• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

On 2/26/2018 at 1:25 PM, Diesel said:

If all you see is Steph and Klay, then you have missed it.  You know who else have tanked for years?  Minnesota.   Dallas.   Charlotte. New York.   Tanking is meaningless without the right structure and environment.   Why do you think the Spurs never have a down year.,, No matter who shows up??  Certainly it's not Parker and Ginobili.

It takes knowing when to cut bait on players and which to cut bait on. We should have traded Sap a year ago thats what put us in this situation.

On 3/2/2018 at 1:30 PM, AHF said:

The draft brings up an interesting question.  You said right before the draft last year that the Hawks should take Bell but at #19.  That would mean no Collins. 

Who would your alternative pick then be at #31?

You can't trade for Jae Crowder for Prince and picks because you don't have room to fit that salary onto the roster.  For your future trades, list the picks please.  Not sure if you are talking about our first round pick this year or a 2025 2nd round pick.

Any ideas on the vet minimum players who would have chosen our team over other teams?  

Here is your new roster:

Roster Spots   Salary
1 Dwight Howard $23,500,000
2 Paul Millsap $31,269,231
3 Kent Bazemore $16,910,113
4 Ersan Ilyasova $6,000,000
5 Jordan Bell $1,936,920
6 #31 Pick $815,615
7 Dennis Schröder $15,500,000
8 Malcolm Delaney $2,500,000
9 Taurean Waller-Prince $2,422,560
10 DeAndre' Bembry $1,567,200
11 Mike Muscala $5,000,000
12 Thabo Sephalosha $5,250,000
  Total: $112,671,639

That was also under the assumption that Collins wouldn't be there, but I'll play along.  If Collins hadn't been there and I drafted Jordan Bell, I would have taken Juwan Evans at 31.  

Just now, davis171 said:

Not when you are paying extra for an old team nobody wants to watch. I'd rather go watch some young prospects than a borderline playoff team with no future.

Oh, I know you would rather watch losing than winning, but I hate losing, so that's not me.   You will get what you want.  This team will have no fewer than 150 losses over the next three years, and the biggest loss this team will have is Mike Budenholzer.

Just now, KB21 said:

Oh, I know you would rather watch losing than winning, but I hate losing, so that's not me.   You will get what you want.  This team will have no fewer than 150 losses over the next three years, and the biggest loss this team will have is Mike Budenholzer.

Brett Brown is still the 76ers coach right?

• Moderators

I'd rather take Bomba than trade back.  If we trade back I'll be happy to see people leave this team because they will have screwed this franchise like KB thinks is happening for the opposite reason that he thinks it is happening.  

#Remember Sura - Never Forget

I'm a UK fan but Knox would be a huge fail.  He could be a successful player for sure but he is absolutely not the profile of a player that you tank for.

6 hours ago, KB21 said:

Stop with the straw men.  Nobody would rather watch losing than winning.  It is just more interesting to see a young, hungry team that has a future than an expensive, mediocre, veteran team that tries half the time, knowing the first round will be another embarrassment.  For decades, the first word association for “Atlanta Hawks” has been “mediocrity”.  They honorably took their first round beating by a real team and set about finding away to repeat the same outcome the next year.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, CBAreject said:

Memphis is going to out-tank us all.  Their 13th loss in a row came to the Magic.  They may not win again. 

They have fully committed to the tank - shutting down key players for the year, etc.  They are showing more will to tank shamelessly than we are so far.

9 minutes ago, CBAreject said:

Stop with the straw men.  Nobody would rather watch losing than winning.  It is just more interesting to see a young, hungry team that has a future than an expensive, mediocre, veteran team that tries half the time, knowing the first round will be another embarrassment.  For decades, the first word association for “Atlanta Hawks” has been “mediocrity”.  They honorably took their first round beating by a real team and set about finding away to repeat the same outcome the next year.  

It's not a straw man argument.  This idea that you would rather see a young, hungry team is absolutely more about watching losing than winning.  That's what young and hungry gets you.  Losing.  Plus, you act like it is a guarantee that just because the team is young and hungry, it has a better future than a team that was already in the playoffs with a top 25 player in the NBA in Paul Millsap.  The Hawks would be absolutely fortunate if whatever "young and hungry" player they got in the draft is even half as good as Paul Millsap is.

The bottom line is, if you support tanking, you support losing.  I will never support tanking.  The Hawks will not get another dime of my money till they put a competitive team back on the court or Travis Schlenk is fired.

Just so everyone will know, let me tell you how this "rebuild" is going to go:

This year, the Hawks are going to have between 20 and 24 wins.  They will get a high draft pick.

Next year, the Hawks are going to have between 20 and 24 wins.  They will get another high draft pick.

In year three, the Hawks will have between 20 and 24 wins again.  They will get another high draft pick.

In year 4, the Hawks will actually jump up to the 30-34, but another lottery pick will be on the way.

In year 5, the Hawks will finally break the 40 win mark and win between 40 and 44 games.  They may are may not be in the playoffs by this time.

In year 6 and year 7, they will hover around the 40-44 win mark before they decide to tank again.

Sorry, but no championship will come out of this tank.

I'd rather neither team if your choice is in between a 43-45 win team that has talent but has chemistry and effort issues, thus they get blown out by teams that aren't as good as them and a 18-24 win team but if you pointed a gun at my head, give me the team that gives you no hope over the false hope and false bravado over a playoff spot means everything when it doesn't and the playoffs need to get contracted.

7 hours ago, davis171 said:

Not when you are paying extra for an old team nobody wants to watch. I'd rather go watch some young prospects than a borderline playoff team with no future.

Yep.See Lakers..