• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

In what fantasy land has the 76ers last 5 years been better than the Hawks last 10?

Obviously the idea isn't following just on court success. They have made moves to set them up for championships in the future regardless of the bumps along the way. That is something the Hawks have never been honest championship contenders. I'd take 19 years of 25 wins for 1 championship over bounced in a round or 2 and I guess thats where we differ.

Edited by davis171
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

It's truly a shame that the media has glorified the tanking strategy to the point that it has brainwashed a fan base into thinking this is a strategy the team should employ.  Like I have said before, the ONLY thing tanking guarantees is 3-5 years of losing.

What is your strategy? What would you have done considering the complete DISASTER that was BudCox.  No one who is competitive wants us to lose but I'm tired of the hindsight stuff. The path is chosen, I'm in as a fan but I realize we have to make it count.  You say 3-5 years... I say, give me two to show a solid strategy.  You may love exiting  in the first round to say we made the playoffs.  I don't.  

11 minutes ago, deester11 said:

What is your strategy? What would you have done considering the complete DISASTER that was BudCox.  No one who is competitive wants us to lose but I'm tired of the hindsight stuff. The path is chosen, I'm in as a fan but I realize we have to make it count.  You say 3-5 years... I say, give me two to show a solid strategy.  You may love exiting  in the first round to say we made the playoffs.  I don't.  

My strategy would have kept the team competitive instead of becoming a complete dumpster fire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Two to show a solid strategy?  You won't even know what the team has in whoever they draft with their top pick this year in 2 years..  

If you think this year has been bad, wait till you see the potential roster for 2018-2019.  If Moose opts in, he, Dennis, and Baze will likely be the only players on the roster with more than 2 years of experience.  I highly doubt you see Atlanta add any veterans.  Well, it's unlikely that any veterans will be interested in signing with what will likely end up being a sub 20 win team.

This team will probably have around 7 players, if not more, who have 1 year or less of experience in the NBA.  That's a frightening though and one that will lead to a boat load of losses for that season.  

Might as well start seeing which hyped up 19 year old you will want with a top 3 pick in the 2019 draft.  2020 as well.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

If you think this year has been bad, wait till you see the potential roster for 2018-2019.  If Moose opts in, he, Dennis, and Baze will likely be the only players on the roster with more than 2 years of experience.  I highly doubt you see Atlanta add any veterans.  Well, it's unlikely that any veterans will be interested in signing with what will likely end up being a sub 20 win team.

This team will probably have around 7 players, if not more, who have 1 year or less of experience in the NBA.  That's a frightening though and one that will lead to a boat load of losses for that season.  

Might as well start seeing which hyped up 19 year old you will want with a top 3 pick in the 2019 draft.  2020 as well.

#LaMeloATL2020

Edited by davis171

22 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Two to show a solid strategy?  You won't even know what the team has in whoever they draft with their top pick this year in 2 years..  

Well...you seem to know more than the current GM and most fans.  You remain a fan although you disdain the direction and those who are still supporting the team.  I'm asking you specifically what would you do NOW.  You can't or shouldn't moan about what's not here. It won't change the personnel.  3-5 years is your timeline.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Something we will agree on.  Danny Ferry should not have been fired.  In fact, we should have corrected that wrong and hired him back instead of Travis Schlenk this past off season.  Instead, we have a numb skull who is in over his head.

Might well be true.  I will take the Collins pick as some evidence of competence, but who knows.  I wanted to believe in Billy Knight, but he didn’t have a coherent vision for building a team. 

19 minutes ago, deester11 said:

Now THAT is strategy!

He won't respond he knows that the hawks were aging and getting worse every year. Go sign Lebron that is the only way to get the hawks to a championship contender . Paul George wouldn't have made the hawks a contender even. Rebuild as Lebron ages hopefully the east will open up a bit as the hawks roster hits their stride a few years down the line.

It's almost like none of you have read the CBA. It clearly states:

"Any team that makes the playoffs twelve (12) years in a row without a star player shall be awarded one (1) star player of their choosing or up to three (3) of LaVar Ball's children." 

We were so close!

• Like 4

9 hours ago, davis171 said:

He won't respond he knows that the hawks were aging and getting worse every year. Go sign Lebron that is the only way to get the hawks to a championship contender . Paul George wouldn't have made the hawks a contender even. Rebuild as Lebron ages hopefully the east will open up a bit as the hawks roster hits their stride a few years down the line.

Here's your strategy:  Let's just give up on even trying to win games because of LeBron.  Let's spend the next 5 years at the bottom of the league standings and hope that out of those 5 picks, we can get two good players.  That way, we can pull the wool over the eyes of our fanbase and convince them that the future is bright with these two players.  Along the way, we can't sign any veterans because we want to set up a culture where there is no accountability for the young players on the team.  We want to just give them jobs they haven't earned.  We want to play young and free and lose a lot of games in the process.  We want to establish a losing culture that will be difficult to overcome.

11 hours ago, davis171 said:

Obviously the idea isn't following just on court success. They have made moves to set them up for championships in the future regardless of the bumps along the way. That is something the Hawks have never been honest championship contenders. I'd take 19 years of 25 wins for 1 championship over bounced in a round or 2 and I guess thats where we differ.

Not if you're a ticket buying fan you wouldn't.

The feeling of winning a championship is great.  But losing is absolutely horrible.  Losing will not only suck the life out of you, it will possibly make you not love the game anymore.

In essence, you're saying that you'd rather trade the last 10 years of the Sacramento Kings, for the last 10 years of the Atlanta Hawks.  I call complete BS on that.  The Kings played the tank game like they should, and even got a Hall of Fame player in Demarcus Cousins.  And not even a 40 win season to show for it.  And they felt that they had to trade their Hall of Famer, to start completely from scratch.

They're about to embark on their 12th consecutive losing season in which they've missed the playoffs.  9 head coaches in that span, by the way.  When you lose for that long, a championship is the furthest thing from your mind.  They'd kill just to be an 8th seed 4 - 0 sacrifice to the Golden State Warriors at this point, to give the fan base just a glimmer of hope.

While the Hawks may have hit the reset button to get that franchise player, they may have actually messed up by NOT re-signing Millsap and keeping Dwight for one more year.  I say that because John Collins actually looks like a legit talent.  A talent that, if developed properly, could be an All-Star.  How great would it have been for his development, for him to be playing along a dominant rebounder and good post player like Dwight, and a versatile defensive stalwart with a mixed bag of offensive skills like Millsap?

Instead, the only people that Collins is learning from, is a coaching staff trying to turn him into a stretch 4, while not developing his interior game ( because they don't him to be "too good", in fear that it might lead to wins ).

This season has stunted the growth of our other lottery pick, Taurean Prince.  Some in the fan base are even starting to turn on him, because he can't function as a legit 3rd scoring option.  And poor Dennis.  The PG who battled John Wall toe to toe in last year's playoffs, has to endure a tank season in which most of his weapons were taken away from him.  He can't properly be developed either, because if he plays too well, it will lead to wins.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

This season has stunted the growth of our other lottery pick, Taurean Prince.  Some in the fan base are even starting to turn on him, because he can't function as a legit 3rd scoring option.  And poor Dennis.  The PG who battled John Wall toe to toe in last year's playoffs, has to endure a tank season in which most of his weapons were taken away from him.  He can't properly be developed either, because if he plays too well, it will lead to wins.

The beauty is that we will have all of those players next year.  They can be developed properly over the summer and instructed to play the right way next year which starts in 22 games thank goodness!

3 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

The beauty is that we will have all of those players next year.  They can be developed properly over the summer and instructed to play the right way next year which starts in 22 games thank goodness!

What veterans are going to be brought in to help them, because the biggest issue this year is the lack of that veteran presence on the roster?  Vets that can show these guys how to win, show them the consistent effort it takes to grind out wins.  

You are about to learn how difficult it is to develop young players properly in a losing environment.  Hell, like I said earlier, half the roster next year will be made up of players who have 1 year or fewer years of experience.  That's not a recipe for winning.

7 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The feeling of winning a championship is great.  But losing is absolutely horrible.  Losing will not only suck the life out of you, it will possibly make you not love the game anymore.

In essence, you're saying that you'd rather trade the last 10 years of the Sacramento Kings, for the last 10 years of the Atlanta Hawks.  I call complete BS on that.  The Kings played the tank game like they should, and even got a Hall of Fame player in Demarcus Cousins.  And not even a 40 win season to show for it.  And they felt that they had to trade their Hall of Famer, to start completely from scratch.

They're about to embark on their 12th consecutive losing season in which they've missed the playoffs.  9 head coaches in that span, by the way.  When you lose for that long, a championship is the furthest thing from your mind.  They'd kill just to be an 8th seed 4 - 0 sacrifice to the Golden State Warriors at this point, to give the fan base just a glimmer of hope.

While the Hawks may have hit the reset button to get that franchise player, they may have actually messed up by NOT re-signing Millsap and keeping Dwight for one more year.  I say that because John Collins actually looks like a legit talent.  A talent that, if developed properly, could be an All-Star.  How great would it have been for his development, for him to be playing along a dominant rebounder and good post player like Dwight, and a versatile defensive stalwart with a mixed bag of offensive skills like Millsap?

Instead, the only people that Collins is learning from, is a coaching staff trying to turn him into a stretch 4, while not developing his interior game ( because they don't him to be "too good", in fear that it might lead to wins ).

10 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

You are dumb to think resigning Paul to a 3 year deal worth 90+ mil to mentor a player. The fact is the hawks were aging and were going to have to go into the luxury tax to even be a playoff team. Please explain why our ownership should spend an additional 20mil to be a mediocre team 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

What veterans are going to be brought in to help them, because the biggest issue this year is the lack of that veteran presence on the roster?  Vets that can show these guys how to win, show them the consistent effort it takes to grind out wins.  

You are about to learn how difficult it is to develop young players properly in a losing environment.  Hell, like I said earlier, half the roster next year will be made up of players who have 1 year or fewer years of experience.  That's not a recipe for winning.

We'll have plenty of flexibility to sign veteran players at a discount I might add

• Like 1