• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The State of Georgia Sports Chokers

Lurker

For those wondering why I'm not mad at the Hawks giving up and tanking, see the national title game. I'd rather be a bunch of losers than constantly have your heart ripped out over and over again. This state will never allow for a winner, so why ever bother? 

Would y’all stop with this state crap. Has nothing to do with anything. Two novice coaches took extremely good teams up against extremely good teams with legendary coaches. They’ll learn and be back 

I don't feel nearly as bad about the Georgia loss. It still sucks a whole lot, but it was a much closer game and Bama was pretty much better across the board. The main frustrations were not wrapping up the Bama freshman (not gonna try his name) on that 3rd down and then losing another damn OT coin toss. That's 3 in a row in these massive games. Next season might be a step back with so much veteran talent leaving, but Kirby's recruiting classes are insane. 

15 hours ago, High5 said:

I don't feel nearly as bad about the Georgia loss. It still sucks a whole lot, but it was a much closer game and Bama was pretty much better across the board. The main frustrations were not wrapping up the Bama freshman (not gonna try his name) on that 3rd down and then losing another damn OT coin toss. That's 3 in a row in these massive games. Next season might be a step back with so much veteran talent leaving, but Kirby's recruiting classes are insane. 

Definitely won’t be a step back. Offensive line will be a lot better across the board. Dline is brining everybody back except Atkins while bringing in some crazy talent. Secondary will be much more talented but not as experienced but I think the effectiveness of the line will help them anyway. Now losing Roquan will hurt absolutely but the collective talent on defense will make up for that. And while carter and Bellamy are great players I truly feel like Walker will have a better season than anyone do them did next year. And the depth that we have to play on the other side will be more than enough. Anderson, Cox, Ojulari, Beal...they will be fine. And the receivers and TEs are mostly coming back while again adding better talent. Chubb and Michel will be missed but Swift, Zeus, Cook, Holyfield etc will definitely have the talent to make up for that and the line being better and having a more experienced qb will make it easier for them. 

• Moderators

I've resolved myself to watching our teams without expectation.  That's what gets you: expecting our teams to live up to the hype... then they choke every single time.  Hell, even my Predators choked in the Stanley Cup last year, getting shut out in the last two games and giving up 8 goals between the two games. Maybe it's me, IDK.

Atlanta/Georgia sports: "We give you hope only to let you down."

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 hours ago, High5 said:

I am much more frustrated by the blown call on the blocked punt and missed facemask than I am about the 3rd down and coin flip.  Definitely bad luck on the coin flip but losing 4 in a row against OK and AL is only 1/16 odds.  Bad break but not the end of the world.

The blocked punt would have taken possession in the red zone for almost certainly more points on the board.  The facemask would have extended the drive, given better field position even if the drive ended up stalling, and would have kept the defense off the field that much longer.  Combined the two blown calls gave Alabama a big boost of momentum - giving them possession on a short field when UGA would have been able to put points on the board in the first instance and pin them back with another 20+ yards of field position on the second.

I got a bad feeling in my gut at that point that Alabama was going to be on a roll.  That 3rd down hits some of those same notes but that was ultimately Georgia's fault for failing to wrap him up.  The missed calls were outside of UGA's control and set a whole different tone for the second half.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Atlanta/Georgia sports: "We give you hope only to let you down."

I think of it with a bit more of a Trent Reznor / Johnny Cash vibe:

"I will let you down, I will make you hurt."

• Like 1

There's no consoling me. I'm sorry. When there's another time, it's going to be "What will go wrong for this Georgia sports team this time? Instead of being about how good the team is."

And the teams will likely comply. The next time will likely be a high scoring Atlanta United team losing on an own goal in the playoffs. Then Georgia will be back to top 5 level nationwide in 2019, but Alabama will have a very experienced offense with a wealth of talent and a probable Heisman contender/winner at QB and as we've seen so many times with the pattern that has gone on since the Yankees choke, it will not be close the second time. And on and on.

• Moderators

This is exactly the kind of article I expect to see repeating for Atlanta sports.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/falcons-eagles-atlanta-looks-take-hobbled-philadelphia-180030320.html

Analyzes the actual game but then throws in references to inevitable heartbreak for Georgia fans and references several times the Falcons and Georgia's come from ahead losses.