end of the season for Giannis. The best offensive careers of the players on the list are Lewis, Schröder and Williams. The player with the most similar score was Wright but the sample size was a joke till his 3rd year while the others was at least more realistic. 

As for PER this year, for his class, many players drafted behind him have worse PER's but above him, Culver has a worse PER. 

What's my take? Nothing right now. Sample size too small. 

Lol Jarret Culver played in 4 games.

EDT: NVM. Was looking at the wrong page. However, Culver's PER was over 25 last year. Been looking through the entire draft and haven't found anyone with a worse PER than Cam's 13.6

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Lol Jarret Culver played in 4 games.

EDT: NVM. Was looking at the wrong page. However, Culver's PER was over 25 last year. Been looking through the entire draft and haven't found anyone with a worse PER than Cam's 13.6

I've looked at some guys with stinker college careers and haven't found anyone with a PER from college that low either. 

6 minutes ago, AHF said:

I've looked at some guys with stinker college careers and haven't found anyone with a PER from college that low either. 

His biggest college killers was horrendous FG% 2FG% which is still horrible. Right now, he would be last by 60 points over last year's winner (Knox) and his insanely low rebounding which I accurately predicted was bullshit as Duke needed him to get back on Defense due to the players around him.

His rebounding is what's holding his per up from being in the negatives. Averaging 6.6 per36. That's extremely good for a rookie wing. If he was shooting at his Duke level. He would have an excellent PER. Right now. He is shooting much much worse.

Edited by NBASupes

• Moderators
1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

His biggest college killers was horrendous FG% 2FG% which is still horrible. Right now, he would be last by 60 points over last year's winner and his insanely low rebounding which I accurately predicted was bullshit as Duke needed him to get back on Defense due to the players around him.

His rebounding is what's holding his per up from being in the negatives. Averaging 6.6 per36. That's extremely good for a rookie wing.

A 6.6 is extremely good for a rookie wing?  Ehhh....not on board with that one.  Double digits is more of a baseline for a good rookie wing PER number for me.

1 hour ago, Atlantaholic said:

I believe it was stated on draft night that Cam had the worst PER for any player drafted since PER had been tracked for college players. 

Pretty sure no player has made the NBA after posting a 35% FG season in college.  

The narrative is that he didn't have adequate spacing. I'm a believer that good players find a way.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

The narrative is that he didn't have adequate spacing. I'm a believer that good players find a way.

Spacing and was hurt.  Maybe the injury just masked a problem that would have been there anyway but he definitely couldn't make up for the bad floor spacing with the way he was able to play last year.

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

His biggest college killers was horrendous FG% 2FG% which is still horrible. Right now, he would be last by 60 points over last year's winner (Knox) and his insanely low rebounding which I accurately predicted was bullshit as Duke needed him to get back on Defense due to the players around him.

His rebounding is what's holding his per up from being in the negatives. Averaging 6.6 per36. That's extremely good for a rookie wing. If he was shooting at his Duke level. He would have an excellent PER. Right now. He is shooting much much worse.

6.6 PER is not "extremely good" for a rookie wing, That's probably around close to dead last among any qualifying player rookie or otherwise. It's a super small sample size though, and with how bad he's shooting you figure it will go up since he can't fathomably shoot any worse. 

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

6.6 PER is not "extremely good" for a rookie wing, That's probably around close to dead last among any qualifying player rookie or otherwise. It's a super small sample size though, and with how bad he's shooting you figure it will go up since he can't fathomably shoot any worse. 

6.6 ain't his per, its his rebounds per36. His PER right now is worse than that.

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

A 6.6 is extremely good for a rookie wing?  Ehhh....not on board with that one.  Double digits is more of a baseline for a good rookie wing PER number for me.

6.6 rebounds per36 is an excellent number for a rookie wing. As for PER, for someone with Cam game and style of play, I want 12-14 PER as a rookie. Right now Cam is right above 1.

Edited by NBASupes

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

Spacing and was hurt.  Maybe the injury just masked a problem that would have been there anyway but he definitely couldn't make up for the bad floor spacing with the way he was able to play last year.

He is showing a lot more right now than he showed at Duke. Regardless of how raw he looks doing it

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

6.6 rebounds per36 is an excellent number for a rookie wing. As for PER, for someone with Cam game and style of play, I want 12-14 PER as a rookie. Right now Cam is right above 1.

12-14 is really outstanding from a rookie wing.  Huert was just over 10.  Paul George was a 13.

6.6 is solid but not special for a rookie wing per36 because you are talking per 36.  

It puts him the middle of the pack for wings from this class:

RJ Barrett 6.4

Rui 7.6

Cam Johnson 9.0

Herro 6.5

NAW 7.2

Small sample sizes all around but fine start on the boards.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AHF said:

12-14 is really outstanding from a rookie wing.  Huert was just over 10.  Paul George was a 13.

6.6 is solid but not special for a rookie wing per36 because you are talking per 36.  

It puts him the middle of the pack for wings from this class:

RJ Barrett 6.4

Rui 7.6

Cam Johnson 9.0

Herro 6.5

NAW 7.2

Small sample sizes all around but fine start on the boards.

It is, 12-14 is a great line. Especially if you end up getting real minutes. Doesn't mean much if you barely play of course. 

Don't think anyone will care about this back and forth stuff a year from now. Cam putting up numbers in whatever and possibly every category will be incredibly effective in wins for us. Where as Josh was a great talent and yet a great tease in the end, I do believe Cam is quite different. He will clean up his handles and he will most likely see All Star minutes over time. The biggest difference will be in the last two minutes of games moving forward because thats where "almost greats" get exposed. Just mentioned one but that list is much longer than many realize. 

• Like 3

Now that I seen what I needed to see from Cam and DeAndre. 

Cam defensively, the sky is the limit. He can be as good as any wing before him. I honestly compare him to Lonzo Ball as a rookie but smarter, better lateral quickness, longer, more agile, taller, more standing reach, just much better and Ball was and is a freakish defense player. 

DeAndre reminds me defensively of Al Horford but the wing version. Always in the right spot. High BBIQ. Does the little things. Not a risk taker at all but extremely discipline. Can switch all positions except true center. Won't put up appealing stats but just polished and good at so many little things. Special defender. 

Cam offensively is HS prep to pros level raw. For me potentially, he is special on the offensive end but the play I feel he should study is Brandon Roy. Similar type game. Obviously he is far from Roy as a rookie but Roy was a 4 year senior, Cam was a 1 and done. 

Hunter like on defense, he reminds me most of  a wing version of Horford on offense. Not so sure he will be seen as valuable by the fans but he will be by me. 

Edited by NBASupes
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, NBASupes said:

Brandon Roy.

That 2006 draft I remember us working out Rondo, Foye and Marcus Williams all together in the same day. I’m so mad about that Shelden promise. 🤦‍♀️ 

I see Cam as pretty and smooth as PG13 and TMac.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

That 2006 draft I remember us working out Rondo, Foye and Marcus Williams all together in the same day. I’m so mad about that Shelden promise. 🤦‍♀️ 

Heck, Rondo wasn't even taken till #21 that year. All kinds of different moves could have been made with our own #5. Another one of those too frequent Hawk's memories from yesteryear. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Cam is as smooth as anyone who played the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After 5 games I think we should bring Cam slowly on 2nd unit and start Huerter. Cam might be smooth and a good defender but he is really struggling on offense and if he keeps playing like that it might affect his confidence going forward. It would be easier for him to perform against 2nd units.