• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

1 minute ago, MaceCase said:

I suggest you throw on a pair of reading glasses, perhap unglue the Henry Abbott articles from the tip of your nose and re-read the past page.  The Kings hit on a pick and proceeded to either trade other picks, wasted other picks duplicating the position of the pick they already successfully hit on, and threw out high dollar deals and cap to past their prime vets.  To top that off they traded the one player they successfully hit on for the worst package for any star traded in the past 14 months.

The Kings are a prime example of everything a team in the lottery can do wrong.  Tell me, do you use the Brooklyn Nets as the prime example of everything a team should do to stay in the playoffs?

I can read just fine.  The Kings tanked, and have been in the lottery for 12 years.  I don't need anything that you want to try to throw in there as reasons why their tanking didn't work.  The fact is, they tanked.  It didn't work.  

The same thing goes for the 76ers.  They tanked, and they might make the playoffs in year 5 of their tank.  It didn't work.  

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I can read just fine.  The Kings tanked, and have been in the lottery for 12 years.  I don't need anything that you want to try to throw in there as reasons why their tanking didn't work.  The fact is, they tanked.  It didn't work.  

The same thing goes for the 76ers.  They tanked, and they might make the playoffs in year 5 of their tank.  It didn't work.  

You just interpret information different than everyone else the 76ers are a major success and have a very bright future.

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Heh, I guess if you stick to your own definitions of which you can tweak whenever the mood suits you you can never be wrong.

However, according to my datasets it’s a sunny day in March with temperatures above 40 Fahrenheit therefore you are unequivocally and categorically wrong.  This is fun.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, MaceCase said:

Heh, I guess if you stick to your own definitions of which you can tweak whenever the mood suits you you can never be wrong.

However, according to my datasets it’s a sunny day in March with temperatures above 40 Fahrenheit therefore you are unequivocally and categorically wrong.  This is fun.

It's actually 59 and raining, but try again.

Just now, Wretch said:

I was gonna post this article too.  It’s interesting that he makes the distinction between tanking and rebuilding.

I thought I was losing my mind for a minute. Rebuilding has always been a thing, but the narrative around tanking has overshadowed the entire methodology. To the point where you can’t even talk about rebooting without being called a tanking scumbag. 

I 100% agree It isn't like Schlenk went out and traded away any value. The hawks just had 0 assets for him to work with.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, davis171 said:

I 100% agree It isn't like Schlenk went out and traded away any value. The hawks just had 0 assets for him to work with.

He intentionally fielded a roster that couldn't win.  That is tanking.

Brooklyn is the cautionary tale that shows that being win at all costs is unlikely to work, just as tanking severely likely also doesn't work.

i don't consider the Hawks to be tanking severely. Yes tanking, but not as severe as maybe thought.

Adam Silver can't prove anything. As long as the Hawks (or any team) don't tell on themselves like Cuban / Hinkie did then there's not much the league can do.

Although it would be very Atlanta/Georgia sports for Silver to decide to drop the hammer on a franchise.

Edited by DBac

13 minutes ago, KB21 said:

He intentionally fielded a roster that couldn't win.  That is tanking.

Because he thought if we aren't going to compete why bother being mediocre and getting a mediocre draft pick when you can get more value at the top of the draft.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Brooklyn is the cautionary tale that shows that being win at all costs is unlikely to work, just as tanking severely likely also doesn't work.

i don't consider the Hawks to be tanking severely. Yes tanking, but not as severe as maybe thought.

I 100% agree I think tank this year and next year plan is back in playoffs in 2-3 seasons by using our cap space when the contracts expire to pair with our high draft picks but could be wrong I don't know if it'll work but at least we are trying something different.

Edited by davis171

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

So, this excuses how the 76ers missed on 3 of the 5 top 5 draft picks they have had during their tank?

Who is excusing anything?  They could’ve drafted better, but even blowing 60% of their picks, they have the necessary 2-superstar core to win a championship.  That proves you can tank and screw up most of your picks and still come out with what you wanted.  We ended up with a 50-win team 5 years into Billy Knight’s incoherent rebuild.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

Who is excusing anything?  They could’ve drafted better, but even blowing 60% of their picks, they have the necessary 2-superstar core to win a championship.  That proves you can tank and screw up most of your picks and still come out with what you wanted.  We ended up with a 50-win team 5 years into Billy Knight’s incoherent rebuild.  

Thanks to veteran additions to the team during that span of time.   Do you really think they get there had they tried to build exclusively from the draft the way some of you pro tankers want to do?

This is why the Hawks should sign Derrick Favors this off season.  Start back adding the veterans to shorten this god forsaken losing.

Edited by KB21

7 minutes ago, davis171 said:

I 100% agree I think tank this year and next year plan is back in playoffs in 2-3 seasons by using our cap space when the contracts expire to pair with our high draft picks but could be wrong I don't know if it'll work but at least we are trying something different.

Here you go, CBA Reject.

This is the entire basis of supporting the tank.  The majority of the supports truly believe that this is just a 2-3 year process.  It isn't.  It's a guaranteed 3-5 year process, more than likely 5 plus years of losing rather then 3 or fewer years of losing.

2 minutes ago, DBac said:

Hinkie admitted that drafting is hard, which is why asset collection was a big deal for him. Get as many chances at the top of the draft as you can get.

Yeah, and screw the hard working fans who are paying to see the trash he put on the floor.

1 minute ago, KB21 said:

Here you go, CBA Reject.

This is the entire basis of supporting the tank.  The majority of the supports truly believe that this is just a 2-3 year process.  It isn't.  It's a guaranteed 3-5 year process, more than likely 5 plus years of losing rather then 3 or fewer years of losing.

I do not I said I think the hawks think that. I do think we TRY to recruit Kawhi Lenoard type players if you have the cap space because WHY THE HELL WOULLDN'T YOU.

Edited by davis171

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Thanks to veteran additions to the team during that span of time.   Do you really think they get there had they tried to build exclusively from the draft the way some of you pro tankers want to do?

This is why the Hawks should sign Derrick Favors this off season.  Start back adding the veterans to shorten this god forsaken losing.

But I thought you couldn’t add veterans without a “winning culture”.  This is one of the main reasons you keep saying “tanking doesn’t work”.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KB21 said:

That is the worst thing for the hawks to do why would Favors come here and play center when he doesn't even want to do it for a playoff team? Signing vets to try to speed up the rebuild is EXACTLY what the kings did.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

But I thought you couldn’t add veterans without a “winning culture”.  This is one of the main reasons you keep saying “tanking doesn’t work”.  

The free agent outlook was different back then.  Atlanta gave Joe Johnson the opportunity to be the guy, and it was an overpay.