• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, hawkman said:

Please don't speak this into existence. Georgia sports fans have had enough disappointment over the past few years. If the Cavs get the 1st pick(again) and the Hawks end up getting the worst possible pick they could get, I'm taking a break from sports.

I hate to be somebody that believes that this is rigged, but Cleveland got LeBron and then got enough top picks to move those players when he was ready to return. They missed on guys like Bennet, but they had the pick. It just seems weird..

• Like 2

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, cam1218 said:

I hate to be somebody that believes that this is rigged, but Cleveland got LeBron and then got enough top picks to move those players when he was ready to return. They missed on guys like Bennet, but they had the pick. It just seems weird..

The Cavs had crazy 'luck' and a blatant tank job to build up their assets to attract LeBron back.  Flipped a top pick for Love, hit on Irving and added depth and trade assets with the other picks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KB21 said:

Philly is the envy of the league?  

OK.  A team that is going to hover around a 0.500 winning percentage 5 years into their rebuild is the envy of the league.  Got you.  

I didn't say Philly was the envy of the league; I said their core was.  I mean that very specifically--few teams have two players as young and as talented as Embiid and Simmons, and they should have something in Fultz.  It's taken Philly a while to get mostly healthy, and Simmons is still just 21 and Fultz is still hurt.  And guess what--there are only 2 teams in the east that are clearly better than they are (they actually have the third best point differential).  Next year, they should be a force.   I am very envious of what Philly has right now, and I hope that we could have such a bright future in a few years.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, AHF said:

The Cavs had crazy 'luck' and a blatant tank job to build up their assets to attract LeBron back.  Flipped a top pick for Love, hit on Irving and added depth and trade assets with the other picks.

Going off memory, I feel like they were about the 7th worst team when they got Wiggins. I remember thinking they were a team that could sneak into the 8th seed in the East at some point that year.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, CBAreject said:

It’s so frustrating to have all of these teams so close, it makes it hard to enjoy occasional wins. I wish they’d do something crazy and have a single elemination or best of three tournament to decide who gets the top pick. 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2018 at 7:00 PM, Diesel said:

Until, they lose those players to FAcy.. because those players want an opportunity to win.

They have control of Embiid until 2023, control of Simmons until 2025. . They're in the playoffs right now and neither of those guys are in their primes.

And if Fultz gets his confidence back they have him until 2026

:ohmy:

edit: And they'll be able to offer a supermax to all of those guys to entice them to stay.

Edited by DBac
  • Like 3

On 2/17/2018 at 0:36 PM, DBac said:

They have control of Embiid until 2023, control of Simmons until 2025. . They're in the playoffs right now and neither of those guys are in their primes.

edit: And they'll be able to offer a supermax to all of those guys to entice them to stay.

AND they have the lakers pick potentially this year.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2018 at 11:36 AM, DBac said:

Of course you’re right, but honestly, it’s just sour grapes. People who have spent the last 2 decades railing against tanking can’t bear to see the most shameless example of it work out so amazingly well.  The Hawks have never truly committed to tanking.  The worst example was finally getting the #3 pick, using it on Gasol, and then trading him for mediocrity (SAR).  Babcock loved trading away high picks—he shipped two of them for Lorenzen Wright (RIP).  That mentality, though, won’t die.  So many fans would trade a chance at a contender for a 44-win team that gets bounced in the first round.  They’re entitled to that preference; I just don’t understand it.  

Edited by CBAreject
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, phoostal said:

They don't have that pick, it went to the Celtics part of the Fultz trade

Nope only if it falls between 2-5. 1 or 6-30 goes to goes to 76ers  https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed but it is okay to be wrong sometimes I mean you are a Stars fan.

Edited by davis171
  • Like 3

Speaking of tanking, you can take Trae Young off of my wish list.  He has wilted under the pressure, and frankly, is being exposed by more athletic PGs.  As soon as teams made a commitment to stop him, he's become a very mediocre inefficient player.   Last night soured me all the way on him.  I'd rather for him to try to make an impact on the game, than to simply let his team die.  He showed no fight out there at all.  His "swag" is gone.

Put me on the Bagley / Doncic train, I guess.  I'll even take Collin Sexton, if we fall to 3 - 5.

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 3

• Moderators
1 hour ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Speaking of tanking, you can take Trae Young off of my wish list.  He has wilted under the pressure, and frankly, is being exposed by more athletic PGs.  As soon as teams made a commitment to stop him, he's become a very mediocre inefficient player.   Last night soured me all the way on him.  I'd rather for him to try to make an impact on the game, than to simply let his team die.  He showed no fight out there at all.  His "swag" is gone.

Put me on the Bagley / Doncic train, I guess.  I'll even take Collin Sexton, if we fall to 3 - 5.

If we get Sexton or Young I won't be happy at all on day 1.

• Like 4

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I'm assuming you would be o.k. with young at pick 23 or 29

Absolutely OK with that.  That would be a steal despite my misgivings about fit with Young.  I am just talking about our top pick with that comment.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AHF said:

If we get Sexton or Young I won't be happy at all on day 1.

Yeah I 100% agree I have Ayton and Doncic really high. I like Bagley but a little worried with how bad Duke has been on defense with him in. I really think Bamba has a nice floor as well as JJJ and really want to see Porter play.

• Like 1