• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Well, now you will likely have 10 plus years of embarrassing losing, multiple seasons with 60 plus losses, and no hope for it to end anytime soon.

This is a shockingly bad post for someone I liked before the tank but generally disagree with a lot lately. 

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

What's bad about it?

There's no way you can believe it'll take 10 years of suckitude before the Hawk's are relevant again. I get the hate of the tank, but wouldn't you think the direction of this team can be better guaged in 3 years or less?  Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I would rather see the direction Schlenk goes in another year at least. The East won't shift powers that quickly anyway. 

• Premium Member
On 3/10/2018 at 0:30 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's exactly what he did though.

If you're going to bottom the team out, any deal made for Dwight had to be one that DIDN'T improve the team, but made it worse.  And if you had to take on a bad contract to do it, so be it . . . in his eyes.

It's an indication that Schlenk intends on playing the lottery for MULTIPLE years, not just one year.  

Put it like this . . . if we draft one of the bigs, do you think Plumlee even is in the rotation next season?  Especially if we cut a deal to bring back Dedmon?

Oh how blinded the eyes of some of these Hawks fans are.  You are 1000% correct.   Schlenk didn't gut this team to get back quickly.  Schlenk gutted this team to keep it on the cheap while he amasses Lottery pick after lottery pick.  I see these guys with their hearts set on Dennis and Baze being around.   The only way that they hang around is if we can't deal them for trash.  The only player that we have that Might be on the team when we finally start winning is Collins... and that's not guaranteed either. 

morevoer, as I have said, the only way that we end up with 2 or 3 good high lottery picks is if we pipe the leg of whoever we draft. 

• Premium Member
On 3/10/2018 at 6:02 PM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

If we were going to be a very bad team with Dwight, why did we make the deal?  

Plumlee's contract went 1 year longer than Dwight's.   So you mean that we sacrificed the chance to have 23 million come off the books in the Summer of 2019, to have a net of 10 million come off this season, and just 10 million next season?   Or did you forget that we still owe Plumlee 25 million over the next 2 years?

Not to mention, in hs final year, because he's still playing at an above average level, his contract would have been coveted by many teams in the league as a good player who comes off the books at the end of the season. 

7 minutes ago, deester11 said:

There's no way you can believe it'll take 10 years of suckitude before the Hawk's are relevant again. I get the hate of the tank, but wouldn't you think the direction of this team can be better guaged in 3 years or less?  Maybe I'm overly optimistic but I would rather see the direction Schlenk goes in another year at least. The East won't shift powers that quickly anyway. 

The Hawks will not even have a good idea of what they have in the first pick they make this year in 3 years time.   There's a better than average chance that you guys will be making the same excuses for their first round pick as people are making for Andrew Wiggins.

Nothing that I hate more than absolutely, completely garbage takes. I mean it's amazing how bad some of the garbage takes are.

No one that is a major game changer in free agency was going to willingly come to the Hawks, tanking or not tanking. Take away all the Hawks draft picks and you ensure the Hawks being bad for the next 100 years. Book it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CBAreject said:

Ten years of embarrassing playoff exits.  Even our ECF season was embarrassing—we had way too much trouble dispatching a bad Nets team and then meekly took a historical beating from the Cavs.  The worst out of those appearances was the historical beating from #2 Orlando when we were the third seed.  Then there were the numerous other sweeps by the Cavs.  Every year, the narrative was that we were no more than a speed bump for a real team.  

This is what I don't understand from those who didn't want to go down this road we are on. We weren't any closer to a ring then, then we are now. But just being in the playoffs was apparently enough for them. This team has 0 rings. So 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, what is the difference? We weren't getting one with a core we couldn't keep together and a core we couldn't add a superstar to. 

• Like 3

@Diesel, I'm completely, 100% done with Dennis but you are a Dwight Howard HOMER if you still think Dwight Howard is still a game changing player and Jeff Teague being on the team would have made last year much better. Far from the truth. Far from it. It would have still been a mediocre, miserable team that got stomped 10 feet into the ground every 5 games.

In fact, we need to change your name to Dwight Howard HOMER.

• Like 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Oh how blinded the eyes of some of these Hawks fans are.  You are 1000% correct.   Schlenk didn't gut this team to get back quickly.  Schlenk gutted this team to keep it on the cheap while he amasses Lottery pick after lottery pick.  I see these guys with their hearts set on Dennis and Baze being around.   The only way that they hang around is if we can't deal them for trash.  The only player that we have that Might be on the team when we finally start winning is Collins... and that's not guaranteed either. 

morevoer, as I have said, the only way that we end up with 2 or 3 good high lottery picks is if we pipe the leg of whoever we draft. 

With the shifting draft rules next year, odds are significantly better for teams in the middle of the lottery to leap up near the top.  I agree that we aren't going to try to win next year but I don't think we'll be as desperate to be near the bottom unless we screw up down the stretch and end up with a mediocre pick.  We can't let that happen.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/10/2018 at 6:35 PM, MaceCase said:

To clear up cap space, break his salary down to smaller more manageable deals, not have a player on the team that will bristle at not being made a focal point or benched like he already did underneath BudCox's management amongst other previous stops?

A big part of why Charlotte sucks has a lot to do with the fact they've chosen to emphasize Dwight.  Looks great for Dwight but as we can all see, it's not great for the team or any team for that matter in today's NBA.  You're probably going to ask next "well why not keep Dwight and make him a focal point if that leads to losses?"  Well, this is not the Atlanta Dwight showcase.  Charlotte had him on the block despite his stats and had no takers themselves because most have recognized a long time ago that him as a focal point is fool's gold and his ego plus salary are too great to be acceptable as a role player. 

Collecting losses was one part of the goal, having the cap flexibility to capitalize on the global stagnation of the NBA's salary cap was another.

A big part of why Charlotte sucks is that:

1.  They lack shooting from the field (ranked 25 out of 30). 

2.   They lack good ball handling.  (#2 in the league in opp. steals) While only ranking 27th in the league in steals. 

3.  They have nobody off the bench that does anything. 

4.  Marvin Williams is a starter. 

5.  They don't defend the perimeter well.   (31.2% of their opponents points come from 3 that's 23rd in the league)

9 minutes ago, noble said:

This is what I don't understand from those who didn't want to go down this road we are on. We weren't any closer to a ring then, then we are now. But just being in the playoffs was apparently enough for them. This team has 0 rings. So 3 years, 5 years, 10 years, what is the difference? We weren't getting one with a core we couldn't keep together and a core we couldn't add a superstar to. 

Yeah, so let's just intentionally lose games, blow everything up, and be losers for eternity just because we can't beat LeBron James.

5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

A big part of why Charlotte sucks is that:

1.  They lack shooting from the field (ranked 25 out of 30). 

2.   They lack good ball handling.  (#2 in the league in opp. steals) While only ranking 27th in the league in steals. 

3.  They have nobody off the bench that does anything. 

4.  Marvin Williams is a starter. 

5.  They don't defend the perimeter well.   (31.2% of their opponents points come from 3 that's 23rd in the league)

I'm sorry but it's only on Dwight Howard that they suck. If Cody Zeller were healthy and starting over him, they are MUUUUUCCCCCCHHHHHHH better.

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, KB21 said:

Wait until they are 28?  So, this is now the tanking strategy?  Bottom out the roster to get a 19 year old prospect, overpay said prospect on second deal, and then wait till he's 9-10 seasons into his career before making a decision on whether the pick has worked out?

Isn't that what we always do??  I mean... come on.. Marvin??  Somebody is still waiting for him to be the next Jordan. 

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Sothron said:

This is why I consider this playoff streak a token achievement. Those teams were the literal definition of a playoff team that had no chance in ever actually winning a title.

And you think the tank teams will??

Image result for slow laugh gif

6 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah, so let's just intentionally lose games, blow everything up, and be losers for eternity just because we can't beat LeBron James.

We were already losers for eternity, prove me wrong. How many championships have we played for?

So to flip your logic on you. Let's try to keep together a team that has zero chance of winning a ring, that we can't add the superstar needed to win one, just so we can feel good that we made the playoffs and not win a ring for eternity.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks will not even have a good idea of what they have in the first pick they make this year in 3 years time.   There's a better than average chance that you guys will be making the same excuses for their first round pick as people are making for Andrew Wiggins.

Lmao it has been 5 years for the 76ers the longest playoff drought the east is weak so playoff teams tend to fluctuate more than the west 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

@Diesel, I'm completely, 100% done with Dennis but you are a Dwight Howard HOMER if you still think Dwight Howard is still a game changing player and Jeff Teague being on the team would have made last year much better. Far from the truth. Far from it. It would have still been a mediocre, miserable team that got stomped 10 feet into the ground every 5 games.

In fact, we need to change your name to Dwight Howard HOMER.

Strawman...

• Premium Member
32 minutes ago, noble said:

Mainly because hen you are in contention, FAs take you seriously.   We were considered to be in good enough standing to get Gallinari until Schlenk decided to blow everything up. 

Howard came as a FA. 

Sap resigned as a FA... we won him over Orlando. 

However, when you start the tank game.. nobody wants to play for you. 

Just now, Diesel said:

Mainly because hen you are in contention, FAs take you seriously.   We were considered to be in good enough standing to get Gallinari until Schlenk decided to blow everything up. 

Howard came as a FA. 

Sap resigned as a FA... we won him over Orlando. 

However, when you start the tank game.. nobody wants to play for you. 

I would argue no one has wanted to play for us anyway. What superstar has wanted to come to Atlanta?